Shining Force III CD Read Error

Hi, I own a copy of Shining Force III Scenario III, and I have used cdrwin to make a cue/bin of it. When I load it into girigiri, it plays fine, but when i get to chapter 2, i get a cd read error at the end of the chapter summary. My disk isn't scratched at all, and I have cleaned and re-ripped several times. I don't get errors in any part of the game except for here. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Does the game run on the actual Saturn? The CD may not be scratched, but the original (or backup) it was ripped from could've been scratched, and the rip carried all the errors along it.

I had such problem with a Saturn game before, and it was Shining Force 3 Scenario 3. The game would crash into CD read error in the very first battle, on both the real Saturn and emulators.

biggrin.gif

I've just posted about that in the other thread!
tongue.gif

Originally posted by M3d10n@Apr 21, 2003 @ 06:13 PM

Does the game run on the actual Saturn? The CD may not be scratched, but the original (or backup) it was ripped from could've been scratched, and the rip carried all the errors along it.

I had such problem with a Saturn game before, and it was Shining Force 3 Scenario 3. The game would crash into CD read error in the very first battle, on both the real Saturn and emulators.

To M3d10n:

The game does run on my Saturn, although when I run it there, I get the CD Read Error in battle thing(due to the age of my saturn i guess). However, this time, it does it when it tries to load the End of Chapter dialog. And btw, its the original game.

To Baracuda:

I'll go look now. EDIT: Just looked. That makes sense, but this game was an original, not a download. And I know this doesn't happen(at least, this particular error) on my saturn.

To Jurai:

Thanks, this confirms my thoughts that the CD Read Error battle thingy was from my Saturn

Thanks to all for helping. Unfortunately, the problem isn't solved. I guess I should go try to download it from somewhere(dunno where tho, Jurai's ftp kicks me off before i can finish one part of the download)

Maybe you wont need to download it...

Try making a copy of that original cd, set read speed to 1X or something, with some luck you may be able to copy it perfectly... then just play with that copy <_<

Well, I've tried 6 times now to make a copy and I always get a CD Read Error at the same exact point, right at the chapter end. O ya, the default is 1X speed, so thats not the problem. I guess I will just have to download it.

Originally posted by Jurai@Apr 22, 2003 @ 10:25 AM

you can rely on the emulator to tell you if your game is mssed up

How high is the level of compatability of the emulator?

Originally posted by mal+Apr 22, 2003 @ 09:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Apr 22, 2003 @ 09:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jurai@Apr 22, 2003 @ 10:25 AM

you can rely on the emulator to tell you if your game is mssed up

How high is the level of compatability of the emulator? [/b][/quote]

I believe I have heard that this game is compatible with the new girigiri.

If the errors happened only on the real Saturn, the Saturn itself would be the problem, but if an error manages to happen in your PC CD-ROM (that I suppose is a bit new, and good quality - cheap CD drives will do you no good), then the CD is the problem, and you won't be able to make a copy out of it. Maybe the only way before downloading a backup, or buying a new copy, is trying to resurface the disc.

It may not be scratched, but it can be damaged in other ways. A very common way to screw a CD is to have it receive direct sunlight for some time (like, your CD deck gets hit by some sunlight during a certain time of the day). I lost a bunch DC backups that way (thanks god they were backups). The CDs have no visible strains, but the DC will not read them properly anymore. Some other envronmental conditions can also mess up a CD. The CD plastic itself might suffered a change over time, depending on what it has been through, and that makes it harder to read, and SFIII in particular is a pricky game when it comes to CD integrity - the game will halt on the slightest error. Nights, as example, runs under the worst conditions.

I got a heavly damaged Nights CD, and it takes AGES to load on the Saturn (the level loading sequence gets so screwed when the load time takes longer than expected), and the FMVs are a history, but the game keeps trying and trying, until it finally loads the darn levels.

Back