Would you spend $1.5M on a flying car?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Article

How would you like to own a flying car that reaches 365MPH and gets 20MPG for a measly $1.5M.

If this ever goes into heavy production it could be an affordable $50k. You think drivers are incompetent now. Just think of how many accidents these things will cause. :smokin:

Originally posted by mal@May 16, 2004 @ 02:13 PM

If they ever become commonplace, I'm going to start living underground. :eek:

I've always wanted to do that anyway. Must be the dwarf in my blood. :)

I´m sure like comercial airplanes they would had to follow pre stated routes otherwise you would see them smash into each other in mid-air.

There are countless rules and regulations for cars and trucks too, but it doesn't stop them from crashing.

True but the air is monitored constantly by air traffic and any blip they don't recognize will get a couple F-16 up it's ass...especially in the US where paranoia is the law.

Sure, that's how it is now, but how will it be with a few hundred thousand (if not more*) of these things buzzing around?

*hence my earlier comment about them becoming commonplace

Thing is though that right now to even get to fly something you have to pass something like 5 different 4 hour tests, have several training flights and be able to actually pass all this stuff. It's not like getting a drivers license which is relatively simple and fast. I doubt the FAA (for the US) would simply allow any joe redneck to get a flight license just to fly one of these things. They would be clasified as airplanes and as such you would need to pass all the strict testing to get your license. Flying without a license or without a trainer has a minimum 1 year jail sentance (more if you're plane is jet powered).

Back