Twice I've been hit on ebay in a row! grrrr

lordofduct

Established Member

I've ebayed since Jun-07-2000. I've done a lot of transactions and never had any problems. I've never had to leave a negative comment... not even a neutral. I have only received one neg. myself (back in 2000 on some movie that the bitch decided I should have to pay some absurd amount of shipping. I think she was pissed I won it at such a low price).

Anyways:

on Nov. 24th at 1 AM I purchased a 1.8 Ghz P4 from a guy located in Chico, CA. I paid immediately as I always do (unless the person requests not to for some reason). Later that day at noon I received an email saying the item was shipped. Good.

After some more communication with the guy, communication with another buyer of his who hasn't received their item (and actuall received a refund with no explanation) and other crap. I still haven't received my item 3 weeks later! WTF!? So I filed a compaint with ebay.

-----

Now I posted a PS2 with memory card, controller, Xenosaga and Silent Hill 3. I started it low, but put a buy it now of 120 dollars on it thinking that is a fair price for it. I mail USPS Priority in the US and CA, for international people I request them to email before paying so we can discuss shipping.

My item sells in a matter of 2 hours... weird.

I then receive this email:

Hello,

Compliment of the season to you. I am Mark Smith from FL

USA,but Presently in London,England for a church seminal. I saw your product item below on ebay # 8243429651 and i am really intrested in buying it for my Daugther as a surprise gift for her in school(university of lagos)at nigeria and i will handle the shipment expenses.i will send

you my fedex account so you will not pay no money for shipping.

i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so kindly send me your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS so as to immedaitely make out your payment.make sure you get the package ready for shipment,you can ship the item as soon as you recieve the paypal confirmation.Expecting your reply so as to immedaitely make out the payment.

Thanks,

Mark Smith

N.B....... If terms are acceptable.send me your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS

and i will make out your payment immedaitely and you will receive the

payment comfirmation from paypal.

smells kinda fishy?

Well just now I got on ebay to check status and everything and what is this? The ebay account was created just today and was cancelled shortly after buying my item! WTF!?

What should I do? Should I contact him? I'm gonna get buggered out of like 4 or 5 bucks for this one as well if i don't get paid for the item... which isn't a lot of money, but still it is really annoying!

What if I do contact him and he tries to scam me for whatever reason. I just don't feel like dealing with some annoying Nigerian twit right now. I just want to sell my freaking PS2.

Yea, he definetly sounds like a scammer. Report him to ebay.

I wouldn't deal with him, but how come you have been ebaying since June 2000 for 7 years?

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Thu, 2005-12-15 @ 12:41 PM

I wouldn't deal with him, but how come you have been ebaying since June 2000 for 7 years?

[post=142569]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry... I've been ebaying for more like 6 and 1/2. 1 year on my parents account and since jun 2000 on my own account.

But yeah... I reported both those guys... it just really irritates me I have to go through all this trouble. Grrrr

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-12-15 @ 12:34 PM

Sorry... I've been ebaying for more like 6 and 1/2. 1 year on my parents account and since jun 2000 on my own account.

But yeah... I reported both those guys... it just really irritates me I have to go through all this trouble. Grrrr

[post=142570]Quoted post[/post]​

Good thing you reported it, sounded very weird from the get-go. :D

Yeah, depending on the buy-it-now/starting price, its at least 25 cents a listing.

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Fri, 2005-12-16 @ 12:25 PM

Does it cost money to post a listing on ebay?

[post=142587]Quoted post[/post]​

The item cost me 85 cents to list (.25 for listing and .60 for buy it now)

Then the closing costs were about 4.04 USD. costing me a total of 4.89. The 4.04 was refunded, but I don't get the .85 cents back... whatever, lost a dollar.

I think I am just going to hold on to the PS2 now, unless someone here wants it. It works great.

You *should* be able to relist the PS2 for no charge. Been a while since I had to do a relist, though.

And good call on NOT shipping it to Nigeria. You have to have special licensing from the government to sell computers (and video game systems) to people outside the USA, especially to third-world countries that are ripe with terrorists. (They made a whole episode of Law and Order out of this last year.) Apparently, a PS2 or Xbox can be used to control the navigation system of a Scud missile or something. I doubt you'd get into trouble for selling it to someone in a "friendly" country like England, France, Germany, Australia, or Canada, but customs *would* stop a package going to Nigeria that had computer parts in it.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Sat, 2005-12-17 @ 05:21 PM

You *should* be able to relist the PS2 for no charge. Been a while since I had to do a relist, though.

And good call on NOT shipping it to Nigeria. You have to have special licensing from the government to sell computers (and video game systems) to people outside the USA, especially to third-world countries that are ripe with terrorists. (They made a whole episode of Law and Order out of this last year.) Apparently, a PS2 or Xbox can be used to control the navigation system of a Scud missile or something. I doubt you'd get into trouble for selling it to someone in a "friendly" country like England, France, Germany, Australia, or Canada, but customs *would* stop a package going to Nigeria that had computer parts in it.

[post=142609]Quoted post[/post]​

I didn't know that... interesting.

Nigerian scams are very prevalant all over the internet, most recently, Ebay since they opened up registration to Nigeria.

If you really want to get back at this guy you can email him telling him that you have a whole crate of top of the line (insert brand here) laptops that you would like to sell him, he only has to pay freight. So then you go to your local shipper and send a crate of rocks, ham sandwiches, trash, or whatever on the Nigerian's bill.

If your'e interested in hearing what some other people did to these scammers wisit this website:

http://www.419eater.com/

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Sat, 2005-12-17 @ 04:21 PM

[post=142609]Quoted post[/post]​

This is true, if you relist one time and your item sells then you are refunded the listing fees for the first time. If your item doesn't sell you pay the listing fee for both the first and second time.

I just got recently screwed by a seller... told me he could no longer log onto ebay or paypal and that i should file a claim with paypal... i did, i got $6.79 of the $23.00 I paid the individual... there weren't enough funds in his account to refund me... the god damn bastard...

For the original poster. I had probably the same person do the exact samething to me on an auction with 10 rare ps1 rpg's The email he sent you looked almost identical to the one I recieved cept it was for his son at University of Nigeria and not his daughter and he was in Holland in mine for a church thing instead of where he was for yours. I got numerous fake paypal emails from him among other things.

Anytime you even have a hint of something fishy I would contact paypal with the emails they sent and also ebay. Also anytime someone cancels their account shortly after contacting you, they are a crook.

I do hope he read the emails I sent back to him, I atleast think they made him alittle angry with my constructive... criticism :)

I just got hit by the same scam!!! of course i didnt follow through with it, and just relisted it-reported them and banned them... but its funny i was just reading this after posting a similar topic at another forum- to see if anyone else had got this- imagine how big my eyes got when i started to read your thread... heres my story..

hey all-

just getting your opinion on a recent sell i had.. im selling a xbox 360 for my roomate, and had a buy it now of 600.00. Anyhow- someone uses the buy it now option- so i check who it is, and i see its someone with no feedback, and apparently theyre no longer a registered user.. and looks like they just created their account for the sole purpose of buying it... and i get this email from them..

Hello,

Merry Christmas And Happy New year to you .I'm Foxy Moses from GEORGIA, but Presently i'm leading a conventional church program in Canada. I saw your item (8248647987) and i'll like to buy it for my son that will be starting a Computer science course in University of Nigeria Next week. Do not worry about the shipping of the item, i have an account with FEDEX and i'll be sending you my FEDEX account number for the shipping . Moreover i would have prefer to send you a cheque but simply because i want you to ship the item first thing tomorrow morning, i will be sending you payment via PAYPAL,so make sure you get the package ready for tomorrow shipment ok? And kindly send me your paypal address or your contact,so i can make the payment right away. Thanks

Foxy Moses.

now is it me or does this reek of a scam?? I believe on my auctions i no zero feedback bidders- but that can be worked out by contacting me.. but something about this email and their account set off bells... any thoughts??

Wow, mine said nothing about shipping the following day.

Ha, come now, I NEVER mail anything until the payment has cleared (which Paypal lets you check). Freaking retarded bums... I hate these people.

Which reminds me. You ever go to The University of Nigeria's website. I remember finding this last year and laughing my freaking ass off.

I hate them too.. i wrote them a heated email back.. propably wont get it.. but just in case i turned my firewall and antivirus up to maximum- they could be skilled crooks! I still cant get over your story-cause i was just showing my email to my roomate-and how i was sure it was a scam.. and im just playing my gameboy and browsing the forums-when bam! almost the exact email as mine..! but really, foxy moses!- couldnt they do better?? no seymour butts?? come on! :wanker

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2006-01-04 @ 12:57 PM

You ever go to The University of Nigeria's website. I remember finding this last year and laughing my freaking ass off.

[post=143193]Quoted post[/post]​

Are they pretending to give 10,000,000 US dollars to everyone who enters?

And I think the Alumni are random mugshots stolen from the police. look at John Francoise for example.

john_francois.jpg

Prisoner #109372

Back