What should I get?

lordofduct

Established Member
For Xmas I received an American Express Prepaid Credit Card. My father was gonna get me an LCD monitor I was raving about from newegg, but he didn't know which one I wanted nor did he know what the hell newegg was.

Now that I got the card and the monitor I wanted is sold out I was debating... Should I get an equal in quality monitor or a GP2x? (gpx2 for those who didn't like the name change)

don't know what a gp2x is then go to their webpage and read about it!

yeah it's the big brother to the GP32.

Or should I get a receiver for my home theatre surround system... there is this really nice one at Sound Advice that is supposed to be 650, but they are selling it for 350 (its the floor model duh). I don't know a lot about home theatre equipment brands and who is who on the level of quality... but my cousin who is an insane audiophile (his sound system is absurd; let me just say the cable going to his 2 main speakers cost 200 dollars each. he is planning on upgrading it soon to these 350 dollar cables, that is after he buys a floor model amp for 900 which usually retails at 2K. The thing weighs 85lbs! ugh!)

[edit]Crap... I forgot to put the Receiver in the list! grrrrrr

Originally posted by ptr.exe@Tue, 2005-12-27 @ 02:51 PM

You could just wait until they have it back in stock, considering that's what you wanted most to begin with.

[post=142904]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with this comment, or just the LCD monitor in general, my experience with gadgets is just that.. .they are gadgets, fun for a while then they just take up space and become outdated.

I won't buy a PSP. I am stuck on that. Refuse too.

Anyways, my girlfriend, cousin and buddy came up with some good points.

A)I prefer CRT over LCD and own enough computer monitors already.

B)I don't game as much as I used too and a handheld including the PSP would just be a novelty.

C)They can get use out of the receiver because they love watching movies with me on my big screen HDTV.

So it's the DTS Receiver for me!

Well I bought the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX

Here is a little thing about it

That link says it was released at 1000 dollars (now sells for about 7 or 8 hundred). It goes on about how its a mid range receiver and I love this quote...

"At $1,000, it's obviously not going to blow you out of the room with an endless soundstage and dynamics that won't quit, but it will fill any regular-sized room with a warm, easy-going sound that can shake the walls when it has to."

Christ I hate the price of Receivers. 1000 dollars should blow my fucking feet off and my cock as well! But nooooo, it's mid range. Atleast it has DTS decoding and THX-select certified.

Don't let the "mid range" crap fool you. I recently read an article about home theater systems that stated that most home theater systems, if set up properly and with good speakers, it matches or beats most real theaters.

Pioneer makes some damn good stuff, even with their non-thx certified and non-elite series. The only difference between the one you have and a $4000 receiver is most likely something minor, like 10-20 watts more per channel, thx ultra select 2, ilink compatibility, hmdi inputs, etc.

With the right speaker setup and an awesome subwoofer, you'll be very happy with it. Put in a dvd or laserdisc of daylight or terminator 2, or even check out the really long crash scene in final destination 2, around 5 minutes into the movie, and crank the volume up.

These so-called audiophiles are critics. Every thing has to be bigger, better, and clearer than previous. Let them have their harmon karmons and pay 5x the price per watt.

I'm probably going to upgrade my system yet again, in about 2 months, to something with thx ultra select 2, about 10-20 more watts per channel, and video upconversion. It will be another pioneer too. Only problem is that I'll have like 3 extra surround receivers not getting any use lol. Guess I'll have to setup another system, with smaller speakers for another room eventually.

I know what you mean... my cousin is exactly like that.

The good thing is I only paid 350 for the unit as it was a floor unit (so it was used a little by the store and doesn't have a box... 800 dollar receiver for 350? HELLS YEAH!)

I am very happy with my purchase. I used to have an old 78' stereo receiver/tuner that was falling apart hooked to crap ass speakers from the mid 80's. I haven't purchased new speakers yet so those same floor speakers are hooked up to this Pioneer.

They sound 100X better then they did before. I can't wait to hear what nice speakers in surround will sound like (and that was only cable television I tested it on... i didn't have the time to hook anything else up.)

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Thu, 2005-12-29 @ 10:57 AM

Or a Lynx or a Nomad.

[post=143010]Quoted post[/post]​

you can play lynx games on the PSP, along with SNES, Genesis and a plethora of other systems, plus you have a large wealth of commercial games to choose from (KATAMARI HELLO, Metal Gear ACID)

Back