The everlasting CD Burner/Nero conflict?

Jaded God

Established Member
I have always wondered this about NERO and no one can answer this question...

Most of my cd burner programs like CDRWIN let me atleast go down to 4x speed on my cd-rw drive.

But NERO's slowest speed it will let me burn any image is 8x...

Now I go back from a hiatus to burn games with CDRWIN and the lowest is 4x... When I used to be able to select 1x or 2x... It is optimal I use 2x for one of my older psx's so is there a way to get this back. I REPEAT * The same burner with same OS and firmware used to be able to use 1 or 2 in CDRWIN*.. It isn't my writer.

Nero's 8x has always been the lowest no matter what.

• Are you using the same version of Nero/CDRWin?
  • Are you using the same brand (and same supported burn speeds) of CD-Rs back when you were able to select 1X or 2X?
  • Have you applied any service packs or security patches since being able to select 1X or 2X?

I don't have the answer, but here's a wild suggestion :D

1. Reinstall your OS so that you start with a clean slate.
  2. Do not apply any of the service packs or security patches yet.
  3. Install Nero and CDRWin.
  4. Put a blank CD-R into your burner.
  5. Launch Nero or CDRWin to see what write speeds are available.

well it is odd since it will let me rip in 1x and up in CDRWin but lowest is 4x to burn.. And most cd-r's I buy like Fujifilm, TDK, verbs it seems to be consistent so I don't think it would be the media. I have applied sp2 service pack to IE before I switched to mozilla, but recently uninstalled IE.

I don't know, I am not going to reformat my hd and put a clean OS on just for it. Just wish I could atleast select 2x.

Try a linux live cd like knoppix or the like,you'll be able to rule out operating system and software and if you still have the problem it could be a hardware issue,or possibly firmware(have you ever flashed the firmware? ) Usually the problem is that you can't burn higher speeds rather then the reverse.

Many drives won't let you burn anything below 4X, some even have a 8X lower cap. If you find a proggie that allows you to select 1X, the drive will actually burn at 4X (or 8X, depends on drive). I think it's a firmware thingie.

Back