WTB an older CPU

I actually had a CPU fail on me the other night (A first for me). Anyways.. I'm now running on an old 433MHz Celeron (Yeah.. go ahead and laugh). I DESPARATELY need a socket 370 of some kind (Coppermine I think.. no Tualatins). Ideally.. I'd like an 800MHZ PIII 133FSB socket370 (called the 800EB model) because it would fit in two mobos I have; but I CAN use up to a 1.13 MHZ 133 FSB (or 100 FSB) in my newer mobo (An Abit BX-133 RAID) provided it's not a FCPGA-2 variety (Tualatin). If any of you guys have ANYTHING falling into this category laying around please let me know ASAP. I'll pay for it.. thanks.

Thanks for the offer racketboy.. but I need to buy something a little more powerful than what I'm already using. I dont think PII's came in socket 370 anyway did they? I though the last format to carry over from PII's to PIII's was slot 1.

I wasn't sure if it was the same socket -- I can't keep them all straight.

The P2 would give a slight performance boost since you only have a celeron.

I've shopped around (when I bought the 450) and the price starts climbing after 450. That's why I went with it.

I bought it as a 2nd CPU for a dualie I have, but never got around to installing it.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jan 23, 2004 @ 07:35 AM

Not if it won't fit.

Originally posted by mal+Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Jan 23, 2004 @ 07:35 AM

Not if it won't fit. [/b][/quote]

I realize that, Mal

I'm not an expert on Celeron sockets -- sorry

Here's a 733Mhz 133 FSB PIII for 51+ship.

There's a Celeron 1Ghz for like $36 including shipping here. The downside is that it only uses a 100Mhz FSB. It says FCPGA, and they seem smart enough to seperate that from FCPGA2 since their 1.1+ Ghz Celerons are listed as FCPGA2. So I think that is a good deal, just make sure you don't bake this CPU too LOL!

Haha, i just got a computer in my hands that has a faulty motherboard however It has a 667 Pentium 3 Processor in it. Not sure the socket or anything, however if ur interested let me know. Thanks

Aaawww cr*p! Apparently.. it's NOT the CPU (and I already tossed away my 1.1 GHz CPU last week.. wouldn't you know it?). I've changed out everything (CPU;PSU;HD;etc.) even re-installed the OS. The only thing I haven't is the RAM and mobo. The damn thing just re-boots spontaneously. It follows no set pattern or frequency. It can stay up and running for 5 seconds or 5 hours. Not a power or heat issue either. Anybody got any ideas? I know.. this belongs in another forum now.

could be ram....kidna weird though. seems liek more of a power issue.

Seen faulty ram do weird things to computers though.

Just so you know, I used to have the same setup but with the 800MHz processor you're looking for, with the SAME EXACT problem. No matter what I changed, the only way for me to get rid of it was when I replaced the Mobo, CPU, Ram, and Power Supply, and voila, it worked! I believe it was the Ram and Mobo both actually, but I had to change the others to switch to my Athlon XP+ :huh:

You can always test the RAM in another rig or something, but if its the board, all you can do is replace that janx. Sucks hardcore that you threw away your CPU, man! This is why I'm a pack rat. Of course, that doesn't excuse the dirty laundry or the soda cans, but whatever.

It's quite possible that the RAM is incompatible with the motherboard or that the timing on it is wrong. Try the one stick thing that racket suggested, also try setting the most conservative timing settings in the BIOS. You should also run memtest86 and see if it turns anything up. Faulty/incompatible RAM is definitely the most common cause of spontaneous reboots.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 12, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

It's quite possible that the RAM is incompatible with the motherboard or that the timing on it is wrong. Try the one stick thing that racket suggested, also try setting the most conservative timing settings in the BIOS. You should also run memtest86 and see if it turns anything up. Faulty/incompatible RAM is definitely the most common cause of spontaneous reboots.

Well.. it's the same RAM that's been running in it for years (3 128Mb sticks; various generic brands; PC-100) without a problem. I just acquired 2 sticks of Crucial PC-133 (good stuff) so I'm gonna' try that next.. this weekend. Thanks guys. If that isn't it.. I guess it's the mobo. Shame.. the BX-133 RAID was the very last BX chipset mobo EVER made.. but it's about 3 years old now and served me well. Besides.. maybe it's time for a bigger, newer CPU. I was always waiting for another Intel chipset.. I hate VIA/Apollo.

You could always go with an Nforce based motherboard, they're quite nice. I haven't really had any problems with SiS either. But yeah, VIA has never been that great.

Although, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a 64-bit system right about now...

In recent years VIA and SiS have improved vastly, especially with regards to drivers. Funny thing about the Athlon 64 boards (current ones) is that the best performers are the ones built around a VIA chip. So you can't say they aren't a worthy competitor. If you haven't had experience with a recent VIA chipset, you have no reason to be biased.

Anyway, the BX was a really good series. The i810 was crap compared to it. You COULD just get another one if you have a processor you want to use, otherwise you could get a SiS 735 or KT133A and a 1.8Ghz Duron. They're cheap as dirt and you could use your existing SDRAM, performance is decent too (my brother has a Tyan KT133A and a 1.6Ghz Duron, runs surprisingly well).

Yeah that's true, the newer VIAs aren't that bad. Their boards that came out in the AGP 1x/2x era were terrible, though.

Back