Tri-wing screws?

ExCyber

Staff member
Anyone know of a good way to get tri-wing screws (the kind used on e.g. Gameboy and DS) out using something more readily available than a tri-wing driver?

No idea, but I'd like to know myself. Need to clean out my snes, hopefully that will fix it instead of having to buy another one. I've also seen tri-wing bits, which are about half the price of a driver though.

I've used (quite painstakingly) a 5/32 Nut Driver that I got in a set from the local Lowes. After a couple times of using it though, the screws will be rounded enough that it is going to really to be hard to get them out again. To have it work, you must be right on the screw (not at an angle on it) with the bit, and very straight and slow in removing with lots of pressure. It might be much easier for a DS where the screws aren't as deep into the case.

a $7.00 tri-wing screwdriver/adaptor is surely worth it it my experience.

Some folks have had luck with getting the hard plastic bic pens, heating the ends, pressing the end onto one of the screws, letting it set for a moment and pulling it out and cooling it. I've had limitted luck and once got the pen melted inside the long screw holes of the gamecube, not a good deal at all.

Search for the Mod That Cube site, it has lots of details to the pen trick.

Originally posted by "Edge-`"

a $7.00 tri-wing screwdriver/adaptor is surely worth it it my experience.
The main problem I'm having is that I can't find a place that:

1) Has it reasonably priced on its own and not as part of a kit

2) Charges reasonable amounts for shipping+handling

3) Has it in stock

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

You can find quite a few tri-wing bits on ebay as well, which I've seen go for about $2.50 and never really have an issue finding them.

Back