SEGA Saturn & MEGAMAN X3...

I bought MEGA MAN X3 for my SEGA SATURN. What surprised me is that the game is not displayed in full screen, but rather each level has a rectangular border surrounding the screen like a picture frame! The border changes color & shape depending on the level, but it's always there & didn't find a way to get rid of! That sucks!

I played MEGA MAN X4, X5 on the PS-1, but they're in full screen with no border. Is the PS-1 version of MEGA MAN X3 like the Saturn, with that lousy border? I'm thinking about buying it for my PS-1 so I wouldn't like any surprises of that kind!

Thanks.

Vertical borders?

You mean two horizontal borders? one at the top and another at the bottom?

That happens when playing NTSC games on PAL consoles...

No I'm playing a PAL game on a PAL SEGA Saturn!

I mean a rectangular border surrounding the screen like a picture frame!

It's colour & shape changes depending on the level you are.

Does this also exist on the PS-1 version as well?

The rectangular border in textured & changes depending on the level that it surrounds.

It's like part of the graphics but makes the screen look smaller. Kind of like the graphic border in DOOM on the 32X, because it could not be displayed on full screen!

This is strange since I thought the 2D graphic capabilities of the Saturn were great?! I didn't know it needed borders to reduce the screen size?!

Could be a form of hypercheap PAL-fixing that preserves the aspect ratio by adding borders to the side of the picture. The only example of this I've seen personally is Parodius 2 on the Playstation.

You're all wrong.

They re-used almost all the art assets from the SNES, and there's SOME wrapped SNES code in there, which prevents them from running a ful 320x240... and I don't think Saturn supports 256 pixel width.

The strange borders being discussed are on the SIDES of the screen, not the top and bottom.

The Megaman X3 was a rushed port from the SNES version, as mentioned. Try Megaman X4 for Saturn instead, and you will see a nice game!

I thought this was kind of odd too. Sort of like someone told the programming team they were doing a vertical shmup instead of a Megaman game..

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Aug 20, 2003 @ 03:13 PM

The Megaman X3 was a rushed port from the SNES version, as mentioned. Try Megaman X4 for Saturn instead, and you will see a nice game!

Well, the music IMO is an improvement over the SNES version ;)

Originally posted by thailees@Aug 21, 2003 @ 04:20 AM

the saturn has animation scenes but the psx has no animation scenes to it..

incorrect, both versions (PSX & Saturn) includes the animated cutscenes.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Aug 20, 2003 @ 02:54 PM

You're all wrong.

They re-used almost all the art assets from the SNES, and there's SOME wrapped SNES code in there, which prevents them from running a ful 320x240... and I don't think Saturn supports 256 pixel width.

The strange borders being discussed are on the SIDES of the screen, not the top and bottom.

OK. But what I want to know is, if the PSX version also has these strange frame borders around the screen, exact same as the Saturn version? Or is the PSX version in fullscreen like the rest of MEGAMAN X4,X5...etc.

Please can someone answer me this? :(

Well retroborg, I have the oposite problem with Legend of Oasis, It is displayed on MORE than full screen, so I can't read all the text because the screen cuts it..... :(

I think thats because my Saturn is NTSC and the game is PAL. Am I right?

Originally posted by alucardgar@Aug 21, 2003 @ 02:57 PM

Well retroborg, I have the oposite problem with Legend of Oasis, It is displayed on MORE than full screen, so I can't read all the text because the screen cuts it..... :(

Correct, it some times cuts borders when playing PAL games on a NTSC console.

X3 shouldn't really be lumped together with X4/X5/X6, as X3 was originally for SNES, while the latter all seem to be using variants of the multiplatform (PSX, Saturn, and PC) X4 engine.

Originally posted by retroborg@Aug 21, 2003 @ 04:31 AM

OK. But what I want to know is, if the PSX version also has these strange frame borders around the screen, exact same as the Saturn version? Or is the PSX version in fullscreen like the rest of MEGAMAN X4,X5...etc.

Please can someone answer me this? :(

PS1 is capable of a 256 pixel wide output. So it probably does display without borders.

Originally posted by alucardgar@Aug 21, 2003 @ 09:57 AM

What you can use to fix this problem is a 50/60HZ switch. I've heard this also fixes speed problems that occur when playing PAL games on NTSC consoles as well as the reduced display you're experiencing.

Originally posted by retroborg+Aug 22, 2003 @ 09:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(retroborg @ Aug 22, 2003 @ 09:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-alucardgar@Aug 21, 2003 @ 09:57 AM

What you can use to fix this problem is a 50/60HZ switch. I've heard this also fixes speed problems that occur when playing PAL games on NTSC consoles as well as the reduced display you're experiencing. [/b][/quote]

Yea, it's called PAL optimisation. It's hailed by us PAL gamers as a blessing cause we finally get full screen dispalys we deserve... but it's always been the blane of NTSC gamers...

Nowerdays most goot games are 50/60Hz anyway, unless you have a PS2, so there's not the issue.

Originally posted by retroborg@Aug 21, 2003 @ 08:19 PM

What you can use to fix this problem is a 50/60HZ switch. I've heard this also fixes speed problems that occur when playing PAL games on NTSC consoles as well as the reduced display you're experiencing.

Is there a software (like saturn country converter) to change a cd image from PAL to NTSC? :huh

Back