usb 2.0 problem

my computer is old i bought it before usb 2.0 came out. ok well i bought a pci usb 2.0 card and installed it. I have windows xp pro sp2 so i thought that just letting windows do it's thing with it it'd install correctly. well i bought a usb 2.0 hard drive and plugged it in and it was saying that it was not connected to a high speed usp blah blah blah and woudln't function at it's fullest speed. so i went into the hardware manager and all i have listed are:

Intel® 82801AA USB Universal host controller, Nec PCI to USB Open Host Controller(listed twice), Standard enhanced Pci to Usb Host Controller, and then USB Root Hub(listed 4 times). So can anyone help me out and get me to where it'll function as usb 2.0

Right click the Nec PCI to USB host controller (either one... I'm guessing the PCI card has 2 ports... that'd be why it's listed twice.)

Click 'Properties'.

Now click the 'Driver' tab in the window that appears

in that tab click 'update driver'

The card should have come with a disc... insert the disk and tell the wizard to search just that drive. It 'should' find them.

If no disc... go to www.driversguide.com and find them, download and just click and install. (however the directions there tell you. Different drivers sometimes need weird ways due to lack of installer software being supplied).

----

From my experience with XP it does this a lot with older boards and some newer boards. I know everytime I use MSI boards it just installs all the onboard stuff as 1.1 and I have to manually install the 2.0 drivers.

Oh and I know of "1 person" to of done this and XP still treated the card as 1.1 due to the rest of the ports. What I would do in that situation is uninstall all the USB drivers and start over from the beginning installing first with the 2.0 first.

eh i just forces some random drivers on it and hopefully it'll work. i think they're the right drivers i dont know the box is long gone so i just guessed at the manufacture and download drivers off them

EHCI is the USB 2.0 controller- UHCI and OHCI are 1.1. Typically you will see two drivers loaded for any USB 2.0 card -- one UHCI or OHCI and one EHCI, since it needs to fall back on the UHCI/OHCI controller for 1.1 modes.

So you have at least 1 2.0 port that should be active right now, assuming the correct driver is loaded. It's possible that your card isn't recognizing the HD as a USB 2.0 device and as such is falling back to 1.1. To work around this, try disabling the NEC OHCI devices.

Back