Wolfenstein 3D Mod - Unsung

vbt

Staff member
Could it run on Saturn ? I've just seen it will be ported on Dreamcast soon.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o2hXk2CKWfY[/media]

Yeah, that would run easily on the Saturn... I ported Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny to the 32X, and this is just a TC for Wolf3D. He uses Wolf4SDL as the engine... looks like there's been some updates since the 1.4 version that was ported to the PSP, which is what I worked from. I'll have to update to the latest.

I might use this as a test for building homebrew on the Saturn.

Chilly Willy said:
Yeah, that would run easily on the Saturn... I ported Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny to the 32X, and this is just a TC for Wolf3D. He uses Wolf4SDL as the engine... looks like there's been some updates since the 1.4 version that was ported to the PSP, which is what I worked from. I'll have to update to the latest.

I might use this as a test for building homebrew on the Saturn.

In fact there is alaready a port of Wolf4SDL but like you I don't know if this Mod has higher requirements. Keep me informed if you update your 32x port to the latest version.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 109
vbt said:
In fact there is alaready a port of Wolf4SDL but like you I don't know if this Mod has higher requirements. Keep me informed if you update your 32x port to the latest version.

Sure thing. The mod looks like it uses the latest 1.7 Wolf4SDL, so if the Saturn version is older than that, it probably needs to be updated.

The update on the 32X version has been slow in coming main because I've been looking into how to get it to run from CD instead of cart. That's perhaps the most requested change as more people with 32Xs have the CD than have flash carts.

Chilly Willy said:
Sure thing. The mod looks like it uses the latest 1.7 Wolf4SDL, so if the Saturn version is older than that, it probably needs to be updated.

yes it has to be updated, it's either 1.4 or 1.6

also, i think it's not as good as your port,, mine has to be optimised for the rendering part, it was mainly done to port sdl functions.

The update on the 32X version has been slow in coming main because I've been looking into how to get it to run from CD instead of cart. That's perhaps the most requested change as more people with 32Xs have the CD than have flash carts.

That would be a great feature.

vbt said:
yes it has to be updated, it's either 1.4 or 1.6

also, i think it's not as good as your port,, mine has to be optimised for the rendering part, it was mainly done to port sdl functions.

That would be a great feature.

I found a post on your conversion in the C4 2008 thread, but it looks like that contest never completed.

I was looking at the current wolf4sdl code, and it has a lot of goodies in it compared to what the PSP port (which is what I worked from for the 32X) - floors and ceilings (per sector setting), sky boxes, stars, clouds, rain/snow, shading based on distance... it would really make the Saturn version better. The additions don't look like they'll be any trouble to handle, although clouds and rain/snow on the 32X might slow things enough to require running that in "low res" (160x112).

Did you ever get sound going in your port? What were you looking at for music? My tests on ogg-vorbis on the 32X seem to be going well - I can play 11kHz stereo or 22kHz mono off one SH2 at full speed on the 32X (posted a test binary over at Sega-16). Ogg-vorbis is surprisingly good at 24 to 32 kbps... much better than ADPCM at the same rates (that's about 1 to 1.5 bits per sample).

Unsung was made using v1.6 of Wolf4SDL. Their are't many major engine changes from what stock v1.6 already has coded in.

If either of you want to seriously try and port it, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Nembo said:
Unsung was made using v1.6 of Wolf4SDL. Their are't many major engine changes from what stock v1.6 already has coded in.

If either of you want to seriously try and port it, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

That would be nice, thanks. I will be working on a Saturn port of v1.7, but I'm not sure when I'll get the time exactly, so perhaps you might wait until the port is posted (here) and then it'll be time for that help.
smile.gif

Chilly Willy said:
I found a post on your conversion in the C4 2008 thread, but it looks like that contest never completed.

yes, unfortunatly, we all wait for Rockin'-B returns

Did you ever get sound going in your port? What were you looking at for music? My tests on ogg-vorbis on the 32X seem to be going well - I can play 11kHz stereo or 22kHz mono off one SH2 at full speed on the 32X (posted a test binary over at Sega-16). Ogg-vorbis is surprisingly good at 24 to 32 kbps... much better than ADPCM at the same rates (that's about 1 to 1.5 bits per sample).

There is sound on my port, I use CDDA & PCM, it was taken from iphone version or something like that.

Nembo said:

Nice, good to see you found my post, if you got the source (i didn't find them). I may update my Saturn port with it. That would ke this mod on PC, DC & SS.

Chilly Willy said:
That would be nice, thanks. I will be working on a Saturn port of v1.7, but I'm not sure when I'll get the time exactly, so perhaps you might wait until the port is posted (here) and then it'll be time for that help.
smile.gif

Good luck with your port Chilly Willy, I can help if needed.

vbt said:
There is sound on my port, I use CDDA & PCM, it was taken from iphone version or something like that.

Sounds like a good compromise.

Good luck with your port Chilly Willy, I can help if needed.

A few general questions on your port... Did you use the ram cart on yours? Did you run into memory issues? That was a big one on the 32X port - I used decompressed sprites/walls on the cart as there was too little ram to try to decompress into on the fly. If I require folks to use a ram cart like the ARP, that would deal with most of the ram issues. Given how cheap the ARP is these days, I don't see that as a burden on folks. I certainly plan to require it for my Saturn Doom port.

Back