X800

Alexvrb

Established Member
X800 - I'd say "The Empire Strikes Back" here, but Nvidia is supposed to be the dark side... so I guess it's "Return of the Jedi".

Very nice, but it seems more like a stopgap measure to me. Although the fact that even the low-end version can compete with the 6800 is pretty sweet.

rx800_01.jpg

rx800_02.jpg

rx800_03.jpg

rx800_07.jpg

rx800_09.jpg

rx800_10.jpg

The funny thing about those normal map images (the ones with the old man) is that they totally ripped 'em out of the page for the lightwave normal map plugin...

Funny is how that red design looks so similar to the Microsoft Xbox Dashboard.

Hmmm... probable Xbox2 GPU?

Could be, but these things might be priced a bit high for that right now... by the time the XB2 is released, though, that might not be a factor. Although I would think it would have to be modified a bit, according to the article this is a pure DX9 card, and I'm sure MS will be pushing some extra features by the time the XB2 is released.

Besides... red is just ATi's color.

Originally posted by it290@May 5, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

Could be, but these things might be priced a bit high for that right now... by the time the XB2 is released, though, that might not be a factor. Although I would think it would have to be modified a bit, according to the article this is a pure DX9 card, and I'm sure MS will be pushing some extra features by the time the XB2 is released.

Maybe they will just modify it a little like they did with the GeForce3 chipset and turned it into the XGPU, you are right on that.

I heavily doubt Microsoft will use actual *proprietary* hardware... they will once more use slightly modified standard chipsets.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure MS will want to push DX10. That means an R5xx chipset, or something derived from it.

Ack, couldn't you have posted links? most of those were in the review I linked to... my internet is slow right now. Every time an image loaded, it threw my screen around. I'm dizzy...

Sigh... well Nvidia has released some even-slightly-higher clocked 6800 Ultra Extreme crap thing. It wins on some stuff, loses on others. It's going to be a messy messy fight, especially as driver revisions come into play.

Wasn't ATI supposed to be releasing a new line of chips based on all new technology? Did I hear wrong or are these still planned and will just be awhile before they are out?

Lemme know when these get below $150...

anyway, wasn't nVidia the "good guys" until the last generation stuff?

I can't entirely explain why, but I think ATI went from being largely irrelevant to being the good guys after they bought out FireGL and ArtX and Nvidia bought out the remains of 3dfx. Personally, I suspect that the computer industry just loves an underdog.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 5, 2004 @ 08:29 PM

I can't entirely explain why, but I think ATI went from being largely irrelevant to being the good guys after they bought out FireGL and ArtX and Nvidia bought out the remains of 3dfx. Personally, I suspect that the computer industry just loves an underdog.

Or maybe some people like red over green or vice versa. :lol:

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 5, 2004 @ 09:02 PM

Wasn't ATI supposed to be releasing a new line of chips based on all new technology? Did I hear wrong or are these still planned and will just be awhile before they are out?

They're still planned. Hence the discussion between myself and it290 about it being a "stopgap measure". There isn't a whole lot of technology changes in this one, but it is pretty sweet nonetheless. At any rate, R480 is already on the roadmap, and R5xxx may not be far behind. It makes you wonder what core is going to end up in the Xbox 2. The way they're designing the chips, they could use whatever is newest for the Xbox 2, and cut down on the pipelines and stuff to keep costs down. Who knows.

I'm still torn between both next gen cards. On the one hand NVidia has MUCH better linux support but the ATI is overall faster and has better image quality.

Why must you be so cruel?

Originally posted by IceMan2k@May 6, 2004 @ 04:04 AM

Why must you be so cruel?

It's all just a big plot to torture you, Ice. Nvidia and ATI are one and the same, my friend...

Back