So I need to buy a new GBA game

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
I need a game that's going to take me atleast 10 hours to beat, or has enough replay value that I can play it for 10 hours. I'm looking for something adventure like. I'd like it to be like an rpg... but I need something not menu driven for combat. The game doesn't have to be gba... can be gb or gbc also. Something along the lines of zelda (though I already have all those zelda) or final fantasy adventure (have that too, can't wait for sword of mana, which unfortunately won't be out soon enough for my trip), I've also recently completed all 3 castlevania games for the gba lol. In any case I'm desperately in need of a game to play lol, 2 hours at the airport + 4 hour flight... twice = a long wait... and I kill some of that time doing other stuff, but I really need a game to fill time up lol.

that's some tough qualifications

but I would say

Metoid Fusion -- but I don't know if it's long enough

Golden Sun -- but it's menu driven

Yeah, I know... I've spent a lot of time looking, metroid fusion won't work... it just isn't long enough. Golden Sun might work, despite it's menu-driven combat. If only secret of mana was out on gba... then I'd be fine, cause I can play that for hours on end... or some of the other classes snes rpg's... especially those by enix... like illusion of gaia... or actraiser 1.

I was also thinking about maybe giving either Lunar Legends a shot or lufia a shot. Lunar legends I probably won't go for though... cause without the videos and spoken dialogue there just isn't any point IMHO. Lufia I hear they butchered the story on.

How does golden sun compare to say the original breath of fire? BoF was really good... but I go back and play it now... and it just sort of feels like a chore to do all the leveling you need to and stuff.

The new megaman battle network is out which I always thought was fun as hell although I haven't tried this new one. Those games are rpg's but they aren't really menu driven you go into the combat field and do your thing like you would normally in a megaman game. The only menu driven thing really is that you can pick your special attatchments and stuff to use in your real time battle. It's really fun.

I migth give golden sun a shot then. Advance wars was pretty good, but by the time I got through the tutorial I was pretty much done playing it. I have mega man battle network 1... once again was okay... but it left something to be desired or something, just didn't feel right.

I felt the same way it didn't feel open enough or action packed enough in my opinion but 3 goes back to the roots of what made megaman great.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Jul 23, 2003 @ 07:46 PM

I felt the same way it didn't feel open enough or action packed enough in my opinion but 3 goes back to the roots of what made megaman great.

3 is the same as the other 2 so what are you talking about, metroid fusion is easily only 4 hours or less of gaming, Shining Soul is very much like a secret of mana game, I bet you'd enjoy that.

Hmm...this is alittle tough. If you want a game that you can beat in 10 hours max, then go with either Wario Ware Inc., Metroid Fusion, or Lunar Legend. I haven't bought Lufia yet, so I can't reccoment that, but if you do like those types of adventure/rpgs, then you should pick up the new GBA Lufia.

You might not like Wario Ware, but you can pick it up and play it for just a minute or two, or even an hour at a time. I know you said no to Metroid Fusion, but it was such a great game, it's a shame not to get it. Now Lunar Legend, I highly reccomend. Even though they took out the anime cutscenes and the worold map exploration, it's still Lunar and it's still really good. You should get Lunar Legend. It only took my brother about 9-10 hours to finish without getting every single item, and 12-13 hours going back and getting every single thing.

So either get Lunar or Lufia. That is if you want an rpg.

you know this would be a lot easier if it didn't have to not be menu driven but if you could bend your rules I too would suggest golden sun

I just really like real time sort of direct control combat lol. Too many years of dragon warrior and final fantasy games has sort of burned me out on that sort of stuff.

If you don't mind a bit of thinking and like strategy games then Advance Wars is great. It shouldn't take 10 hours to beat (once you get hooked you may be able to waltz through the levels) though in Advanced Wars 2 you can unlock a hard campaign which will take you twice as long to pass. If you don't mind some puzzle action then I recommend Kuru Kuru Kururin! :) This game again shouldn't take 10 hours, though clocking it might come close ;)

I've got my puzzle fix with puzzle fighter and dr mario... I plan on both those taking a couple hours of time up as well lol ^_^. Does goldensun require a lot of time spent leveling up? Cause that's the thing I hate the most about rpg's leveling up... I tend to just rush through them... then get to a point where it's so hard I can't continue cause I'm like half hte level I should be. In other words, if I just sort of go for getting through the dungeons and stuff... not running from enemies or whatever, will I gain enough levels to take down the bosses at the end of the dungeons?

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 24, 2003 @ 03:42 PM

I've got my puzzle fix with puzzle fighter and dr mario... I plan on both those taking a couple hours of time up as well lol ^_^. Does goldensun require a lot of time spent leveling up? Cause that's the thing I hate the most about rpg's leveling up... I tend to just rush through them... then get to a point where it's so hard I can't continue cause I'm like half hte level I should be. In other words, if I just sort of go for getting through the dungeons and stuff... not running from enemies or whatever, will I gain enough levels to take down the bosses at the end of the dungeons?

It doesn't require extra time to level up IMO.

Just as you go along on your normal journeys

Back