Wireless Routing Speed Questions

Jaded God

Established Member
So my dad just bought a LINKYSYS Wireless-G 2.4 GHz 802.11g router because he wants to share the cable hookup from my comp to his notepad.

So basically my computer is upstairs directly hooked up from my modem to the wall right now... But it will now be going through the router which will be on top of my comp tower and then I will install my dad's wireless card so he can use his laptop in the house.

Do you think this will slow my connection? Or only when he is using the internet on his laptop the same time I am?

You shouldn't see anything to noticable. I have as many as 4 running on my network, 2 of which are wireless. Only time I have slow down, is when two many bandwidth intensive aps are running at once. Normal browsing or gaming and browsing works great.

Schi is right, shouldn't phase you...

802.11g is alleged to run at 54Mbit (realistically it's about 36Mbit). That won't bottleneck your bandwidth, a typical Cable connection runs about 3 Megabit (384 Kilobyte) under ISP throttle, so just as schi said, you'll only feel it if BOTH users are using heavy bandwidth (but even on an all wired network you'd have the same problem)... coincidentally, under equal loads you'd have a higher effective transfer (you naturally get much more packet loss wirelessly than hardwire).

~Krelian

Back