Warez to Freeware Conversion Thread

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Thought I would start a thread for all you guys who would like some "alternatives" for pay for apps for Windows. If you would like to add something here please do.

Dreamweaver/Frontpage - Nvu

MS Office - Open Office

Adobe Photoshop - The Gimp

Norton/McAffe Antivirus - AVG

dctf.gif

All of these software are free but they is so much ad / stupid visual stuff / buy the pro version reminders in it that it's nice to have alternatives :

Windows Media Player -> Media Player Classic

Real Player -> Real Alternative (for use with Media Player Classic)

Quicktime Player -> Quick Alternative (for use with Media Player Classic)

DivX Pro (and WmV, and DVD player, and every codec you might need) -> K-Lite Codec Pack

Forget every other codec pack you've seen, the k-lite will install only those you want and need.

Djidjo

How can the pack be an alternative to DivX if it installs DivX (same for Windows Media etc)? Looking at what it contains I doubt it can be classified as an "alternative to warez" - you're usually not allowed to redistribute the codecs "bare" even if the software is a free download otherwise and some of them are decidedly dodgy.

Anyhoo: for watching MPEG4: ffdshow, for encoding: XviD.

I don't know about the legality of the k-lite codec pack which installs a freeware version of the DivX Pro without all the ad. Same for Real and Quick Alternatives.

BUT I'm sure Media Player Classic is legal, it's a GNU/GPL project, and it looks like a Windows Media Player 6.4 clone, but there's nothing illegal in it.

Anyway, you're right to mention it's not an alternative to warez, it's an alternative to ad-and-spyware. So feel free to delete it.

Djidjo

Forget Divx. Get ffdshow instead.

This single codec can playback Divx 3, 4, 5, XVID, 3VIX, and a whole bunch of other formats. It has a better decoding performance than DivX, support subtitles at decoder-level, so you can use whatever player you want and you can see the subs in your TV if your videocard routes overlay video to the TV-out (a feature I use a lot). It also have a huge amount of features, like advanced color adjustement options, real-time filters (blur, sharpen, noise, etc), ability to resize videos in real time (a good way to watch low resolution stuff with a bit more quality), etc.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@May 31, 2004 @ 06:49 AM

Antivirus/Firewall - Ez Armor

Hey Ice,

I installed EZ-Armor, but I don't think it's really freeware. I think it's only good for one year. I personally love trendmicro's online virus scan, but it has it's disadvantages.

Pick up a rock and close your eyes. Spin around seven times really really fast then throw the rock. Congratulations, you have just hit five free mail clients square in the head. (For example, Thunderbird.)

Low - polygon game-model creator (for existing games and your own) - Milkshape 3D

It's very easy to import models into say, an OpenGL-based application (depending on what file format you target).

It turns out that there's a page that lists a bunch of free/open source apps for Windows without being ugly and byzantine like Tucows and download.com. It's got a ton of stuff, check it out. :)

Back