Translating Baroque

boringbunny

I've been using a translation table found online and managed to translate a few menus. So far the only roadblock is the need to develop scripts to expedite the translation process.

The text is in the games msb files, cut scenes in the cpk files.

BS.msb contains the start menu's text. The other three contain other menu text, item descriptions, and the games dialogue.

There is already a complete game translation online, I'm waiting to get approval from the translator before I continue.

mrkotfw

Awesome!

Could you describe the format for those files? Is it just plain text? Any special way to parse these files?

Do you know how the game draws text?

boringbunny

The files aren't compressed, just plait text using a different character set then normal. Here is where I got most of what I'm using. I verified everything said is correct. The user also created the translation table I'm using. I've been expanding their table using the existing translation.
so far everything has lined up. Dont really think there will be much needed to do this outside of expanding some dialogue and editing the movies. There are no special tools needed as senior members of the forum have already created them.

Edit: Dumped all game scripts. They seem to match perfectly to the online translation. I also think I've determined whats used to make the script advance. I'm also expanding the translation table, once it's done the game should be translated rather easily.

Making an excel/google docs sheet sometime soon to show updates/share them with a few testers.

Edit: Translation table is going well, the one online was mostly accurate. Its missing large chunks, but its being updated steadily.

Will try to release a poc soon. Most likely just video of the menus.

Last edited:

mrkotfw

Good to know it's very straight forward format. Hopefully that's all there is to it.

Looking forward to seeing a video.

boringbunny

So it's not straight forward. The game spews garbage outside of predefined text string sizes for menus, and I need to figure out how to change it to a half width font, its 16 by 16 atm. The translation part is easy. I'm finishing up the translation table. After that the game displays everything better then expected. No crashing or weird stuff outside of garbled text when it goes passed predefined display areas.

river

So it's not straight forward. The game spews garbage outside of predefined text string sizes for menus, and I need to figure out how to change it to a half width font, its 16 by 16 atm. The translation part is easy. I'm finishing up the translation table. After that the game displays everything better then expected. No crashing or weird stuff outside of garbled text when it goes passed predefined display areas.
Really exciting stuff, I've always wanted to understand what is going on in this game.
Just wanted to express interest in the project since the thread wasn't receiving too much responses.