Unity no more

Damn, that is a major bummer. But yeah, that's usually what happens when there's no news about the game for a while. Ah well, maybe we'll see it on the next generation consoles?

It was supposed to be awesome, evidently. I have no idea precisely what kind of game it was meant to be, but I doubt it would have been conventional with Jeff Minter and Lionhead involved. Minter described it in an interview as:

Originally posted by Jeff Minter

Unity is an abstract shooter, plus a bit more. It is intended to combine the satisfaction that you get from playing a good shooter with the satisfaction that you get from operating a lightsynth -- hence, "Unity."

Sounds vaguely like Rez, but if they were going to merely clone it, it would have been out by now.

There's a few (months-old) videos circulating, there seems to have been two parts to the game - a sidescrolling bit and a Tempest-esque tunnel bit. One of the main ideas of the game was that all levels would be generated, based on the music and how you played etc.

Apart from funding and publishing the game, Lionhead's involvement was limited to providing the music. Basically it was another solo project from Minter.

I think it would be better on PS2 that way when you got bothered with the music you could pop up a music cd in the drive and play to that, kind like that really old demo that came with PS.

Ever played Vib Ribbon on PS? That was a really sweet game. You could use your own CDs with it, too.

As I understand it, Minter had designed some system that essentially meant that you could play to music on your stereo and the game would get the beat (and create the levels) from your actions.

Yeah like Vib Ribbon I still want to play that game looks really fun, REZ also on PS2 should have had this option IMO or the DC version but since the PS2 came later.

REZ with custom soundtracks would have been cool, but it would have taken away from the experience. All the levels and enemies were totally designed around the music, and I don't think it would be possibly to 'synthesize' that kind of thing in real time.

An Extra level for custom music was what I had in mind, love the last level with the awesome Adam Freeland music fits the level like a glove!

Yeah, I guess that could be done with something like the level that was used with the Oval song in the game.

Back