What 2D Fighter games/characters should I focus on

racketboy

Established Member
I'm a pretty big 2D fighter fan. Not super hardcore enough to memorize everything and join tournements and such, but it's my favorite genre and I have played at least a little bit of almost every major 2D fighter and been playing lots of the Street Fighter series since the original (1, not 2) was in the arcades.

But to be honest, I usually get beat by most of the hardcore/the-arcade-is-my-home/well-practiced players in the arcades.

So I'd like to ask the other 2D fighter gurus what games (ones on the DC) and characters I should focus on practicing with to stand a better chance in the arcades.

Right now I play mostly with Ken from SF and Terry Bogard is usually my go-to-guy for SNK games. Are they good ones to use in most of the Capcom, SNK, and crossover games? Or are there other character I should practice with? A key factor is moves that are similar for that character (or similar stlye characters) across a number of games.

I wish I had time to perfect my skills in all characters, but I don't

Of the Dreamcast 2D fighting game library I would recommend the following -

King of Fighters 1999 Dream Match (98)

King of Fighters 2001

King of Fighters 2002

Gekka no Kenshi 2

Garou - Mark of the Wolves

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Street Fighter 3 - Third Strike

I know what games are good, Des, I have all of them.

I'm asking what characters I should practice with the most and on what game

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 4, 2004 @ 02:05 PM

I know what games are good, Des, I have all of them.

I'm asking what characters I should practice with the most and on what game

You mean, the characters you should use to... "improve"?

- King of Fighters 1999

Iori Yagami - Orochi Yashiro/standard Yashiro - Kyo Kusanagi - Saisyu Kusanagi - Goro Daimon

- King of Fighters 2001

Iori Yagami - Lin - K9999 - Heidern - Ralf - Clark - Goro Daimon

- Gekka no Kenshi 2

Moriya - Setsuna - Zantetsu

- Garou - Mark of the Wolves

Terry Bogard - Rock Howard

- Marvel vs Capcom 2

Strider Hiryu - Magneto - Hulk - Jin Saotome

- Street Fighter 3 - Third Strike

Chun-Li

are Iori Yagami's moves pretty much the same in all the KOFs and the vs. games?

How bout Chun Li's? In my experience, Chun Li seems significantly different between SFII, SFIII, the VS series, and the Alpha series.

My goal is to have like 4 characters that I can learn to play well on a couple of games and be able to use them effectively on whatever arcade game I choose.

Example: I can learn to play Ken well on Alpha 2/3 and also use him to kick butt on SFIII, Capcom vs SNK, and SNK vs Capcom.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 4, 2004 @ 02:20 PM

are Iori Yagami's moves pretty much the same in all the KOFs and the vs. games?

How bout Chun Li's? In my experience, Chun Li seems significantly different between SFII, SFIII, the VS series, and the Alpha series.

My goal is to have like 4 characters that I can learn to play well on a couple of games and be able to use them effectively on whatever arcade game I choose.

Example: I can learn to play Ken well on Alpha 2/3 and also use him to kick butt on SFIII, Capcom vs SNK, and SNK vs Capcom.

Iori Yagami is pretty much the same in most KOF games, the same crossups, aoi bana, yamibarai, etc. Though, he was toned down in the Capcom vs SNK games because Capcom is envious.

Chun-Li changes a lot, that is a fact.

And regarding your "goal", it sounds like a pretty lazy goal.

Iori's main moves have pretty much stayed the same for a while. He's mostly gained some stuff over time. Some of the motions are different in CvsS2, though, I believe.

SFIII Chun Li is more similar to her classic SFII style, whereas the Alpha version is like her Super Turbo version. CvsS2 is a mix. She's awesome in SFIII, but only average in CvsS2.

The main things being played in the arcades right now are SFIII:3s, GGXX, CvsS2, and to some extent MvsC2. So you should concentrate on those, probably.

Out of the games Des listed, I'll give some of my favorite chars as well.. but really, you can't take a version of a character from one game and expect to be able to compete really well in another; there are always differences from engine to engine involving timing, properties of attacks, and comboability. Ken and Ryu might play quite similarly in every game they're in, but most other characters don't. Also, you should think about what kind of characters you like playing as - offensive characters? grapplers? characters that use a lot of pokes? characters with good specials, or good normals? charge characters? etc...

Anyway-

KOF '98 (99 DM) - Ralf, Clark, Goro, RB2 Terry, Shermie, Shingo, Takuma, Yuri

KOF 2001 (i'd rather play 2k2, but..) - Vanessa, K9999, Angel, plus most of those mentioned above

Last Blade 2 - Moriya (speed/power), Lee (speed/power), Zansetsu (speed/power), Amano (power)

MOTW - Terry, B. Jenet, Kevin Rian, Gato, Jae Hoon, Tizoc

MvsC2 - Juggernaut, Dr. Doom, Guile, Iron Man, BB Hood (these are some of the funnest characters to play, well, IM and Dr. Doom can be a little cheesy sometimes)

SF3:3S - Dudley!!, Chunners, Ibuki, Makoto, Remy, Alex

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 4, 2004 @ 07:31 PM

And regarding your "goal", it sounds like a pretty lazy goal.[/i]

It's not lazy -- it's a time issue.

I have a full-time job, some side jobs, will be going back to school, and a wife I don't want to ignore.

Believe it or not, video games aren't my top priority (I talk about them way more than I play them, unfortunately)

The point is though, if you just use the same characters all the time, and the same ones everyone else uses, your strategies are going to be predictable. I love Iori, Ken, and Chun-Li as much as anyone, but you can have a lot more fun playing the game if you spend the time on a couple of characters that can be a little bit wacky, and try to maximize their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. Don't try to just be competent at fighting games in general (although that's a good thing); pick one game and a few characters and play them consistently until you have a really good feel for them. Most of the newer games are deep enough that you really have to concentrate on them to figure out how to play and what your options are.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 4, 2004 @ 02:38 PM

The main things being played in the arcades right now are SFIII:3s, GGXX, CvsS2, and to some extent MvsC2. So you should concentrate on those, probably.

You should also add King of Fighters 2003 to the list, especially now that Duolon is kind of... "banned".

Also, you should think about what kind of characters you like playing as - offensive characters? grapplers? characters that use a lot of pokes? characters with good specials, or good normals? charge characters? etc...

I love you it290, you really know about 2D fighting games. It is nice to find someone that plays understanding the system overall, priorities, momentum, and the importance of normals.

You know what they say! ^^

"No normals, no game. KNOW normals, KNOW game!"

SF3:3S - Dudley!!

Even more proof that you must be a great player! Maybe we should meet ^,~

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-it290@Jun 4, 2004 @ 02:38 PM

You should also add King of Fighters 2003 to the list, especially now that Duolon is kind of... "banned".

Also, you should think about what kind of characters you like playing as - offensive characters? grapplers? characters that use a lot of pokes? characters with good specials, or good normals? charge characters? etc...

I love you it290, you really know about 2D fighting games. It is nice to find someone that plays understanding the system overall, priorities, momentum, and the importance of normals.

SF3:3S - Dudley!!

Even more proof that you must be a great player! Maybe we should meet ^,~ [/b][/quote]

well KOF 2003 isn't on the DC, so I can't practice at home.

And the only place I've seen it in the arcades is Monterey at the Boardwalk, which I went to on vacation trip.

How much different is GGX to GGXX? I played XX in Monterey, and fared pretty well. But haven't been able to play it since.

Yeah... I haven't really played 2003 yet, haven't seen it anywhere around here (not surprising). But KOFs are definitely where you find some of the most heated competition. SvC Chaos seems to be getting some play time in the arcades as well.

Yup... a lot of people focus too much on their game plan and get beat down because they don't mix it up with their good normals. Although in some games, the reverse can be true. As for me, I've played a fair number of fighting games, heh, but I'm no expert. It's one thing to talk about it and quite another thing to actually do it.... I have a lot of trouble with long chains and the like, so I usually just stick to bread and butter combos and trying to figure out my opponent's next move. It gets you somewhere, but in competitive play I'd be toast.

Even more proof that you must be a great player! Maybe we should meet ^,~

Heh.. well, Dudley is one of the most stylish characters ever, and he does have some of the best win quotes and taunts as well. Plus he's just damn fun to play. How could you not like him? But yeah, I'd definitely be game for some fighting on Kaillera or something if you're looking for a challenger.

How much different is GGX to GGXX? I played XX in Monterey, and fared pretty well. But haven't been able to play it since.

It's somewhat different; more characters, somewhat different feel to the controls and speed, some bugs fixed, but it's basically the same game at heart. I haven't played it a whole lot myself, so I can't comment too much. I don't know anything about the differences with #Reload, either.

KOF 2003 was by far the busiest machine in Monterey (I need to post my pics of that cool arcade). It was the only one with a crowd around it. I would have played if I didn't fear getting hammered in front of an audience.

I thought Dudly was cool too, but I find that most of the SFIII characters were fun to play. Third Strike is so underrated.

I'm not one for super combo myself. I find that I don't pull off the moves well all the time -- especially under pressure, but focus more on getting good shots in a playing a little defense.

This may sound stupid, but whenever i start a new fighting game I generally tend to go with the Default character, ie the one on which the cursor starts on. However i have taken a liking to Iori and K from king of fighters.

In SFIII I really on either play as Chun-Li or Ryu (I fear change). Chun-Li just has a really good speed and flow to her movement.

Well over the weekend I played a few fighters at home

I used Iori and Terry in both KOF98 and CvS. Iori is pretty neat. Nothing complicated. Seems a bit smother in CvS than KOF98 though. But a good character nonetheless.

I also use Chun Li in SFA3 and SIII:TS I'm still not a big fan of her in the Alpha series -- especially since I usually rock that game with a few characters. But in Third Strike she is wonderful. Partially because the game itself is so great, but she is so fluid and fun to play. I got some techniques down to get some nice combo with her, so I'm really liking her for SFIII/

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

We should test your skills now!

Get Iori Yagami in King of Fighters 98 and perform the following -

crossup bk+B (Lilly Break), sB, f+A, A (Dream Bullet), QCF, QCB+C (Yaotome)

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 7, 2004 @ 04:50 PM

well it's one thing to be able to pull it off in practice and another to pull it off in a real match

That is a simple Iori Yagami combo, actually easy to perform in a real match, crossups are a key factor in advanced King of Fighters playing, and the Lilly Break is the easiest one to perform, in ANY 2D fighting game.

Back