Stupid Saturn question by Des-ROW

Des-ROW

Established Member
I can predict this has been asked millions of times in the past, and that I am the only one in this whole forums that does not know what I am about to ask.

What are the differences between the Grey Saturn and the White Saturn (if any)?

Thank you for answeing my stupid question!

Sore ja.

grey ones are earlier revision, often called M1 and the white ones are the later revision. Another way to tell is grey ones have oval button whereas whites are round.

Internally white ones are much neater with all components mounted inside bottom half of shell unlike early M1 where PSU was mounted to the top half as well as wires connecting top and bottom sections.

For mod wise white Saturn is better suitable from what I heard.

cheers

Originally posted by dj898@May 3, 2004 @ 01:51 AM

grey ones are earlier revision, often called M1 and the white ones are the later revision. Another way to tell is grey ones have oval button whereas whites are round.

Internally white ones are much neater with all components mounted inside bottom half of shell unlike early M1 where PSU was mounted to the top half as well as wires connecting top and bottom sections.

For mod wise white Saturn is better suitable from what I heard.

cheers

Thank you for the information ^_^

What do you mean by "mod wise white Saturn is better suitable"? What makes the earlier model "less suitable"?

Oh, and one more question... which revision is considered as more rare?

Originally posted by Runik@May 3, 2004 @ 02:06 AM

Maybe because the grey one needs 20 pins mod-board ?

I would not know, I know almost nothing about Saturn modchips, since I never installed one in my system.

The trouble with the model 1 is that 20pin mod chips are no longer in production so they are next to impossible to get. However, the model 2 uses a 21 pin ribbon cable and mods are still easly available for it.

Originally posted by Berty@May 3, 2004 @ 02:15 AM

The trouble with the model 1 is that 20pin mod chips are no longer in production so they are next to impossible to get. However, the model 2 uses a 21 pin ribbon cable and mods are still easly available for it.

In other words... it is nearly impossible for me to get a modchip for my Grey Saturn T.T

yeah, pretty much. I might know someone who does them in Australia, but they are very expensive and not too good to deal with. I think last time i looked, they wanted about $120AUD for a saturn mod :(

Des, what type of mod do you want to do to your saturn? because if it is just a region mod you can do it by just soldering in a switch. Im sure that if your interested, mal can fill you in. (or you could just search the forums)

I have a gray saturn and white saturns. the grey is much easier to perform the swap trick on, it has the led which indicates when to do the swap (don't know if all greys are like that though).

/me waits with bated breath for Trenton Net to show up and tell us how stupid Westerners are for not being able to get 20 pin modboards...

:ph34r:

Originally posted by Berty@May 3, 2004 @ 02:24 AM

Des, what type of mod do you want to do to your saturn?

Sincerely... I do not know... I just felt like asking, I saw my Sega Saturn just lying there and felt I had to ask.

Thanks to everyone for your concern though, I do not know why I should not be satisfied with my system, it is perfect the way it is... I just need a nice RAM cart ^^;

I am so sorry for wasting everyone's time though... gomen nasai~!

I wish I could mod my gray model too :( , $120AUD for a mod heh? I wonder how much that is in Euros doesn´t seem like too much.

And Des-ROW don´t feel bad for asking questions this is a forum after all ;]

Back