SNES video outputs - 60hz is driving me insane

I modified my PAL SNES for 50/60hz a few days ago and I'm having a few problems. The mod went fine, but 60hz is giving me flicker with the standard composite cables which I expected to happen without a scart lead. So I went out and bought a scart lead.. Only when I fired up my SNES, the picture dimmed immediately to almost black with the new lead (on botrh 50 and 60hz). Thought it might be the lead, so I bought another with the same result.

I guess my question is, does the SNES even output RGB? I'm fairly sure it does, but it's the only answer I can think of to the problem seeing as the mod has worked fine.

Hope someone can help me out of my frustration :)

Does you telly support 60hz/NTSC signal?

I had a similiar problem with my old TV. It displayed dull colours whilst in 60hz.

I did have a PAL booster for my SNES which did sort out the problem...

Not sure if any of this applies to you, but I thought I might add it.

Yeah, every other console I have works fine with it at 60hz. It even works reasonably with the SNES at 60hz through the composite (just flickers at some points).

Yea, you can get one here, it's exactly what I used to use, so I can recommend them.

This only works on PAL TVs that have colour problems, so you TV must accept the 60hz signal.

The advantage of this is that it works on all systems, as the AV cables plug into it and it has its own AV Cable/RF out.

The downside? No stereo and it's pretty expensive from lik-sang. (I might be willing to trade for my one if you need)

Its to do with the scart cable!! Nintendo designed the RGB outputs of PAL vs NTSC consoles to be slightly different. There is a DC offset in the voltage levels for NTSC consoles, e.g. the signal might vary between 0V and 1V, whereas on a PAL console it varies between -0.5V and +0.5V.

SCART leads designed for use with NTSC consoles have capacitors in the R, G and B lines to remove the DC offset. Having those capacitors present when used with a PAL SNES results in the whole picture being removed.

(The Nintendo-branded RGB SCART cables that you can buy for the GameCube probably have the capacitors too, if the GC uses the same RGB levels as a US SNES.)

Open up the SCART connector shell of your SCART lead. You'll probably see three small cylindrical components in the R, G and B wires. Try removing them (i.e. connect the wires directly to the pin of the SCART connector, not through the capacitor). You should get a picture then, but perhaps not a perfect-quality one.

YOU CAN GET OFFICIAL NINTENDO-BRAND SCART LEADS FOR THE PAL SNES. But they are hard to find, i think they came bundled with the SNES in France!!

Back