Winamp plays backwards

Gallstaff

Established Member
On certain songs, when I try to play them on winamp it starts to play backwards after a certain amount of time. This is most odd. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this and how I can fix it?

man, you're having all sort of problems aren't you?

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling winamp?

Is it in the same place on the same songs?

Yeah mostly. You think this has to do with kazaa and encrypting songs and whatnot. I heard that they're doing that (and by they I have no idea who).

does the song SOUND like its playing backwards or is the progress bar actually going backwards?

Did you try playing it in Media Player

You need to figure out if it's the songs themselves or the player

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 2, 2003 @ 09:39 PM

...ic what version you running? And maybe you should re-install it (and stop using version 3 if you are lol).

yes, please don't use 3 -- I try to forget it exists

This is weird. Not just on my computer, but when i try to put the songs that play bakcwards on winamp onto my ipod, they also play backwards.

What's up.

I'm not really familiar with the structure of mp3's but if they have some kind of index in them it could be hosed. I'd suggest re-encoding them or something.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 3, 2003 @ 08:44 PM

I'm not really familiar with the structure of mp3's but if they have some kind of index in them it could be hosed. I'd suggest re-encoding them or something.

I think he mentioned DL'ing them off Kazaa

If it's a mp3 file, and plays in winamp, it can be re-encoded. Source of it shouldn't matter. Ideally you'd want to rip it off the cd yourself, however I'm assuming you pirated this song or something. In any case, since you can't rerip the sond, you're going to have to re-encode it.

Perhaps the file you downloaded was a spoofed file... These files seem to be appearming more and more on kazza.. Iv read that it is quite possibly an atempt by the record companies to discourage people from using file sharing. Apparantly they set up alot of high speed computers and alot of kazza accounts then share the corrupted files. My problem was I kept getting alot of popping and hissing about 20 seconds into the song. I figured something was messed up with kazza /winamp..

Here is the actual article i read.. unfortunalty i dont remember where I got it from..

"Update on the piracy wars Snap, crackle, hiss. The ongoing battle over copyrighted works has taken yet another innovative turn. The Washington Post reports that, with growing frequency, "spoof" files are turning up on popular sites (such as Kazaa) where music fans illegally trade songs online. Spoofs are repetitive loops or snippets filled with crackle and hissing sounds. Thousands are now downloaded every day by unsuspecting music sharers. Record labels have been hesitant to openly address spoofing, but the trade group that represents them, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), has called it an acceptable manner with which to fight piracy. New file-sharing entities are proliferating, and two billion songs are traded monthly, according to the Association. The labels are also backing a bill that is now being considered by the U.S. Congress that would make it legal to "impair the operation of peer-to-peer" networks. Spoofing is but one tactic that would fall under the auspices of the bill. "We're looking for a way to stop gross infringers, and there are measures that we can take to prevent people from making 100 copies or uploading CDs for millions to take," said Hillary Rosen, chairwoman of the RIAA."

I dont get the big deal. If it's not kaaa people will find another way. And even then, I"m not going to go out and buy their cd unless i preview it first that'st he only reason I ever use file sharing.

then why don't you try another way?

I'm a former Kazaa user, but I'm using the combination of Direct Connect and BitTorrent for all my filesharing needs. Plus they're both open source

So far i have found it to be more of a nusisance.. If you look hard enough you can find the song that was ripped by an actual person..

Look for files that don't have alot of users.. and look for the files with different file sizes.

I cant verify how will this method works as I have only really tried it to get 2 songs so far.

Back