Starting a PC Repair/Upgrade Consulting Biz

racketboy

Established Member
Looking to do some PC repair and upgrading for a side business to earn some extra cash.

I already do some work for people I know, but haven't asked anybody to pay me yet.

Hopefully I can get those people to refer me to others and build up business mostly through word of mouth

I figure at least Ice can help me out on this.

I need any help you can give me...

advertising?

policies?

rates?

etc?

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 7, 2003 @ 06:35 PM

Looking to do some PC repair and upgrading for a side business to earn some extra cash.

I already do some work for people I know, but haven't asked anybody to pay me yet.

Hopefully I can get those people to refer me to others and build up business mostly through word of mouth

I figure at least Ice can help me out on this.

I need any help you can give me...

advertising?

policies?

rates?

etc?

you have done exactly what i did.....work and did not ask for $$$....

For a long time I worked on people's computers for free... sometimes they'd give me stuff or money in exchange. Last year I started charging people, I usually charge around $15 an hour... which is pretty cheap... but I think it's just a matter of figuring out how much you want to make lol. In any case I don't work on computers for people anymore because I hate working on computers.

yeah I've heard a few people that my in-laws know of charge close to $100 an hour.

I don't think I could charge even close to that much.

I figure if I even got $20-$30 hr it would be nice.

I guess I could always raise prices as I go along if I get more business than my comfort level

Thats a good idea, I do that as well, but since I'm in the cowtown capital, people give me free beef, lol. Hey saves money on groceries.

Charge about $35/h your first 6 months and bring the price up $5 every 6 months. DO NOT charge per 1/2 hour or 1/4 hour but per 1 hour, a flat fee.

Get some business cards made up and put them in your local fitness center, post office, or anywhere else you want. Cheap advertising. Also put your price on your cards.

You DO NOT need to register with the govt or township untill you start making over a certain amount per year, it varies state to state.

Get a supplier. MALabs.com is a good one, I use them. When they ask for your business ID number give them your ss#. They are based in CA so they are local for you.

Put on your business cards that you warranty your work. Clients love that.

Have fun, be fun, enjoy your business.

:cheers

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Aug 7, 2003 @ 10:40 PM

Put on your business cards that you warranty your work. Clients love that.

That's what I'm afraid of...

Many PC users think that after you work on their PC that ANYTHING that goes wrong on their PC is your fault and your responcibility to fix.

holy f**k you ppl are nuts about computer rates my mom has paper out the the ying yang and she charges 35 bucks an hour... a local shop the guy has been doin computers forever as far as i know and he only charges 32 bucks an hour, 35 usd whoa.... dats like 50 buck an hour. ahh what do i know, i'm just a 18 yr old that makes 20 an hour on those damned things. but i lack the alphabet soup behind my name.

I'm doing it right now - I charge $45/hr (yes, I have a substantial clientele). Places like Best Buy and Circuit City charge well over $70 for bringing your PC in - so most people don't mind.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Aug 8, 2003 @ 02:10 PM

I'm doing it right now - I charge $45/hr (yes, I have a substantial clientele). Places like Best Buy and Circuit City charge well over $70 for bringing your PC in - so most people don't mind.

And Best Buy is freaking slow

Say goodbye to your PC for the better part of the week unless it's something extremely routine

People like same day or next day if its a bad part service.

If you have to get a part for a client go for next day shipping from your supplier.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Aug 8, 2003 @ 02:30 PM

People like same day or next day if its a bad part service.

If you have to get a part for a client go for next day shipping from your supplier.

well, if bad part = hard drive

probably might take some time to do a full recovery

Back