Updated my tile graphic tool

http://feidian.sourceforge.net/

Done a heck of a lot with this since the last time I posted about it. Noteably color. It supports any tile format you want to make a simple definition for up to 16 colors in both linear and planar format. I used it to dump the font from Rhapsody of Zephyr on Dreamcast. It's also been used to do 10x12 4bpp fonts like Final Fantasy Tactics (not Sega related) that nothing else could handle.

The learning curve is pretty mild. You basically need a flexible viewer like Nana then you use FEIDIAN to make a custom-tile definition and dump the graphics, edit them, and stick them back in.

Some of the other things it does are Binary Character Recognition (using one graphic and table to fill in another). It could be handy for something like Sakura Wars where there's a load of font tables but all using the same character set. You'd just need to make a tile definition for the font.

Also you can pad tile sets to give the extra character spacing OCRs need, transform down to monochrome graphics using custom tile definitions, customize dumping palettes, and other fluffy junk you'd be better off using it to see.

Aside from a load of 1bpp formats (which supports a load of Saturn games), there's been tile definitions done for a lot of 2/3/4bpp (4/8/16 color) graphic formats. There's a database on the site so you can add any tile definitions you make and any dump strings for game fonts.

The screenshots page also shows off some of its dual-letter tile generation features by translating some of the opening screens of Langrisser IV.

Anyway, it might be useful to people looking to do translations on Sega systems since it's a really flexible tile graphic editor. It runs on any OS you can put PHP and a graphic editor on (which is just about all of them).

Some other graphics extracted:

Dragon Warrior VI sprites

Final Fantasy Adventure sprites

Langrisser: Hikari no Matsuei PCE-CD sprites

Back