Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Translating Dracula X / SOTN Beta V1.02 1.021

Knight0fDragon

Patron Supporter
Progress tracker:

V1.02
The moment everybody has been waiting for, the cross over from translation to improvements.

In this patch, you will find the following updates:
All ending freezes have been fixed.
Beezlebub freeze has been fixed.
After defeating Dracula the first time with Richter, the title of CASTLEVANIA appears.
All time text has been fixed and is formatted correctly.
Cloak Setting has been fixed.
Sort Item has been fixed.
Advice is renamed to Voices and now displays the names of the actors of the Japanese hidden voices.
Death's scrolling text has been fixed the first time you meet him.
Some graphical glitches have been fixed.
Fixed item names and descriptions.
Richter portrait has been fixed.
Comments now display your selected name.

Known bugs.
If you have 10+ items, the number may go beyond allotted space.
Maria holy glass fight is unskippable.

Things to do for the improvement portions of the next build.
Quick access to map.
Fix slowdowns.
Add shadow to text.
Figure out the Shukuchi boots and see if it can be unlocked.
Add in a Richter sprite that matches good Richter portrait and not the evil one.
Add English Voices.
Add PSP text.
Expand text size to allow exact PSX translation.

Started a KanBan over at Trello, all bugs and features could be reported at Trello .

This version is now a safe version to start repros. Even though I do not recommend selling this translation patch, I know
people are going to do so regardless, so please mark version 1.2 on the label, credit me for this patch, show people where they can go for updates,
update a non translation patch with a translation patch available for free, and offer disc only versions for people to update.

I am currently going to take a little pause from this project and focus on other things, so do not expect any of the newer changes in the near future.

I have some work I need to do on Shining Force 3, the Saturn Patcher, 2 other translation projects, and a various amount of other tools.

This download can be found at the following location in resources: Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Once linked, you should be able to see a download button on the actual page going forward.

Merry Belmontmas!
SOTN Beta is now out, and along with it comes a brand new patcher for everybody to use, to make Saturn patching
hopefully easier.

In this version, almost all of the text is translated that I can find.

Special thanks to TrekkiesUnite118 for the translated and updated Trumotion videos.

Hope you enjoy, V1.00 will be out in time for the Saturn homebrew contest, so please
report any issues asap.

Please keep in mind, the new patcher is slow. Still have a few optimizations I need to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Well, somebody has finally done it. Here is the alpha patch for SOTN on Saturn.

The game is mostly playable. I tried pushing to get as much done for Halloween, so I apologize for it not being finished.

To all of the people who are going to rip this off and make a repro of it without my permission, please at least give me the
courtesy of finishing it before making physical discs out of it.

To patch, use xdelta xdelta UI or MultiPatch

If people want to help me with the parts that are crashing. If you are using a an emulator with a debugger, place a breakpoint at 0601960c and let me know what the address is at register 4. That would be Shift-JIS text that still needs to be translated to ASCII.

SOTN (Dracula X) Saturn patch for Sega Saturn
Copyright Konami 1998
Copyright Knight0fDragon 2020 (Parts not owned by Konami)
This patch is provided for non-commercial use only, and
is free for personal use.
If you have paid for this, ask for your money back.
Currently this patch only works for an image that
aligns with what is on redump.

V0.99
Merry Belmontmas!
SOTN Beta is now out, and along with it comes a brand new patcher for everybody to use, to make Saturn patching
hopefully easier.

In this version, almost all of the text is translated that I can find.

Special thanks to TrekkiesUnite118 for the translated and updated Trumotion videos.

Hope you enjoy, V1.00 will be out in time for the Saturn homebrew contest, so please
report any issues asap.

Along with this release, is a new patching program that I hope becomes widely used.

It is called the Sega Saturn Patcher, and with it you can rip your discs to a format of your choice, apply region patches, and apply game patches
that conform to my new format.

Happy sleighing everybody.

Known issues:
Voice still not supported.
Translation still loosly based on PSX
Sub Menus will show hidden text
Red boxes may not fill up areas
V0.81
Fixed items crashing game issue. Will display "Obtained." Need to update my text writing routine to handle
Obtained <Item Name>

V0.80
Happy Halloween.
Thank you for trying out the alpha build of SOTN on Sega Saturn
This version has most of the items and enemies names translated,
as well as some of the story translated.
This patch is loosely based on the PSX translation version. The final version will contain the PSP version.
I currently need a lot of saves to go through the different aspects in the story line.
If you see an issue, please provide a save file (not a save state) with details as best
as you can as to what the issue is.

Known issues:
Later story and ending text not translated.
Alucard's name at the ending not translated.
Locations may be wrong and wrap. This requires an 8x8 font routine to be written.
Some gates messages may be wrong and wrap. This requires an 8x8 font routine to be written.
Entering a new area still has Japanese text.
Stat screen has Japanese text.
In game menu options are not aligned for English and may not all be translated.
Outer wall elevator switch still has Japanese text.
Title screen not converted to SOTN.
Speech pauses and text may not align in certain places.
Some speeches may have the last line cut off. (This requires a new patcher)
First meeting of Death has translucent effect.

If you would like to buy me a coffee to say thank you, McDonalds coffee is
my preferred choice. You can't beat it for $1. If you would like to donate,
you can send via PayPal to knight0fdragon@gmail.com.

Attachments

• Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0002.png
    Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0002.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,899
  • Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0003.png
    Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0003.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,904
  • Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0004.png
    Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0004.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,856
  • Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0005.png
    Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku (Japan) (2M)-0005.png
    19 KB · Views: 1,726
  • draculax.jpg
    draculax.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 1,244
  • dracxnewsbanner..jpg
    dracxnewsbanner..jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,837
Last edited:
WOW! This is amazing! Thank you so much!

Do you know how we would go about applying this English patch to the 4M version?

WOW! This is amazing! Thank you so much!

Do you know how we would go about applying this English patch to the 4M version?
Not sure,but the 4M patch doesnt actually do much. The long loading times is more of a software issue then it is loading a few files.

Not sure,but the 4M patch doesnt actually do much. The long loading times is more of a software issue then it is loading a few files.
It also has the quality of life changes like the hotkeys to pull up the map and the ability to skip cutscenes, so I think I and many others in the community would love a "definitive" Saturn SotN using your patch and that one.

great job! i just tested it out for a bit,
one of the known issue you mention...first meeting of Death has translucent effect.

its better than the mesh effect lol I wonder how did that happen? is it possible to make all the speech window translucent?

great job! i just tested it out for a bit,
one of the known issue you mention...first meeting of Death has translucent effect.

its better than the mesh effect lol I wonder how did that happen? is it possible to make all the speech window translucent?
Paul met introduced it a while back. I have been playing around with other areas as well, I just accidently left it in and said forget it lol

I applied the patch and the game freezes at the title screen, before the "Press Start" dialogue appears. Running on original Model 2 Saturn with the MODE.

Thank you so much for doing this, I've been playing on the Fenrir it's great to play the game in English on real hardware (VA1 model). I'm not getting the game freezing at the title screen but one bug I found is when picking up the cube of Zoe (materialize cube) the game hangs and the system has to be restarted. I tried the same item in a non-patched version of the game and had no issue when picking it up.

Thanks again, this is really awesome!

If you can get me a save somehow, that would be awesome
Thank you so much for doing this, I've been playing on the Fenrir it's great to play the game in English on real hardware (VA1 model). I'm not getting the game freezing at the title screen but one bug I found is when picking up the cube of Zoe (materialize cube) the game hangs and the system has to be restarted. I tried the same item in a non-patched version of the game and had no issue when picking it up.

I've not done that before but the Fenrir just got the ability to back up saves to the SD card so I'll give it my best shot, however it takes about 10 minutes to get to that point in the game if you wanted to have a go. It's right after Death steals your stuff.

I have this same issue using mednafen The game also crashed on the first door you go into after the second save room.

I remember when I first looked into translating this, the text tables had so many thousands of pointers that I simply gave up. It was easier to have the weapons kanji table on gamefaqs opened while playing.

But it has instant menu acess, map shortcut and easier commands for Maria moves. I would love to see that hack translated.
Anyway, thank you for your work. Really nice to see real commitment for this game finally.

Back