Sonic Heroes

I disagree, although SA and SA2 were great fun as well. I like Sonic Heroes, the only things I don't really like about it are the bugs and the ease with which you are thrown off cliffs, the way some enemies are killed simply by mashing the button over and over again, and the dull bosses.

Originally posted by WiseMan@Jun 6, 2004 @ 09:38 AM

i think its average. Sonic Adventure burns it hardcore for gameplay.

dissapointing.

I agree, and so does a friend who is a big sonic fan. He was looking forward to it way more than I was, but he borrowed it from me and now he isn't even going to buy it. It was weak, it was boring, even repetitive (all the teams were the same except chaotix, and they were boring too). I didn't like whole team thing, I like levels built for a single character, especially sonic/shadow.

There were things that I didn't like about SA 1/2 either, I didn't like hunting with knuckles/rouge, and I hated fishing. But you could always give knuckles levels more like Gamma's, etc.

i was pretty keen about sonic heroes i'm quite a dedicated fan myself. the return of the chaotix was especially exciting.

i found the gameplay just to be dull really, jerky at times too and the controls aren't very accurate. its kinda irritating having to switch characters around to get through some parts.

i did buy the game but i've advised everyone who asked about it thus far to go buy Sonic Adventure DX instead.

Heroes could of been, well.. XTREME, but instead it was average.

it290 u werent dissapointed with this game? :huh:

ive got the PS2 version which is touted as being the worst of the bunch, but even ifthe glitches and graphics were fix i dont find the game all that interesting. i really tried to like it but it never clicked with me.

I've been a huge Sonic fan since I was six years old, but I really hated this game. I got the Japanese Playstation 2 version, and didn't even bother playing throught the second level. The controls were horrendous I couldn't even make my team do a right turn properly. I threw the game in the garbage. :flamethrower:

I really wish they would start making Sonic in 2D again.

Originally posted by schi0249@Jun 6, 2004 @ 11:25 PM

They do. Its called Sonic Advanced. They are currently on the 3rd one.

That doesn't count, those games have to be 2D. If the GBA was powerful enough they'd make them in 3D. I'm talking about a full length 2D sidescrolling Sonic game on Gamecube or whatever, and with just Sonic and/or Shadow. There was an interview with Yuji Naka and he said something to the effect of wanting to do a project like that, but he couldn't because the demand was so low.

Oh and incidentally I did enjoy the Sonic Advance series very much. :cheers

Originally posted by schi0249@Jun 6, 2004 @ 11:40 PM

2D is mostly dead, though I greatly regret that. Characters like MArio and Sonic were best when done in 2D.

:agree 100%

The way things are going lately with games, I see myself becoming a bigger SNK fan.

its funny but lately (moreso since ive been able to find sites with roms) ive been playing a shitload of 16-bit stuff that ive long since gotten rid of while my ps2 (and over 80+ games) just sits there. im getting that 16-bit gameplay back that i lost a long time ago. anybody can beat these games nowadays, but i find myself going back to the oldies and geting my ass handed to me. and you know what? i dont care, because im usually loosing because i suck and not because of a really crapy camera system. ill get the skills back!

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jun 7, 2004 @ 04:53 AM

There were things that I didn't like about SA 1/2 either, I didn't like hunting with knuckles/rouge, and I hated fishing.

I agree with you about Knuckles and Ruby - their levels could be really frustrating - but I really enjoyed Big's levels. :)

As much as I've thought about getting one, no I don't own a DC fishing rod.

I'm not really into Sega Bass Fishing, but I find Big's fishing levels are fun. :)

it290 u werent dissapointed with this game?

No, not really, although I did find a few of the levels to be overly frustrating (haunted house in particular), and I didn't like the bosses. Once I had the order of my team down (ie which button switches to which character when you're using x), the controls felt quite natural. Also, the graphics were awesome and the music, although not really better than SA1/2, at least was pretty consistent with the older games. I was also happy that they left the exploration element out (as in SA2).

It's not totally awesome like Sonic 1 and 2 (and to some extent 3&K) were, but at least the gameplay is straightforward. When I pop in SA2 these days I only play Sonic/Shadow's levels, and with SA1 only Sonic/Tails and sometimes Gamma. But remember, the first time you played SA2 you had to play all the levels, and it was really annoying. Not so with Heroes.

To me, it seems like they threw away all its strengths in an attempt to get rid of its weaknesses. There's absolutely nothing exceptional about the game except the eye candy, and at the time the DC games had awesome graphics too. They still do, honestly. The teams just get in the way, I find myself using the speed character 90% of the time. Further, the controls are quirky, and after playing SA1 and 2 for hours on end, I can't stand the SH controls.

I think they would have been better off combining the best elements from SA 1 and 2 to balance a sequel. Knuckles could have combat levels like Gamma, for starters. Tails could see levels similar to Sonic/Shadow, but perhaps not quite as fast paced and involving his flying ability (though not in a totally pace-killing fashion forcing you to fly from block to block straight up, ala Sonic Heroes). Things like that.

I haven't really like any of the 3D Sonic games except for a few of the levels here and there. I'd rather play Sonic Advance

Originally posted by Dyne+Jun 7, 2004 @ 07:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dyne @ Jun 7, 2004 @ 07:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Curtis@Jun 7, 2004 @ 08:44 AM

Admit it mal - you have the Sega fishing rod, don't you? :p

i have one :D [/b][/quote]

I want one :)

Back