US NiGHTS on Japanese Saturn

Hi,

Has anyone had trouble running US NiGHTS on a Japanese Saturn? I know it's a pretty obscure thing to ask, but I've just received my white Saturn and so tried to boot up a recent US purchase of the masterpiece; the game freezes just before the title screen (i.e. after Sonic Team logo and intro FMV).

I've tried my UK version (as a side note, because it's an unoptimised conversion, I'm dazzled by the speed increase!) and it works OK, so I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the game, the system, my Action Replay or who knows what. Perhaps this issue is already known?

Thanks,

Daniel

It works okay for me. Though I installed a region switch on my Japanese Saturn so I don't use the PAR cart.

I can "emulate" your setting by leaving the Saturn on the Japanese region and try to play the US nights on the PAR cart, if you care.

More info:

- US NiGHTS actually seems to freeze the whole Japanese Saturn, as pressing Start does not make the familiar title screen sound, the reset button seems to stop working and I don't hear any recognisable CD accessing

- the same US NiGHTS works on my UK Saturn

- my UK NiGHTS works on the Japanese Saturn

I don't think this could be related to my specific copy of the (US) game, or that it's some obscure video problem. I would really appreciate your test if you have the time! =)

Just tried all different possible combinations, and it worked for me. I have later revision of the gray model 1 Japanese Saturn. (Actually the internals of it are - I gutted a gray saturn and put inside a black US saturn shell).

JP setting - Action Reply Cart

JP setting - No AR cart

US setting - AR cart

US Setting - No AR cart.

And what's weired is they ALL worked. US nights seems to be one of those rare games where it has both the US and the JP region codes in its header.

It's strange... Only different factor is that since I'm in Canada, I'm using an NTSC TV, but I don't see why it'd make a big difference. Strange.

And to be honest, it's a backup copy that I made from my original, (and I just don't remember what happened to my original copy!) though once again, that shouldn't make a difference.

No way! I wonder what could be up . . . =S Oh well, thanks very much for your help! I'm currently using a white Model 2 (I think white Model 1s were very limited if they did exist).

I gutted a gray saturn and put inside a black US saturn shell
Really? Do you prefer the black shells? I don't mind them . . . but they're a bit plain compared to the Japanese ones. Mind you, I was stuck with black for so long I may have got bored of it. =D

US nights seems to be one of those rare games where it has both the US and the JP region codes in its header.
Wow. I didn't even know that was possible. In that case, I'll try without the cart, but I fear this is a lost cause. I do have another US version coming (long story - one's getting sold), but I don't understand why that would work if this one doesn't.

Oh well, a Japan version is on the way with another item - if that doesn't work, it's really a case to worry!

I am using an ageing PAL TV, but (thankfully) it supports NTSC (although it does have some artefacting, but it's bearable). As I said, though, I doubt this could be a factor.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you mean model 1 as in gray units being rare, I suppose they're less of them out there than the white ones, but still plenty... At least I found tons in used game shops in Japan when I lived there.

And yeah, I really do like the "sleek" look of black Saturns - especially the model 1 units with the access light and the glossy instrument panel. I sometimes feel like I'm in the minority there, though. I transplanted the gray units guts just because the shell wasn't in such a great shape to begin out with. (But I also moved over the blue buttons of the Jp saturn over to the black shell just to give a little flair, though I don't necessarily think it looks better... blue on black... hmmm :vollkommenauf:

Anyway, hope you get everything sorted one way or another -

I was thinking of white model 1s which, according to Wikipedia's Saturn page, were produced in limited quantities. I've never seen so much as a picture of these, so I imagine they must be very rare!

I quite like the look of Model 1s as well, but my only one is a black UK, which has seen better days, to be honest. I'd like to pick up a gray one to add to my ever-expanding collection some day, of course! =D

Anyway, I'll wait and test a different US copy of NiGHTS but I don't see that making any difference. Will also test it on the skeleton Saturn when I can. Thanks anyway.

Well, the skeletal Saturn (pretty good-looking beast, by the way!) arrived today and, having just tested the offending copy of NiGHTS on it, I can confirm that it doesn't go past the Sonic Team logo or intro FMV either. As with the white system, the disc continues to spin rapidly and no buttons aside from Reset have any effect.

The plot thickens . . . I really don't see how the other US copy of NiGHTS which I am awaiting could work where this one doesn't (or how this one seemingly works on my main UK system), but I'll remain ever open-minded.

Yeah, I've never seen a white unit with oval buttons - just tried searching the web and even Japanese websites, but came up empty. Must be really rare if they really do exist.

And that is really strange. Do keep us all posted, I've never heard of this particular problem till now either.

Skeleton units, huh? Yeah, they definitely look good. I really like the sleek Hi-Saturn Navi, but with how much they go for, I won't be getting one anytime soon (or probably ever...)

I'm just annoyed that my white Saturn (which was brand new and otherwise flawless) has a scuff on the front-left corner - and I don't know if I did it or not! =(((((((( It's hard to find white Saturn stuff that is actually, well - white - these days. Guess I'll have to live with the mark!

As an update to my progress: another US copy of NiGHTS seems to work perfectly! Now this is bizarre.

Back