Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Translating Dracula X / SOTN Beta V1.02 1.021

You can't use a preexisting save state, and the region free did not work for you?
Oh, i didn't use a 0.80 savestate. Version 0.99 was my first time playing. And nope, no region free, it hanged at that screen.

Region patcher is fixed. Turns out if you had an oddball IPBin it would not patch correctly (Basically the security codes did not match the area codes)
Right now i am at the stairs of the Dracula room with Alucard, normal castle. No savestates whatsoever. Other than random lockups and some graphic glitches -most probably a fault of the Yaba Sanshiro core, i'm guessing- everything has been fine!

Thanks for your work.

A friend of mine was saving to external cartridge while playing v1.00 of the patch. At some point his cartridge became lose/otherwise unreadable and rather than the game returning an error message about not being able to read/write to the cart, he saw this:

1609596575191.png

Obviously it's a tiny detail, especially since the rest of the game is so polished and beautiful. However, I figured I'd bring it to your attention now because it's a edgecase not many others would ever encounter.

Those are hard to test. here is the txt file

Cartridge RAM
System RAM
No
Yes
Select RAM Slot
Memory card will be formatted.
Is it OK?
Overwrite current save?
Create a new save?
Game Saved.
Game could not be saved.
Data corrupt.
Here
I am
Rock you
a Hurricane

As you can see, you hit the WTF does this mean line lol

Those are hard to test. here is the txt file

Cartridge RAM
System RAM
No
Yes
Select RAM Slot
Memory card will be formatted.
Is it OK?
Overwrite current save?
Create a new save?
Game Saved.
Game could not be saved.
Data corrupt.
Here
I am
Rock you
a Hurricane

As you can see, you hit the WTF does this mean line lol
The last lines have me dying :D I think they included random words for random things that might or not happen.

Freeze report -
Version 0.99
Fenrir ODE

Game freezes after defeating boss pictured below in inverted castle. I also have a save on a Memory Card Plus, if there is a way to transfer it to PC, I don't know. The second picture is the moment of freeze/lock up:
DSC01285.JPG
DSC01286.JPG
DSC01283.JPG

I need to get myself a rad2x. I currently have a level hike, but the unit gets too hot for the casing, causing sound to distort.

That room is where you fight Beelzebub, who is a giant rotting corpse surrounded by flies.

The thunder giant is Galamoth and he is way further up the top.

Yes, its the rotting corpse boss which freezes the game after defeat. Upon further tests the unpatched version works fine. The English patched version freezes after that boss, as he is disintegrating.
EDIT: I also notice that the "Konami" FMV logo as you boot up the game sometimes freezes up, but you can still hear the sound. You can skip it using the start button, but if you do your game's music will be very choppy, so it's best to just reboot the console. I'd say this happens about 10% - 15% of the time.

Last edited:
Yes, its the rotting corpse boss which freezes the game after defeat. Upon further tests the unpatched version works fine. The English patched version freezes after that boss, as he is disintegrating.
EDIT: I also notice that the "Konami" FMV logo as you boot up the game sometimes freezes up, but you can still hear the sound. You can skip it using the start button, but if you do your game's music will be very choppy, so it's best to just reboot the console. I'd say this happens about 10% - 15% of the time.
Any chance you recently installed your fenrir and didn't swap in the new ribbon cable when you did so?

I ask because to simplify things I recently got a fenrir (and a v0 saturn) because I was tired of the Phoebe being so finicky to work with, and when I first installed the fenrir I got weird intermittent issues with FMV and odd crashes.

Once I had all the weird issues (which I'd never seen with the same .isos on my model 2 + phoebe setup), I decided to go back in and swap the ribbon cable with the new one that came with the Fenrir and voila, problem solved. So if by chance you didn't swap your ribbon cable when you installed you may try that.

@Knight0fDragon any luck resolving the issue I reported where the game hangs just before the end credits? I'm excited to do another playthrough but it's kind of a bummer not to be able to see the credits. If anyone's curious, it *does* seem that though you can't get back to the title screen after beating the game because of this issue if I'm not mistaken the save file does get annotated as a cleared save file. Or at the very least AXELORD and other codes that don't work on PSX version until you've beaten the game are working fine for me now.

Freeze report -
Version 0.99
Fenrir ODE

Game freezes after defeating boss pictured below in inverted castle. I also have a save on a Memory Card Plus, if there is a way to transfer it to PC, I don't know. The second picture is the moment of freeze/lock up:
View attachment 5749View attachment 5750View attachment 5751
Funny, i entered to report this, as i got to this area just this afternoon. :D

At first, i thought it was the Yaba Sanshiro core's fault. I ended up migrating my game to the more accurate Beetle Saturn core, as the random lock-ups when farming where getting me crazy and made me lose too much time, and this boss (Beelzebub) hanging up the game finally motivated me, as i had no choice.

97UbbTX.jpg

If you stand in the fire or close to it when you beat the boss, it hangs right before the Life Max Item spawns.
MJlI0hl.jpg

If you get far from the fire, the item spawn sound will play, but the game will still hang.

To get around this, i used the memory backup with the original japanese game. I was able to get past it without a problem, saved afterwards, then continued my game in the patched version.

Don't know if you're interested, but the PSX English translation of the NTSC-J has this beautiful title screen that could be useful to you.
CUiZ2TZ.jpg

paul_met introduced a minor improvement in his PSX Quality Hack by making the loading rooms on the global map highlighted in white. This along the much longed one button/combo button map could be great additions to your translation! I was going to suggest simplifying some magic moves for all the characters but i saw it was already commented before.

Well, off i go to get the last two endings. :thrasher:

Last edited:
Any chance you recently installed your fenrir and didn't swap in the new ribbon cable when you did so?

I ask because to simplify things I recently got a fenrir (and a v0 saturn) because I was tired of the Phoebe being so finicky to work with, and when I first installed the fenrir I got weird intermittent issues with FMV and odd crashes.

Once I had all the weird issues (which I'd never seen with the same .isos on my model 2 + phoebe setup), I decided to go back in and swap the ribbon cable with the new one that came with the Fenrir and voila, problem solved. So if by chance you didn't swap your ribbon cable when you installed you may try that.

@Knight0fDragon any luck resolving the issue I reported where the game hangs just before the end credits? I'm excited to do another playthrough but it's kind of a bummer not to be able to see the credits. If anyone's curious, it *does* seem that though you can't get back to the title screen after beating the game because of this issue if I'm not mistaken the save file does get annotated as a cleared save file. Or at the very least AXELORD and other codes that don't work on PSX version until you've beaten the game are working fine for me now.
that is resolved in 1.00

Back