Sonic 3D Blast - Dodgy Saturn CD or Rare beta?

Whilst cleaning out my room (and putting all my games in alphabetical order) I found a CD in a plain jewel case, I had no idea where it came from so i asked my mum, she sayd she bought it at a car bot sale ages ago cos she thought i might want it, and she must have just put it in my room and forgotten about it.

On the from cover of the CD it says Sonic 3D Blast, on the left it has a picture of Sonic, on the right in a diamond it says "programmers" at the bottom its says "Mr. Satu SS, Mr Satu Workshop"

kinda like this (except "programers" not "progamers") :

This game doesnt boot in my saturn at all.

Putting this game in my PC and exploring shows this:

but non of the .avi files will launch, and in the sub-folders its just .bin files.

I am sure that it is not he PC version of Sonic 3D because there is not .exe or equivalent to launch/install the game.

I've baisically not got a clue what this is, and would like to know if anyone has any ideas?

My initial instinct says its a copied game, but i am pretty sure that the saturn piracy scene was very small (in the UK at least) and the chances of my mum buying a copied game are slim to none. Also the printing, if not the design, on the disc looks professionally done, ie not just a sticker on top of the disc.

After that my next instinct would suggest some kinda of Beta Version of the game, but "Mr Satu" brings up nuthing related on google. If it is a beta would it be worth anything? :D

thanx

Originally posted by racketboy@Mon, 2005-08-01 @ 08:33 PM

not sure

rip it and post a torrent :)

[post=137719]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm reluctant to do that, incase it is something valuable

If it is something valuable then it will continue to retain its value. Just because I now have the ability to play something for free doesn't mean I won't be willing to pay top dollar for the real deal. If I had $2k id be searching ebay for a legit gd-r of Propeller Arena. Collectors always will pay good money if its truely worth something. Now being of Sonic 3d Blast, it probably isn't worth much. But you won't know unless the people who know how to work with this stuff get their hands on the data.

Looks like a beta version of the game ... the fact that it's not bootable implies that there's no security ring on it.

You could try to boot it using the swap trick method, and see what happens ;)

or a burned copy? the mr satu's workshop gives me that feeling. Only way to tell is to rip it and up it so ppl who have the real game can see if it is or not.

yes, that is the only way to that. If it is a beta, I'll make sure the people in the Sonic Comminunity know about it. Im going to check my Pc verison of Sonic 3D blast and the saturn version I have.

Well, I just check my saturn version and it is the saturn version and I was able to play the videos but without sound. what is the total size of the cd? I have 547 megs.

Originally posted by lewiep@Mon, 2005-08-01 @ 02:37 PM

[post=137720]Quoted post[/post]​

Exactly what good it is if no one can check it out, hmm?

Heck, people in the sonic community tearing it apart and posting all the possible changes on sites, giving it more publicity, might even raise its value more.

Why don't you try playing the avi files or reading the text files? I wonder what is in them?

Originally posted by lewiep@Mon, 2005-08-01 @ 07:21 PM

This game doesnt boot in my saturn at all.

but non of the .avi files will launch, and in the sub-folders its just .bin files.

I am sure that it is not he PC version of Sonic 3D because there is not .exe or equivalent to launch/install the game.

I've baisically not got a clue what this is, and would like to know if anyone has any ideas?

After that my next instinct would suggest some kinda of Beta Version of the game, but "Mr Satu" brings up nuthing related on google. If it is a beta would it be worth anything? :D

[post=137717]Quoted post[/post]​

Longtime no see boys! :devil .....I'm only here because I saw stuff about this on SCARZ....

RIGHT!

If I remember right, Sonic 3d Blast's Movie files made use of the 'Truemotion' Codec. did you try using one of the tools foundhere?

I think 'Duck.bin' would of been a big enough give-a-way...

The files and Directorys seem to match the ones on a regular S3D game (without exploring the dirs i would not be 100% sure tho)

lewiepis...it may only be a pre-release for all we know. And untill you dump it, i'm sure many people will doubt it is actualy a beta....

No thats called being a fag.... <_<

Your not about to get aressted and thrown in jail for it! If that was the case, SEGA would of took action against Simon's site or even the cult. for all the stuff that happens there!

Look at this...3588897, wasted over half his Trial posts on this one topic. It got more stupid as the topic went on, people just kept telling him the same thing, and he didn't seem to understand....(your not his best mate are you?)

PLEASE just dump the game will ya! If it really is a beta, you'll be popular in the Sonic Comunity for a short while (I guess).

*Run's back into the shadows* :ph34r:

Originally posted by Gaz_2_k@Tue, 2005-08-02 @ 09:53 AM

Longtime no see boys! :devil .....I'm only here because I saw stuff about this on SCARZ....

RIGHT!

If I remember right, Sonic 3d Blast's Movie files made use of the 'Truemotion' Codec. did you try using one of the tools foundhere?

I think 'Duck.bin' would of been a big enough give-a-way...

The files and Directorys seem to match the ones on a regular S3D game (without exploring the dirs i would not be 100% sure tho)

lewiepis...it may only be a pre-release for all we know. And untill you dump it, i'm sure many people will doubt it is actualy a beta....

No thats called being a fag.... <_<

Your not about to get aressted and thrown in jail for it! If that was the case, SEGA would of took action against Simon's site or even the cult. for all the stuff that happens there!

Look at this...3588897, wasted over half his Trial posts on this one topic. It got more stupid as the topic went on, people just kept telling him the same thing, and he didn't seem to understand....(your not his best mate are you?)

PLEASE just dump the game will ya! If it really is a beta, you'll be popular in the Sonic Comunity for a short while (I guess).

*Run's back into the shadows* :ph34r:

[post=137759]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, i will release it to the comunity, i guess i was being over protective, however as i am on a 56k modem its not feasable for me to make a torrent and such of the disc, i have made a CDR backup of it and wud be willing to post it to any UK member who would then make a torrent of it. Any volunteers?

email me at lewiep@gmail.com if you live in the UK and would be willing to do this for me

I have got the videos playing with that codec, and from memory they are the same ones that feature in the saturn game.

Originally posted by lewiep@Tue, 2005-08-02 @ 10:19 PM

Ok, i will release it to the comunity, i guess i was being over protective, however as i am on a 56k modem its not feasable for me to make a torrent and such of the disc, i have made a CDR backup of it and wud be willing to post it to any UK member who would then make a torrent of it. Any volunteers?

email me at lewiep@gmail.com if you live in the UK and would be willing to do this for me

I have got the videos playing with that codec, and from memory they are the same ones that feature in the saturn game.

[post=137787]Quoted post[/post]​

good for you check you pm box

I have a stable server to host it instead of the crap never-seed-1kb-speed torrents.

IF this turns out to be a real prototype. Have you checked the header of it yet?

Originally posted by Borisz@Wed, 2005-08-03 @ 12:38 AM

I have a stable server to host it instead of the crap never-seed-1kb-speed torrents.

IF this turns out to be a real prototype. Have you checked the header of it yet?

[post=137796]Quoted post[/post]​

the header says the following:

SEGA SEGASATURN

SEGA ENTERPRISES

MK-81062 V1.000

19961108CD-1/1

JTUBKAEL

JS

Sonic 3D Blast

The version number and release date matches the USA final.

However, the country code says that it should run no every country and the perif code says that the game is compatible with the arcade steering wheel (wtf?).

OK, please check one more thing just to be sure. Please make an SFV out of the files on the disc and upload it. I'll check it with the files of the USA version to make sure if there are any differences.

Originally posted by Borisz@Wed, 2005-08-03 @ 01:18 AM

The version number and release date matches the USA final.

However, the country code says that it should run no every country and the perif code says that the game is compatible with the arcade steering wheel (wtf?).

OK, please check one more thing just to be sure. Please make an SFV out of the files on the disc and upload it. I'll check it with the files of the USA version to make sure if there are any differences.

[post=137801]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, i do not know how to make a SFV, how would i go about doing this?

get the tool named hkSfv and install it, copy the files from this CD to your hdd, highlight all the files & folders you copied, right click on them, select hkSfv -> make SFV, and once it completed upload it as a file attachment to your post.

Originally posted by Borisz@Wed, 2005-08-03 @ 03:02 PM

get the tool named hkSfv and install it, copy the files from this CD to your hdd, highlight all the files & folders you copied, right click on them, select hkSfv -> make SFV, and once it completed upload it as a file attachment to your post.

[post=137827]Quoted post[/post]​

thanx anyway, but i have decided its not worth the bother, its going up on ebay, check the buy/sell/trade section out

It would've been nice if you could make that sfv so we can check if any of the game data is different (unlikely as the header is the same, but there a small chance anyway) compared to the final.

However, thanks for at least grabbing that picture. It's a dead giveway that the disc is a bootleg.

Back