Trouble with modchip v2 32Pin

I installed the modchip from racketboy via bridging A + B and the +5V line. Unfortunately it is not functioning properly. On boot:

CD Drive Spins

The Eye goes to the inner rings of disc and stays there

Saturn Logo

I get the CD player screen with green cubes

Error message along lines of cannot read disc

I can get it to boot an official saturn game but i have to start it with the drive door open and close it at the saturn logo then run application from the cd player screen. No luck with a backup, however the backups were bootable on my v.1 with the swap trick.

All connections have been check for continuity.

Pictures!!!!!1111111111111111111111111ONEONEONEONE

[attachmentid=1664]

[attachmentid=1665]

[attachmentid=1666]

[attachmentid=1667]

[attachmentid=1668]

Attachments

• ChipBack.jpg
    ChipBack.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 156
  • ChipFront.jpg
    ChipFront.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 164
  • FrontLink.jpg
    FrontLink.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Power5Vlink.jpg
    Power5Vlink.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 128
  • BirdsRChirping.jpg
    BirdsRChirping.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 148
Originally posted by TheFox@Sun, 2006-01-08 @ 09:02 PM

I installed the modchip from racketboy via bridging A + B and the +5V line. Unfortunately it is not functioning properly. On boot:

CD Drive Spins

The Eye goes to the inner rings of disc and stays there

Saturn Logo

I get the CD player screen with green cubes

Error message along lines of cannot read disc

I can get it to boot an official saturn game but i have to start it with the drive door open and close it at the saturn logo then run application from the cd player screen. No luck with a backup, however the backups were bootable on my v.1 with the swap trick.

All connections have been check for continuity.

0. your console is v1 ? but your blue modboard/chip from racketboy is v1 not v2 according to one of the rarely dealers - http://www.robwebb.clara.co.uk/shop/saturn/saturn.htm - who has both versions.

besides his v2 is certainly a v9.5 (board says EMSIC7 or 8, I got such a chip - see) coz he is for mainboard (VA9) and a derivative from v9.0 which was originally for the VA9.

so his v1 which is for mainboard VA9 too, but from another developer, it is a ?ripped? redesign/edition and should be called ? "clone v9.0" ?

1. tried both "0014" and "0019" settings to see which works for your console ?

(To do this remove the solder bridge on one side and connect the other side with solder.)

2. could be a contact-problem from modboard to mainboard as in a earlier post from me in another thread:

>I recommend: put the modchipboard into mainboard not cd-board. the modchipboard is maybe a little bit bend so some contacts have no contact in the mainboardslot, this was a error for me with 2 modchipboards resulting in strange red/yellow/green spheres or cubes combos at boot. I resoldered the flatcable-port at the modchipboard (that was the reason) to unbend the modchipboards and to get good contact within slot at mainboard.

try to operate your saturn without lid so u can push the modboard a little bit during/between your bootexperiments so I figured out it was a contactproblem.

3. maybe "signal" via original cd-board-cable is to weak and you should linking the signal wire (A) to pin 14 of the 32-pin chip instead of linking to point B.

Back