SCART RGB --> Component converter

So, found this on Ebay...

(click_here)

Dumbest, most convoluted question ever:

Can this allow me to plug a European SCART plug in the back of my US Saturn and convert the signal to NTSC component video?

[Yes, I got bored while searching around for Japanese RGB cables and other converter goodies, and I'm not the smartest pencil in the box in regards to this stuff]

The video coming out of you US Saturn is already in NTSC... so it wouldn't convert it, it already is it. The scart cable is just a wire... it isn't what defines the frequency or refresh of the video, the video source is what defines that.

So yeah... if you get that, it'll let you pluf a SCART cable into your US Saturn and convert it to Component that is still useable on your NTSC television.

Seriously? That almost sounds too good to be true. This would be all I need to give the Saturn good video output?

EDIT: I guess the next, most important question would be...how do you get the Saturn audio out of this?

Well the audio is carried on the Scart lead, not sure why they didn't put audio out on the little device.

You can splice in some audio leads on your own. Either inside the Saturn, or at the Scart female connector on that device. Or well.. where ever you think you can get access to the freakin' things. Search google for the pinout of both the saturn and the Scart cable to find which pins are the audio and ground and put your own in.

That or find another Scart to Component converter that carries the audio as well.

Other then the audio, yeah that's all you need to get the best video quality from the Saturn (besides RGB... but RGB monitors are hard to come across in the US). Because it is converting RGB to Component there will be a slight corruption of video quality, but it will still be much better then S-video.

So...Belkin apparently manufactures something like this (_click_)

But, suppose you don't want component, but VGA. And you still want the audio.

The idea I had was...

1. use Saturn European SCART cable.

2. Get a SCART splitter (apparently these exist)

3. Get a SCART -> VGA cable (apparently these exist too)

4. Get a SCART -> Audio only cable (these are also apparently out there --> Belkin manufactures them)

5. Use the two-way splitter to send one SCART to a monitor, and the other SCART to speaker equipment.

Would this way work? It would require, oh...4 different cable purchases, but if it's feasible, it would appear to give best quality audio and video.

That Belkin cable doesn't convert between RGB and component, it's for devices that already transport component video over SCART.

There are SCART RGB to VGA boxes that will do all you need, such as this one, but they can be somewhat expensive. There's also SCART RGB to HDMI boxes.

To get the sound out with the component converter, use an adapter with audio breakout.

It was expensive, but the Aptus1 RGB-YUV converter I got from Keene electronics has a nice 1/8" audio-out jack, and is otherwise a truly top-quality product. There is nobody I would not recommend it to.

Here's a link.

Back