What PlayStation System Should I Get?

Get a PSone. You can get the LCD screen with it, and you can play it on the road. It also has tons and tons of GREAT games.

Actually go with an older PSX. As I hear the PSone is even more brittle than that of the PSX.

Some may say go with PS2, as you can play PSX games on that as well as the newer games. Go with the PSX/PSone, as it's much cheaper, and much, much better game library. VF is all that PS2 is really good for. Oh, and Sega AGES as well.

Don't wait for $ony's next console. It's said not to be coming out until 2006.

Wait for Nintendo's "Revolution"! :D :thumbs-up:

Thanks. I might go after the used PSX at my local Gamecrazy. My PSX Game Shopping list:
  • Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
  • Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
  • Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
  • Gex
  • Need for Speed
  • Independence Day
  • Warpath: Jurassic Park
  • Wipeout
  • X-COM: UFO Defense

use ePSXe on a pc :)

much better load time and image quality is usually better than even PS2's enhanced mode.

Wipeout = Greatest. Game Soundtrack. Ever!

I wish I didn't have to give that back to my friend months ago. Haven't seen him since December....

Hey link, you think you could rip the audio off the disc for me when you get it?

Other great PSX Games:

RE: Directors Cut (Dual Shock, and the music isn't as creepy... Yes, I'm a wuss...)

Gran Turismo/Gran Turismo II

Driver

Tomb Raider II/Tomb Raider III

WWF Smackdown/WWF Smackdown 2 (SD2 has TERRIBLE load times, but many more features)

WCW Vs The World

Final Fantasy VII/Final Fantasy VIII/Final Fantasy IX

Brave Fencer Musashi

Parasite Eve/Parasite Eve II

Chrono Cross

Wild Arms

Suikoden/Suikoden II

Tales of Destiny

Metal Gear Solid

Cool Boarders 3 (Best snowboarding game ever!)

Syphon Filter/Syphon Filter II/Syphon Filter III

Medal of Honor/Medal of Honor Underground

Fear Effect/Fear Effect: Double Helix

Wipeout/Wipeout XL

Ridge Racer/Ridge Racer Revolution/R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

Twisted Metal/Twisted Metal 2

Colony Wars/Colony Wars: Vengeance/Colony Wars 3 (can't remember it's subtitle)

Crash Bandicoot/Crash Bandicoot 2/Crash Bandicoot WARPED/Crash Team Racing

Spyro The Dragon/Spyro: Ripto's Rage/Spyro: Year of The Dragon

Medieval/Medieval II

Tekken/Tekken 2/Tekken 3

Warhawk

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Oddworld: Abe's Exodus

Jet Moto/Jet Moto 2

Battle Arena Toshinden/Toshinden 2/Toshinden 3

Dynasty Warriors

Soul Blade

Street Fighter EX Plus a

Tobal No. 1

Tobal 2

Ehrgeiz

Ace Combat 2

Codename: Tenka

Disruptor (GREATEST CONSOLE FPS EVER! One of the greatest FPS period!)

Jumping Flash

Jumping Flash 2

Time Crisis

MLB 98/MLB 2000

NFL GameDay/GameDay 97/GameDay 98/GameDay99/GameDay 2000

NHL Faceoff/NFL Faceoff 97/NHL Faceoff 98 (98 is the best hockey game ever!)

NBA Shootout/NBA Shootout 97/NBA Shootout 98/NBA Shootout 2000

NCAA GameBreaker/NCAA GameBreaker 98

NCAA Final Four 2000

NFL Xtreme

Triple Play 98

I counted only exclusive titles. If I counted multi-platform titles, the list would be A LOT longer. I'm sure I'm missing many other great games. What can I say, I love the PSX!

Originally posted by link343@Jun 25, 2004 @ 09:10 PM

• Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
  • Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
  • Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
  • Gex
  • Need for Speed
  • Independence Day
  • Warpath: Jurassic Park
  • Wipeout
  • X-COM: UFO Defense
What games on my list are rare or does anyone have a list of rare PSX games?

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 25, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

use ePSXe on a pc :)

much better load time and image quality is usually better than even PS2's enhanced mode.

Great joke! Idiot.

Get a PlayStation2/PSX.

You can already play PlayStation games on PlayStation2/PSX.

Yes that is a plus. However, why pay $150 for a console that doesn't have many must-have games, when you can pay $30/$40 for a used PSX/PSone or $50 for a new PSone, a console that has a MUCH better game library, than it's younger brother.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 26, 2004 @ 04:58 AM

Great joke! Idiot.

Get a PlayStation2/PSX.

You can already play PlayStation games on PlayStation2/PSX.

:blah :blah :blah

ePSXe:

load times are almost non-existant

no disc swapping if reading from hard drive

unlimited saving possibilities

can get beautiful images with the proper plugins

I won't touch Sony hardware --- you know that -- lay off me

And I know for a fact you can't resist arguing with me since you are Sony-fangirl-deluxe and you're always right :rolleyes:

and watch your mouth, Des <_<

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 26, 2004 @ 12:35 AM

:blah :blah :blah

ePSXe:

load times are almost non-existant

no disc swapping if reading from hard drive

unlimited saving possibilities

can get beautiful images with the proper plugins

I won't touch Sony hardware --- you know that -- lay off me

And I know for a fact you can't resist arguing with me since you are Sony-fangirl-deluxe and you're always right :rolleyes:

and watch your mouth, Des <_<

Emulation is something horrible, even if you are playing legal games. Definatley not the same experience. PC fanboy.

I know I am always right, no need to state it again. I may be a Sony fangirl, but hating Sony is so... trendy nowadays... :rolleyes:

Watch my mouth? What are you going to do, hit me? Ahahaha~

I don't know, as I stated in the emulation thread, I usally prefer the real thing, but emulation does have its good points. Playing Einhander in 1280x1024 with antialiasing is just awesome.

here we go again...

where to start...

since we've been down this road before, lemme clear up a few thing.

I'm far from a PC fanboy (I have only a Matrox G400, for crying out loud). But I do not like having a crapload of consoles all over the place cluttering my gaming area. Emulation simplfies. I'm not a purist, so as long as the gaming is good, who gives a flying flip. That's what it's all about anyway isn't it?

My goals in a gaming environment are simiplicty, efficient use of resources, and having fun.

The subject is a personal preference, so I don't know why you always get your shorts in such a bunch over it.

I don't hate Sony -- but I don't buy unreliable hardware from anybody. I don't care if it's even Sega. I didn't buy a Gamegear because the battery life sucks.

Obviously for some reason, you don't like me Des. Apparently its because you have different opinions than I. But I don't like how you handle them. All I did was present an idea, and you have to put it down. And some of your remarks make you look quite childish.

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Jun 25, 2004 @ 07:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Jun 25, 2004 @ 07:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Emulation is something horrible, even if you are playing legal games. Definatley not the same experience. PC fanboy.

[/b]

You use fanboyism as an insult but admit to being the same way, only for a different product... whats the word again? Ah yes, hypocrite <_<

All he did was let the option be known, not enough reason in my books to call him an idiot... especially by someone who was offended by a ':huh'

Originally posted by Des-ROW+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know I am always right, no need to state it again. I may be a Sony fangirl, but hating Sony is so... trendy nowadays...  :rolleyes:

[/b]

Sorry to trample on your underdog sentiment, but what is the company that has sold the most consoles recently? Wouldn't that mean its trendy to own a playstation? And as for always being right...well... it always amuses me how females think this way :p

But to be helpful, heres a nicely crafted response that would've gotten your points across without being pompous and demeaning:

<!--QuoteBegin-eloquent response
@

While emulating playstation on pc is a viable alternative, I do not feel it can deliver the same experience, yadda yadda yadda. I suggest buying a Ps2 or PSX and heres why......[/quote]

Heres an example of a ineloquent response:

<!--QuoteBegin-inequolent

You can already play PlayStation games on PlayStation2/PSX.[/i][/quote]

What? :eek: Since when? :rolleyes:

thank you, Captain Obvious! :sarcasm:

I think I'll take higher resolutions, faster load times, and hardware that doesn't break down once the warranty expires :lol:

[/b][/quote]

---Ammut

edit:racket beat me to it...

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 26, 2004 @ 02:19 AM

here we go again...

where to start...

since we've been down this road before, lemme clear up a few thing.

I'm far from a PC fanboy (I have only a Matrox G400, for crying out loud). But I do not like having a crapload of consoles all over the place cluttering my gaming area. Emulation simplfies. I'm not a purist, so as long as the gaming is good, who gives a flying flip. That's what it's all about anyway isn't it?

My goals in a gaming environment are simiplicty, efficient use of resources, and having fun.

The subject is a personal preference, so I don't know why you always get your shorts in such a bunch over it.

I don't hate Sony -- but I don't buy unreliable hardware from anybody. I don't care if it's even Sega. I didn't buy a Gamegear because the battery life sucks.

Obviously for some reason, you don't like me Des. Apparently its because you have different opinions than I. But I don't like how you handle them. All I did was present an idea, and you have to put it down. And some of your remarks make you look quite childish.

Ok.

You use fanboyism as an insult but admit to being the same way, only for a different product... whats the word again? Ah yes, hypocrite <_<

You make me laugh, hypocrite.

All he did was let the option be known, not enough reason in my books to call him an idiot... especially by someone who was offended by a ':huh'

I do not] care about "your books" or what you think about me, you should stop being a hypocrite and stop using emoticons to replace insults, or whatever you feel.

Sorry to trample on your underdog sentiment, but what is the company that has sold the most consoles recently? Wouldn't that mean its trendy to own a playstation? And as for always being right...well... it always amuses me how females think this way :p

First, "trendy" in the "internet-geek" world. Hating what the masses love is SO cool.

Second, talk about discrimination...

Regarding the PlayStation2/PSX durability, if you want to brake it by installing modchips, that is your problem. Get a Japanese model, they do not malfunction. And, it is more than obvious that you have not even touched at a PSX.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 26, 2004 @ 01:47 AM

Watch my mouth? What are you going to do, hit me? Ahahaha~

WHAAAAAACK!

I have to say I agree with you about emulation, but don't disrespect the mods/admins; no matter how much you disagree with them. If you like name calling and throwing around words like 'fanboy' use this forum.

I wouldn't install a modchip in a PS2 -- I've heard things go even more downhill afterthat. By I was mostly refering to the optical drive's reliability.

Back