Save my Saturn..

Myname

Established Member
Alright, a while back I bought a white Japanese Saturn on eBay and straight away it started having a few problems where it was saying the lid was open when it was closed and vice-versa. I opened it up to have a look and (apart from noticing that there was a mod installed) it seemed the switch that tells the Saturn whether the lid is open or closed had gotten messed around so much that it had lost it's spingyness. It would get pushed back by the lid and not return, so the next time you closed the lid there would be no contact.

After months of trying to keep the thing in the right place, I've just given up on that and taped up the switch so it thinks it's shut all the time. This would be fine (although a tad irritating), but now it's developed a whole new problem..

This one can be kind of random, but generally it's that games keep crashing constantly. Sometimes they'll freeze up, sometimes music will loop, sometimes they just won't boot at all and will go straight to the screen where it says it's checking the disc's contents endlessly(it doesn't tend to be spinning when it does this). I'm finding it very difficult to pinpoint a specific symptom because it's so erratic, ie sometimes the game won't boot, but if you try again straight away it might. Either way, I can't get more than ten minutes out of any game I've tried (backups or originals).

At the moment my options are:

1. Smash the fucker up with a hammer and cry at the £100 I've lost by buying the damned thing.

2. Hire a private detective to find the guy who messed it up so badly and/or the person who sold it to me and have them brutally murdered.

3. Hope to hell someone can help.

If any of you can make it #3, I'll have their babies ;)

WARNING: pessemistic viewpoint...

i opened a v-saturn I had bought in a used market in sham shui po... it would not work but the power light came on.

I noticed it was slightly heavier. Inside: a mod chip and... RAGS. Apparently, the thing had been modded, played, and at some point subject to a flood. The rags were put inside to soak up the water/ moisture(?)

I dunno. But i have never been able to bring it back to condition. I have used the bios and parts for other saturns. The moral: game systems can look very new on the outside but people across seas know of our love for their products, so Trojan horses are everywhere.

The guy HAD to know it was broken when he sold it to me. I go him down to HK$15. Which is about 2 bucks american! But he was trying to sell it for like $250 to foreigners thinking they wouldn't be able to test it until they got back to wherever...

sympathies... but I think your problems sound like more than a simple fix. With the price of saturns now, you may be better off salvaging the parts and making a new system out of 2 erratic ones.

Maybe Des can do some ceremonial rituals to revive it. Catfly! :catfly

I don't really blame the guy who sold it to me, he's a big ebay seller so he probably just picked it up, gave it a test and sold it.

Whoever modded it is another matter.. The insides were a mess, and that's with one of those mods that only need you to solder to the power board.

I've managed to get it working again (seems that the ribbon cable was so creased up that when you screwed the casing back on the extra little bit of pressure was enough to stop it from working properly). Hopefully it'll stay that way now :)

Well, since I'm not in the US that's not really an option.. But it is working at the moment.

Anyone care to enlighten me about Des-ROW's post? :blink:

Myname, seems you got your problem licked for now, I sure hope so. :)

But in response to your original post, I was going to suggest (and I figured this might still be an option) that you pick up someone's el-cheapo (perhaps non-working) Saturn for parts, and simply transplant its CD-lid switch to your white one, thus solving the whole opened-closed issue for good. Also, I have an inkling that the Saturn just doesn't handle CD changes and booting new games and disc recognition very well when it thinks it's closed all the time. More of a BIOS-getting-confused issue IMHO. I could be wrong of course but that's my feeling. :cool:

Yeah, it is on the mainboard. I'd rather not keep it taped up, but it seems like the only option at the moment. I'm guessing the switch would be difficult to replace, but if anyone's tried it and knows different I'd be interested to know :)

you could try installing another switch, one that you manually operate, something like this setting for when it's open, and this one for when it's not... maybe mount it in the expansion bay so that it doesn't mess with how your saturn looks.

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec 2, 2003 @ 06:51 PM

Um, I knew it was on the main board all along. :blink: Surely Myname can handle a soldering iron? :blink:

You have too much confidence in me :lol: . I can handle most stuff, but for some reason me+solder+Saturn=broken Saturn. I think an old gypsy woman cursed me where the Saturn's concerned. Must admit I thought you meant the actual lid as well..

Is it a reasonable possibilty to replace the switch then?

I would say so Myname (oh, and I'll refrain from attributing too many abilities to you from now on ;) ) - actually what ScaredOoRabbit is suggesting is a pretty good idea... just yank the switch out and solder some wires so you can "open/close" the lid externally...

Back