Windows won't recognize anything...

After Windows XP Home no longer booted up I reformatted my drive and did a clean install of XP Pro. Once the installation finished everything booted up fine (yay) but for some reason windows does not recognize any of my adaptors. I tried connecting to the internet to no avail, it won't play any sound (no sound card is detected) and even my graphics card isn't there according to windows.

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated, preferably before I throw my computer out the window :ph34r:

---Ammut

actually I like XP.

Go into the Control Panel/Device Manager and see if there are any devices that need drivers.

Then we can start narrowing down problems

I don't like everything about XP, its TOO automated. If something does go wrong, it is much easier to fix it in 9x systems. Anyway, you need to install drivers for your hardware if XP didn't do it for you.

really? once you turn off all the dumbed down interface, I love XP

What I don't like about Windows in general and XP especially is that "wipe the drive and do a fresh install" is considered to be a perfectly acceptable solution to issues that would be minor if there were a real service mode (profile/registry corruption for example can completely break safe mode, and the recovery console is too restricted to be useful). And the Repair Install generally results in a broken system once you've applied service packs.

isn't that the case with ANY version of Windows?

A fresh install is usually the best fix for super irritating problems.

Originally posted by Ammut@Jun 2, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated, preferably before I throw my computer out the window :ph34r:

---Ammut

Get SuSE 9.1 Professional ^.^

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ammut@Jun 2, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

---Ammut

Get SuSE 9.1 Professional ^.^ [/b][/quote]

**cough** software support **cough**

Originally posted by racketboy+Jun 4, 2004 @ 01:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 01:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:13 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Ammut
@Jun 2, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

---Ammut

**cough** software support **cough** [/b][/quote]

*cough* things work like they should *cough*

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 4, 2004 @ 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 4, 2004 @ 06:13 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Ammut
@Jun 2, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

---Ammut

**cough** software support **cough**

*cough* things work like they should *cough* [/b][/quote]

**cough** only the things that I can work on work but not anything else **cough**

**cough** everything works fine on my WinXP **cough**

must have something in my throat...

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jun 3, 2004 @ 10:33 PM

*cough* things work like they should *cough*

Software support is good, great even, and the documentation is miles better than any software out there, period (windows included). That is, if you bought the CDs.

HOWEVER, Des, I'm using 9.1 Pro and can't say that it always works like it should. In fact, there are a couple of really irritating bugs in SuSE; most notably today I found that the wireless network management is woefully lacking. And SuSE / XFree still doesn't recognize my video card, even though there've been patches out for a year and a half now (and now I must recompile my kernel for 3D support). My other machine, modprobe, for certain devices, halts the system EVEN @ runtime=3 (commandline only).

Though SuSE is great. Can't wait for XD3 (or XD2 w/ Gnome 2.4/2.6, whatever they go about doing). But, you have to be kidding when you compare any Linux to Windows for hardware support. :huh

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jun 4, 2004 @ 01:57 PM

And SuSE / XFree still doesn't recognize my video card, even though there've been patches out for a year and a half now (and now I must recompile my kernel for 3D support).

What GPU do you have?

Though SuSE is great. Can't wait for XD3 (or XD2 w/ Gnome 2.4/2.6, whatever they go about doing). But, you have to be kidding when you compare any Linux to Windows for hardware support. :huh

Obviously, I was never comparing it, that is why I was just quoting a small part of what Ammut originally stated.

Oh, and this is extremely insulting.

What Ammut needs to do is try to download and install the needed drivers.

I don't claim to love Windows, and I've dealt with lots of really Fd up Windows boxes. However, I still use WinME, problem free. My install is around 2 years old. I very rarely resort to reinstalling an OS... I've even transferred Windows installs to completely different machines. Honestly, the least stable programs on my computer are Internet Explorer (which I could replace if I cared), and Steam (which you're stuck with if you run HL-based games).

OH! Don't try to vacuum out your computer either. Static electricity is the EnEmY! My friend's dad did this recently. Had to replace his GPU and mainboard, which thankfully is dirt cheap to do for a non-gaming socket A rig. I told him he shouldn't do anything with the innards unless it was coated in dust, and even then he needed compressed air. Not a vacuum cleaner.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jun 4, 2004 @ 07:24 PM

I don't claim to love Windows, and I've dealt with lots of really Fd up Windows boxes. However, I still use WinME, problem free.

That's an accomplishment in itself :D

Anyway, I've dealt with many a messed up Windows box but it's usually people's PCs that don't know what they are doing. They install lots of free software that does crazy/messy things to the OS and it just makes a mess. Not the OS's fault. Linux would have the same problem if it was the most popular OS.

The Win9X core isn't the greatest, so I usually try to get all the people I deal with to migrate to a NT core. Then I try to educate them a bit on what type of software they should stay away from. I make OS customizations for them so they don't have to mess with it themselves. After that, things are usually pretty rock solid.

Originally posted by racketboy+Jun 4, 2004 @ 07:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 07:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@Jun 4, 2004 @ 07:24 PM

I don't claim to love Windows, and I've dealt with lots of really Fd up Windows boxes. However, I still use WinME, problem free.

That's an accomplishment in itself :D [/b][/quote]

So I'm told, but I just keep it more or less clean and it keeps working. So yeah, I'm going to migrate to an NT core - when I have to.

you should be proud :D

I just installed XP on an unhappy ME-user's machine last week

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Jun 4, 2004 @ 08:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Des-ROW@Jun 3, 2004 @ 11:04 PM

Oh, and this is extremely insulting.

Zuh? :blink: [/b][/quote]

:huh :huh :huh

Back