What's the best free VCD player for PC?

Myname

Established Member

It's all in the question really
smile.gif
. Got hold of a couple of VCDs, never used them before so I'm clueless. The stuff I've downloaded and tried have had problems (running in tiny windows for example).. All I need is for it to be XP compatable and full screen.

Thanks in advance for any help
smile.gif

If it's just a "plain" VCD (one track, no multilingual audio or anything) you can just open the disc in Explorer and drag'n'drop the video file onto Media Player. CyberLink's PowerDVD comes free with lots of hardware and plays VCDs. Sasami is a free media player with lots of features, it should also support VCDs.

I actually tried it with Power DVD which I already had and it didn't work, but for some reason it's decided to now ???

Thanks anyway
smile.gif

If you browse the disc for the .dat files you can open them in Windows Media Player.

You guys SURE? My WMP never recognized .dat files even though they're essentially just VCD-compliant MPEG-1 files.

I had a VCD disc and had to run its .dat files through TMPEGENC to make them into "real" .mpg files that WMP would play.

Maybe it depends on how they are encoded or something?

I've got Lord of the Rings and the full Ulysses 31 series and the .dat files work in WMP, they're the only ones I tried though.

I'm not very knowledgable on video encoding.
sad.gif

Xing Mpeg Player. It works wonderfully, I've played several multi track VCDs and it runs them fine, full screen and otherwise. Seeking is excellent, too.

Originally posted by segasonic@Feb. 05 2003, 12:38 am

I've got Lord of the Rings and the full Ulysses 31 series and the .dat files work in WMP, they're the only ones I tried though.

Wow! I've been meaning to get a set of those Ulysses 31 VCDs you always see on ebay, never got round to it. I'm a little wary though, because I remember it as being amazing and I wouldn't like to watch it now and be disappointed.. I think the room with the sleeping crew is ingrained on my psyche from watching it years ago, it seemed like pretty powerful imagery for a kid
smile.gif

On the rare occaision that I watch a VCD, I use Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Player will play the .dat files, if you open WMP and drag the files on it.

At least version 6.4 did it. I'm not sure if the obnoxious pile of digital horse shit they call Windows Media Player 7, that happens to be IE covered with ActiveX stuff, can play them.

Same for that bastard WMP9. I downloaded it, and 5 minutes later removed it from my PC with anger. I can´t remember exactly why I uninstalled it so quickly... but I might have had good reasons.

But, of course, if your VCD happen to be a SVCD, you're in trouble. SVCD is actually MPEG2, or, DVD video in lower bitrate pressed on normal CDs. WMP won't play it for good, so you'll need a DVD player software to do so (and I don't recall *any* free DVD software).

Back