The Price Of Movie Tickets

I went to the movies last night at a theater I hadn't been to for a long time, I normally go to a much closer theater that has a student discount where it costs me $6.00 (USD) to see a night showing of a movie. Well the theater I went to charged me $9.25 (USD) just for my ticket!!

$9.25!!

I wanted to shoot myself, examing the food I saw a large soda for $3.75 with the cup half filled of ice and 5 chicken tenders for $8.75.... now I know everyone is going nuts about gas prices but what about movie tickets?? It's always been a bit much for the food but $9.25 for a ticket? Not to mention the movie starts 15min. after it's supposed to due to all the previews and on top of that there are now TV commercials on the Big screen... the customer is paying more money, while having to sit through more BS while the cineplex makes more money both ways... Am I seeing this correctly? Anyone have information on how much money theaters are raking in...

Please post your findings, feelings, comments, etc.. :damn: :blink:

damn.. that's fuking outrageous, no wonder noone goes to the movies nemore.. The theatre here where I live is only $4.50 and you can a huge popcorn and all that shit for like $3.50.

And we have a drive-in theatre that only charges 2bux and u can sneak in all the food ya want.

I don't like those fancy giant theatres like Marcus or Loews or what not. I rarely go see anything these days, since the DVD is always better (uncut, extended etc) but if I go to see a film I like the local place we have in the run down shit town to the East of here where it costs 4.50-5.50 depending on the time of day. It's a great theatre, kind of like a dumpy grindhouse, but with showtime listings, and its got a Vampire Savior arcade machine.

In Auatralia you can expect to pay $aus15 for any movie session. Cheap day is Tuesday when they only charge $aus8.50. But recently there has been a big downturn in revenue for all the cinemas which some people say is due to the quality of home theatres these days. To overcome is Hoyts have had a period of about a week where they only charge $aus8.50 any day of the week which has now expired. I guess they wanted to see if price was the reason people were staying away from the cinemas. It will be interesting to see if they lower the price permanantly. I have avoided whatching a lot of moviesat the cinema due to the cost. I would much rather waiting for the DVD as I would suspect many other people are doing these days. The times, they are a changin'.

Originally posted by emazur@Sun, 2005-08-07 @ 11:28 PM

You think $9.25 is bad? It costs double that in Japan!

[post=138058]Quoted post[/post]​

wow... I had no idea prices were so high these days.... I can't see myself ever going to the theater that charged me $9.25 again... hell just taking a date will cost me around $50.00 for the two of us just to get in and have some snacks...

Not to switch topics but If I remember correctly a cantaloupe in Japan costs something like $30 US dollars...

Edit:

Gotta Love Google:

http://www.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ355/choi/cant.htm

A couple years back I went to East Windsor, CT when "Garfield" was in the theatres (I remember this only because of the mass amount of propaganda lieing about the theatre). I stopped there as I wasn't leaving for FL for another 4 hours and decided to watch a film during my wait.

Matinee 9.50 Adult!!!! it was like 12 something for a night show! WTF

Thing to remember is, a first run theater makes almost nothing on the tickets. What they charge basically covers the cost of renting the film itself. Where they make all the money is consessions. Thats why sub-run theaters not only have lower ticket prices, but also they charge less for food. Their rates are lower. The current down turn in theater attendance is causing ticket prices to go up. Fewer people going means we all pay more to cover the movie's costs.

I had some friends/ family friends that ran movie theaters growing up.

i boycott movies. fuck the mpaa. other than my usual sayings when i was a kid we would go to this 1 dollar place i mean the movies were ones that were either out of the main theaters or ones that have been out for awhile and they would sell never ending popcorn so you got to finish a big ass bag and get it filled up again same with drinks it kicked ass. we have a drive in here but i havent' been to that in years i woudlnt' know how much it costs. and i'm assuming the theaters near me are expensive i'll find out my friend is a manager at one so when i do i'll edit this and add in the cost.

Friday and Saturday night showings are 8 bucks at the megaplexes around here. I only go there for big, FX-heavy movies (usualy comic-book related) like Batman Begins (twice), Fantastic Four, Sin City, and Episode III (matinee). I usualy go to a second-run place where it's only 75 cents to get in on Wednesdays, 1 buck other nights, and 1.50 on Friday and Saturday. Slightly smaller screens, but the same perfectly fine Dolby surround sound. Or, my fiance loves the drive-ins. The one to the south of us is five bucks for two movies. There are two to the north that are $15 per car, no matter how many people you cram inside. We went there last week to see Charlie & the Chocolate Factory and Bad News Bears. The whole place was filled with big vans and SUV, with people piled out of them in lawnchairs.

Dude, how can this be? The UGC in Glasgow, UK, where i'm going to see war of the worlds tommorow, only cost me £3.50 ($6.25) per ticket, cheaper than some US cinemas, sweet :D

Saying that I get a quids discount for being a student, adult price is £4.50 ($8).

Cinema food and drink is usually expensive, but i usually don't bother, cause if i do, i'm usually need to take a leek have way through the film :p

Where I used to live the 2 theaters were 9.25 per ticket and 9.50 per ticket. Here it's 6.50 I think... but I don't see movies very often anymore since I don't have any friends anymore ( T.T ).

Back