SuSE 9.1 Professional Help~!

Des-ROW

Established Member
Hello everyone! I installed SuSE9.1 Professional minutes ago and I am having some issues with installing certain things, mostly with finding RPMs, etc

First, I am having problems with installing Firefox, can anyone help me? I am not an expert, I need all step-by-step T.T

I was able to get a GAIM RPM for SuSE 9.1, but it is giving me a headache, does not want to get installed, mentions missing files and dependencies... everything was easier with Fedora CORE 1 T.T

Help help! Please~!

If you have the CDs, both Gaim and Firefox are already on there. .76 and .8 respectively.

Run Yast, and search by simply typing in Firefox and Gaim. Put check marks in both, check dependencies, and install. I think they're on CDs four and five, but don't quote me.

Okay, first of all, are you installing Firefox from source, using RPMs, or some other binary?

Secondly, what RPMs are you looking for? You should be able to get most of those dependencies covered using RPMs from SuSE's website/FTP site. NEVER skip dependencies on packages, and NEVER use RPMs that are for other flavors of linux if you don't want to screw up your install. RPM headaches are the number one reason I moved away from Red Hat and other RPM-based distros. I've never used SuSE's Yast tool, but you can give that a shot as well.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to install SuSE and move away from Fedora Core 1?

To be more specific, I booted into SuSE.

If you're in KDE, it's System --> YaST. If you're in Gnome (my choice), choose Applications --> SuSE Menu --> System --> Yast

Enter the root password.

Choose 'Install and Remove Software'

The Filter should be on 'Search'. If not, choose the drop down menu and pick 'Search'.

Type in gaim (enter), check mark it. Type in firefox (enter), check mark it. Put in the CDs it demands. After it runs the SuSEConfig, shutdown KDE/Gnome, and go back in, or just type in 'gaim' or 'firefox' at the terminal.

If you compile it from the source, you have a chance to screw up your Mozilla install (if you have one). Not sure why, didn't bother to check. But it works fine from SuSE's YaST (newly GPL'ed, or so I hear).

As an aside, you may want to go through Yast and pick all your packages. SuSE takes liberties with what's in a 'normal' install (i.e. Kopete vs Gaim); I guess it's for the first time user (more eye candy with Kopete). It'd be to your best interests next time to just pick the packages... a bit of annoyance, but it saves a lot of headache in the long run.

There is also apt-get for SuSE, but I haven't tried it with 9.0 and don't know if it's available with 9.1; it's generally not as good as Redhat's anyway. However, Novell grabbed Ximian, and it's RCD service, which is VERY nice (which is why I'm hoping XD3 comes out sooner than later) and will probably be in the next SuSE distro.

it290, SuSE 9.1 is several hundred times better than FC1. I haven't used 2, but won't bother. 9.1 is significantly better.

That's true. You also have to have the correct version of the Mozilla base sources installed before you can compile Firefox.

Thank you very very much, now, thanks you both of you and the beautiful YaST, I was able to install GAIM, Firefox, Ximian Evolution and other programs ^^

I am really happy with SuSE 9.1 Professional ^.^

Or you could just compile it :p

if it's a *.tar.gz then type:

Code:
tar mvxfzp file.tar.gz -C /tmp --no-same-owner;

if it's a *.tar.bz2 then type:

Code:
 tar mvxfjp file.tar.bz2 -C /tmp --no-same-owner;

once you're done, cd into the directory and type:

Code:
# ./configure; make; make install;

and you're done.

Why? Yast is faster, easier, and the libraries aren't always in the same place from distro to distro (i.e., dependencies, dependencies and more dependencies).

If one was using 9.1 Personal (or the FTP version, June 4th), then maybe.

Back