Where to buy a DC mod chip?

The best I can find for DC mod chips is a 4 wire one for $30 and $10 shipping. Thats insanity. Can anyone provide any links to where they got theirs?

Pretty soon I will have the UK versions of Shenmue 1 and 2 and HeadHunter. I got a friend there who just bought them from a used game store for about $10 a piece. He showed me pics and everything. There's hardly a scratch on those discs, and they come with everything, so I am seriously excited.

Problem is I can't use a boot disc, because my DC is on a VGA Monitor. I've tried a few boot discs and none of them work on VGA, even when I patch the iso of the boot disc to run in VGA. So a mod chip is required. Please help!

I've tried a few boot discs and none of them work on VGA, even when I patch the iso of the boot disc to run in VGA. So a mod chip is required.

Just patching the ISO will not make a boot disc actually support a VGA monitor, but it should run anyway even if there's no picture.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2005-01-10 @ 12:17 AM

Just patching the ISO will not make a boot disc actually support a VGA monitor, but it should run anyway even if there's no picture.

[post=127456]Quoted post[/post]​

No it doesnt. When a boot disc doesnt support vga, the games you boot using it never will, no matter what. They all play in interlaced.

No it doesnt. When a boot disc doesnt support vga, the games you boot using it never will, no matter what. They all play in interlaced.

That doesn't make any sense, and I've heard of people successfully using boot discs with patched headers. Something about your setup is probably incorrect. You're not leaving the VGA box/cable unplugged while booting the game, are you?

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2005-01-10 @ 10:05 AM

That doesn't make any sense, and I've heard of people successfully using boot discs with patched headers. Something about your setup is probably incorrect. You're not leaving the VGA box/cable unplugged while booting the game, are you?

[post=127487]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not a moron. Thank you.

I only asked because I've known people to actually do that, and there are cable swap tricks that are commonly repeated but in reality only work on a handful of games.

FWIW, I was never able to get Utopia to work w/VGA either, even with the patched version. Some of the other import enablers/cheat devices might work, though.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-01-10 @ 02:46 PM

FWIW, I was never able to get Utopia to work w/VGA either, even with the patched version. Some of the other import enablers/cheat devices might work, though.

[post=127519]Quoted post[/post]​

Well like I said, I use a variety of boot discs, Utopia, Action Replay, DC Hakker or something, DC-X I believe it was called...but I think that one was a bad copy. Thats a commercial boot disc I believe. Anyways, the only "boot disc" that even shows up on VGA is this GameShark Lite disc I downloaded. Now whether or not it will actually boot an import, WITH VGA, remains to be seen. I'm just sick of wasting blank cd-r's for nothing.

But with all this trouble, a $10 4 wire chip seems like the smart choice. But that chip does have one wire I dont know if I could do. I dont think my iron is sharp enough for that deathly small pin.

I ordered a 6 wire PSone chip today also. Figured it's about time I chip that sucker. Been using a PS-X-Change boot disc for years and it's mighty banged up now. System struggle to read it sometimes.

Um, is there anyplace besides Lik-Sang that sells DC mod chips? I'm reading some nightmarish reviews of this place. I don't want to throw my money away.

Originally posted by racketboy@Wed, 2005-01-12 @ 12:19 PM

I think Lik-Sang is ok.

But I'm not especially thrilled with them

[post=127684]Quoted post[/post]​

Hah thats funny. I was thinking of ordering that Sonic Adventure 2 pack as well. Only $10 for the same game that is over $30 in USA, and its entirely english. But still, I just read too many bad things about that place. I cant risk it now.

Back