SEGA closes offices in France, Germany, Spain, Australia and Benelux. London HQ will remain

vbt

Staff member
SEGA have just announced that many of their European offices are about to close. New distribution partners have been announced across France, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.

The veteran developer/publisher are “realigning” their strategy and closing all offices apart from the London headquarters. The UK office will be responsible for managing European distribution from July 1st, assisted by Koch Media, Level03 Distribution and 5 Star Games.

“SEGA is entering a new and exciting phase that will position the company as a content led organisation maximising sales with strong and balanced IP such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Total War, Football Manager and the Aliens franchise,” said Jurgen Post, COO of SEGA Europe.

Rumours of closures originated at E3 but were quickly snuffed out by Studio Director at Sports Interactive, Miles Jacobson. His crytpic tweet may or may not have something to do with the sport they call “footkick.”

Good luck to all at Sega Europe with their transition into the digital-heavy strategy. Our sympathies go out to those affected negatively by the changes.

Source : http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/28/s...-australia-and-benelux-london-hq-will-remain/

Nice !

And I was all optimistic and excited that maybe, just maybe this will lead Sega into re-entering the hardware business.
sad.gif

So much for that thought. I thought they were doing great for a change this past fiscal year ?

But what do you expect ? Somehow they've been surviving as a skeleton crew with no founders or software members like Yuji-Naka or Yu Suzuki etc.

Game quality and brand control are so low it's rather disappointing. The last game that I bought was Sonic generations (Last sonic game I bought was Adventure 1 in 1998) and was SEVERELY let down by its offering. And the Last Sega developed or published game before that was.... Umm... Ahhh...

Oh ! Panzer dragoon Orta in 2003. Actually bought an Xbox just for it.

Since then there was NOTHING that could grab my attention whatsoever sadly.

I think it's Sega who left us and not the other way around so maybe this happening is not a surprise at all.

Right ?
huh.gif

All Sega has to do to succeed is to hire competent QA people to greenlight their projects at certain intervals. Periodically pooping out mediocre Sonic games to stay in the public awareness is not how you win the game. Remember the weird old days when Sega was in charge of F-ZERO?

Back