The Value of 1st Person Shooters

Just yesterday i was watching National Geographic Channel and they had a show about people who play videogames can process information faster. I only saw the very end and thats what they said to sum it up.

Dr. Daphne Bavelier, an associate professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Rochester

Hmm. I'm working at UR this summer, albiet in a different dept. Maybe I can seek this person out and help her do some studies.

They carried out four experiments on undergraduates, all of them male because no female shooter game fans could be found on campus.

I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!
wink.gif

Originally posted by SegaSquad@May 29, 2003 @ 04:17 PM

Just yesterday i was watching National Geographic Channel and they had a show about people who play videogames can process information faster. I only saw the very end and thats what they said to sum it up.

ive always suggested this. when u sit and watch tv, u are recieving. when u sit and play a game, u constantly think, especially when fighting another person, u think and concentrate, and i believe it makes u much smarter.

They had this on TechTV last night (5/30/03)....they said the study only involves FPS and that people that play them frequently can pick things out of a group faster and keep track of many more moveing objects at one time compared to a person that doesn't play them.

This is so totally off topic but have you noticed that most of the people who work at eb and gamestop all had systic acne in highschool. You can tell cause their face looks all chewed up.

Hey, that is one mean stereotype.. I worked there for years and don't look like that. Hell, none of my staff even looked like that. Plus the EB in the Mall of America, tey mainly hire hot, dumb, blondes.

Practice makes perfect. Sonic 1 can help improve reaction time. Just try some of the challenges I listed in game of the week. They are in the Sonic 3 post.

Back