What is your favorite console generation?

racketboy

Established Member
please explain why also

edit: can somebody please fix my stupid spelling and hyphenation mistakes in the poll

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 24, 2004 @ 04:34 PM

edit: can somebody please fix my stupid spelling and hyphenation mistakes in the poll

Is that good? :cheers

For pre-8-bit, do you mean 4-bit (earlier Ataris, SG-1000, Colecovision etc....)?

I like 16-bit games, because of the plethora of beat 'em ups and RPGs, and even stupid game ideas work in 2D (Disney games for example).

EDIT: :ph34r: Holy crap! This is my 666th post. Something bad is going to happen.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 24, 2004 @ 11:44 PM

EDIT: :ph34r: Holy crap! This is my 666th post. Something bad is going to happen.

You'll lose the right to post and create polls ;) :p

yeah thanks for the fix MD :)

Anyway, it's very close between 16 and 32 for me.

I voted 32-bit though because of the excellent 2D games of the time. There are some beautiful RPGs, fighters, and platformers that made their way out.

The only thing that I didn't like about the 32-bit era is that 3D was pushed a bit too much and some developers used it just because they could -- primarily on platformers. But it also opened the door to some more cinimatic possiblities without totally depending on FMV (like some Sega CD titles).

There were some very nice examples of 3D games though during there era like Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, the Panzer Dragoon series, and Metal Gear Solid.

Like I said before, there were also some really good 16-bit games as well, but many games were still a bit immature in graphics and gameplay.

Originally posted by vbt@Jun 24, 2004 @ 04:58 PM

You'll lose the right to post and create polls ;) :p

Good thing I replied to your comment. I think I am okay with 667. :circle

16-bit, especially if you include Neo-Geo. That era was truly the pinnacle of 2d gaming, and the console wars took it to new heights. Just look at games like Sonic, Street Fighter II, Ecco the Dolphin, Crono Trigger, and many others. The 16-bit era was also when developers really tried to push the boundaries of the hardware as much as possible (including 8-bit hardware). 8-bit series were also brought back and pushed to new levels, like with Dracula X on the PCE or Final Fantasy 6 on the SFC. Arcade ports that were close to the real thing also became a real possibility (in the early 16-bit years, anyway).

To this day, I play my 16-bit games far more than any other generation. I play a lot of 8-bit games also, but only those with truly outstanding gameplay. And as for the 32-bit systems, there are a lot of good games, but also a higher ratio of crap.

Some people like it, some don't. It was simply a game that popped into my head as it was very innovative and took the Genesis hardware to new levels (particularly Ecco 2).

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 24, 2004 @ 07:29 PM

I still don't see the big deal about Ecco -- yet another series of games I couldn't get into

Same here. I played that when it came out (I probably would have been really young) but I just didn't get it.

Another thing I like about 16-bit games is that the gameplay is timeless. I didn't vote 32/64-bit mainly because of the Playstation. (even Saturn and Nintendo 64 combined were not enough to sway my vote) You can enjoy a game of Streets of Rage 2 now, ten years from now, or whenever because it's the type of quality gaming you just don't see anymore.

When you play a 3D action or platforming game for example on Playstation, they usually contain all the same elements of current action games, only much less polished with choppy animation, short draw distance, low polygon counts, etc... If I had to choose between Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (PSX) and Tenchu: Return From Darkness on Xbox, I'd pick the Xbox one because they are essentially the same concept only the newer game is more polished, even my beloved Metal Gear Solid I'd rather play on Gamecube as The Twin Snakes. Everyone always says that the RPGs were the best part about Playstation, but I'd have to disagree. Out of all of them that I've played (that includes most of Square's) I could really only recommend Chrono Cross and Suikoden II, and I'll take a Sega or Konami RPG over Square's melodrama crap any day. Playstation had some excellent games from Konami, and to me that's really the only thing worth having one around for.

The current. Why? Because newer generations give more tools for developers to achieve their dreams.

I did not like the 32/64bit generation, it was too shallow and rushed, the CD media gave opportunities to a lot of terrible development teams.

I love the 16bit generation, mostly because of the Neo-Geo. M68k + Z80 = Good ^^

I voted for 16-bit primarily because that era had my favorite console, the Genesis (and Sega CD). I just loved the games.

I would say 16 bit. Most of my fav's are from that era: Chrono Trigger, PS IV, FF VI, Street Fighter, Dracula X. The list could go on and on.

Hmm, the 128-Bit Era had the Dreamcast, but not much else, gamings a bit stale here now...

Ah, I'd say 16-Bit. It was more fun!

I voted for 16bit. Thats what i grew up with. I could play those games for hours on end. I love games today but they just have to many too fast.

I think the 16 bit era is the best as inovation really flowed when competition between the Megadrive and Snes heated up. Games such as Yoshi's island, Mario kart, Sonic 2 and 3 and many other great 16bit titles

Very hard for me to vote.

I love the Saturn, PSX, and N64 absolutely to DEATH! But I voted for 16-bit. I don't really know why. Maybe it's my obsession with the MegaDrive, Mega CD, and 32x (especially 32x). And my Nomad... oh my precious Nomad.... My most prized possesion PERIOD.

*Cradles his Nomad in his arms*

Another thing could be because the greatest RPG saga ever told was during those days (PS - PSIV).

Maybe could be because I grew up during the 16-bit era? Hm...

Back