Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Translating Dracula X / SOTN Beta V1.02 1.021

FB_IMG_1611679186103.jpg

Well this is more like a working design translation hahaha lol

Hello! Playing through version .99 and game keeps freezing after I defeat Beezlebub. Playing on Model 2 Saturn with MODE

Let me first say that the new patcher is wonderful. It makes converting & patching the game for my Rhea/Phoebe trivial.

I played through almost the entire game last week and noticed one thing at the very end.
  • After defeating Dracula (call it %190), while Maria and Richter are on the cliff-overlook, after Maria finishes talking, the dialog box is left empty of text and the game just kinda hangs there. It's not frozen, the water reflection animation is still active, but the credits never roll and it just kinda sits there.

This was on a real Saturn using a Rhea. v.99 of the translation.

Let me first say that the new patcher is wonderful. It makes converting & patching the game for my Rhea/Phoebe trivial.

I played through almost the entire game last week and noticed one thing at the very end.
  • After defeating Dracula (call it %190), while Maria and Richter are on the cliff-overlook, after Maria finishes talking, the dialog box is left empty of text and the game just kinda hangs there. It's not frozen, the water reflection animation is still active, but the credits never roll and it just kinda sits there.

This was on a real Saturn using a Rhea. v.99 of the translation.
This was addressed and fixed in 1.0 for the contest

Last edited:
I do not want to be rude here, but please try not to make comments about things that are still being waiting on to fix. These things can come off as very disincentivizing to people who volunteer their time to projects. I understand people are excited and want to play the game bug free. If a bug is reported and the person is looking into it, try to be helpful and not make it feel like an obligation. When you ease the pressure, you find productivity increases. I have spent pretty much all of my free time in October to December working on this trying to get it out by the end of the year (not even for the contest, it was one of those coincidences that lined up perfectly) and right now I have been taking a little break from it (I am still working on it I am just not dedicating as much time) so that I do not burn myself out and start hating it.

I don't mind comments, I do not need to be made aware that people are waiting for a fix to a bug reported 10+ times. I know there is a bug, I know I need to fix it, and I know people are waiting on it. When it starts to feel like harassment, it stops becoming fun project to work on. I know most people have no intent on it being harassment, but when you take into account that other people responding in the same way, you can start to understand why it becomes cumbersome onto a person.

I don't mind comments, I do not need to be made aware that people are waiting for a fix to a bug reported 10+ times.
I think/hope most of it is unintentional. People don't read through all the comments. Some are not aware of 1.00 since this thread only references 0.99 on the first page. It might help to put a note there about 1.00 and known issues. That page is linked from sites like RetroRGB, so it's the first thing people see. Anyways, I appreciate your efforts big time, and I know I'm not alone. Take your time and enjoy life. Whenever you finish, I look forward to my first Alucard playthru on Saturn! I've only played as Maria and Richter due to the language barrier.

I think/hope most of it is unintentional. People don't read through all the comments. Some are not aware of 1.00 since this thread only references 0.99 on the first page. It might help to put a note there about 1.00 and known issues. That page is linked from sites like RetroRGB, so it's the first thing people see. Anyways, I appreciate your efforts big time, and I know I'm not alone. Take your time and enjoy life. Whenever you finish, I look forward to my first Alucard playthru on Saturn! I've only played as Maria and Richter due to the language barrier.
I know it is mostly unintentional. I don't know if the guy deleted the comments or blocked me, I was just trying to explain how certain comments can be discouraging and to try and be considerate.

Already finished the game. Only Richter and Maria left.
Finished the game with the remaining characters the day after. Only Richter ending soft-crashed the game at the point shown in the pic, Maria went fine with the credits. Verified the crash again with 1.00. Hopefully other users on hardware can confirm. Played on Beetle Saturn.

1ekmkEK.jpg

This librarian bug was in 0.99, couldn't verify against 1.00
rSlOHjT.jpg

I noticed that you updated the title screen, looking nicer!
OY9TEhD.jpg

ybqPME8.jpg

17mjrqe.jpg

As always, thanks for your work.

For what it’s worth, I registered JUST to thank you for your hard work on this. I’m using 1.0 on real hardware (via Pseudo Saturn), and I haven’t encountered a single problem. SotN is my all-time favorite game, and I’ve had the Saturn import since it was released, but it’s wonderful to play it in English!

For what it’s worth, I registered JUST to thank you for your hard work on this. I’m using 1.0 on real hardware (via Pseudo Saturn), and I haven’t encountered a single problem. SotN is my all-time favorite game, and I’ve had the Saturn import since it was released, but it’s wonderful to play it in English!
Thank you for the kind words. Always good to know your work is appreciated.

Finished the game with the remaining characters the day after. Only Richter ending soft-crashed the game at the point shown in the pic, Maria went fine with the credits. Verified the crash again with 1.00. Hopefully other users on hardware can confirm. Played on Beetle Saturn.

1ekmkEK.jpg
Could you get me a save of Richters ending? I have yet to play through the game as Richter, I assumed he had no story.

Could you get me a save of Richters ending? I have yet to play through the game as Richter, I assumed he had no story.
Sure, no problem. You need a save with Richter at the last point when about to end the game? Give me some minutes.

how did you unlock the advice?
Not sure, as the option was already there for me when i got up to the librarian. At least it doesn't crash, it just shows a bunch of gibberish inside.

Not sure, as the option was already there for me when i got up to the librarian. At least it doesn't crash, it just shows a bunch of gibberish inside.

The gibberish is because the texture size does not match the content of the texture. For example, I have a texture of 20x20, but I tell the game the texture is 25x20. This would cause the graphics to be unaligned because 20 pixels of the first line and 5 pixels of the second line are getting rendered as 1 line.

Yeah.... that site is shady as ####...... not installing anything just to get a download.

Edit:

I was able to get the save. So there is no text at the end. This is going to be hard to debug and fix.

Edit: I was able to fix the ending.

Last edited:
Yeah.... that site is shady as ####...... not installing anything just to get a download.

Edit:

I was able to get the save. So there is no text at the end. This is going to be hard to debug and fix.

Edit: I was able to fix the ending.
It shouldn't require absolutely anything to download the 7z file, never had in the past.

Anyway, lemme know of an alternative in case you need another file.

Glad it helped you fix the issue!

Btw, so far the only video that was replaced with a better quality option is the Konami logo, or were they all replaced?

Last edited:
Back