sound card

I'm not big into Creative.

I like my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, but it doesn't have an optical output. (Don't know if you need it).

Don't get a SB live. You'd be OK with an Audigy, Fortissimo III, or something higher-end if you have the money. I also tend to avoid creative's offerings, but you should be OK with a cheaper Audigy.

ok i bought an audigy LS what kind of cable would i need to connect the card to my reciever. i'm trying to use the coaxil input on my reciever but the thing is the only coaxil cable i have is just a standard RCA sized plug so that wont plug into the card.

Ya i'm a moron when it comes to this shit

Looking at the manual, it seems that you need to use a mono 3.5mm to RCA cable plugged into the top connector (yellow) of the sound card.

i asked some best buy worker (computer tech not a standard worker) he told me there's no way to connect my sound card to my reciever unless i buy a better sound card that has more outputs.

all i want is to fucking hook my god damn card up to my reciever i said to him after he told me that but he was like i never heard of that type of cable and there's no way of doing it.

Originally posted by joe81@Oct 29, 2003 @ 01:46 AM

i asked some best buy worker (computer tech not a standard worker) he told me there's no way to connect my sound card to my reciever unless i buy a better sound card that has more outputs.

all i want is to fucking hook my god damn card up to my reciever i said to him after he told me that but he was like i never heard of that type of cable and there's no way of doing it.

that guy was an idiot

those guys are usually idiots that think they know it all

anyway all you need is a cable from radio shack that has a headphone jack on one end (to plug into your sound card) and RCA audio jacks on the other (to plug into your receiver) -- super easy. it's cheap too

On second thoughts...

Looking at the pic of the card, the digital out socket looks different from the others.

Is it for a standard 3.5mm jack? Being digital it would probably only be a 'mono' or tip and sleeve connector. :huh

[edit] Yup, the manual says that you'd want a mono 3.5mm jack to RCA lead to use the digital out. :)

[edit #2] That's just what Curtis said earlier. :lol:

You want this thing. You plug this into the digital out plug on the soundcard then your rca cable goes from it to the coax digital input on the receiver. Simple.

Just print that out and take it to a Radio Shack (or use the online store locator that tells you which ones have it in stock) and they'll be able to hook you up.

Then it's all a matter of forcing the drivers to output a Dolby Digital signal....

Originally posted by ExCyber@Oct 29, 2003 @ 02:01 AM

or use the online store locator that tells you which ones have it in stock

Wow, when did they (we?) add that? I don't think it was there earlier today... :blink:

It's in the Where to Buy box. Type in your zip code and it picks out the 5 nearest stores to you and tells you if it's available in them or not.

The Canadian site also tells you how many each store has in stock too.

Back