XBOX 360 to be offered in two versions

That really sucks, what good is it without the hard drive? You have to get the $400 version. Oh well, I'll be bitching all the way to the store.

I thought this was planned for awhile... I remember hearing a while back that it was gonna be released in maybe even 3 flavors or something.

Eh, I don't see a problem with it... some people don't need the HDD or the wireless controllers. Why spend the extra 100 dollars to get stuff you don't need. The "core system" will be for those that game lightly.

Eh, I'm still not buying one though.

The only thing that really is needed out of that $400 package is the harddrive... It's quite a lot of money for a new system... I don't have any intention of getting it, but probably will 1-2 years after it's release as I typically do once prices drop....

Originally posted by lordofduct@Wed, 2005-08-17 @ 04:44 PM

Eh, I'm still not buying one though.

[post=138383]Quoted post[/post]​

This sucks for me since I work in retail and will now have to continually answer questions on the differences between the 2 packages. No gamer should even consider picking up the $299 model...

Not a real big deal for me, considering I cancelled my 360 order last week.

No games, and high price don't do it for me.

$400 eh?

Sony says they're not going to include an HDD for PS3 to keep prices down, yet Kutaragi says that it'll still cost you an arm and a leg to buy.

Revolution is still vaporware for all we know.

Dammit... Screw the next generation I say. I'll wait for RE5, and see what happens with VF.

Besides, I still got Odama, Fire Emblem, Mario Soccer, Mario Baseball, and Zelda to play on GameCube. Ninja Gaiden Black for Xbox, and RE4 on PS2 to keep me busy until Revolution hits. Plus all the older 'Cube games I haven't bought yet (Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, etc.).

That really sucks, what good is it without the hard drive?

The HDD was only good for music, and saving replays in my sports games. Memory cards all the way for me.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2005-08-17 @ 05:21 PM

The HDD was only good for music, and saving replays in my sports games. Memory cards all the way for me.

[post=138387]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't forget pirating games and watching movies and playing emulators!

I don't pirate games anymore, and I do emulation on Dreamcast.

Then again, that's just me. Whatever suits you Skank. :)

I changed my mind I'm going to have to go with Cloud on this one. $400 is ridiculous. Microsoft is killing themselves with this move, the lower price was supposed to be a key advantage of the 360. And if I am not buying this thing, I don't see who would because I'm one of those maniacs that buys everything.

Well, I'm cancelling my order as well. I've read previously the two flavors would be 20gb and 40gb versions, which could be upgradable later on, but all of the information i've seen also suggested that all xbox 360 systems would have wireless controllers.

It's not worth $100 more, for a $10 20gb hard drive and $35 wireless controller. I had really high hopes for this new system, and they just went down the drain.

I'm sure games will be able to take advantage of the HD, they'll just have to be able to run without one as well. But between this and the HD-DVD thing, MS is really jumping the shark to get this thing out on time. They just lost the price advantage over the PS3, basically. I think the more expensive package is the better deal, since you're likely to end up spending more on those items seperately down the road anyway, but it still sucks.

Besides, I still got Odama, Fire Emblem, Mario Soccer, Mario Baseball, and Zelda to play on GameCube. Ninja Gaiden Black for Xbox, and RE4 on PS2 to keep me busy until Revolution hits.

Did Odama ever get an actual release date? I want to play that game badly too. And as for RE4 and NGB, $100 is too much to drop on a bunch of extra functionality for a console, but well worth it for two game you've already played?

With MS confirming a $399.99 price point, I wonder what that means for Sony. Maybe the rumored $400-500 launch price isn't far off. Though the lower tier option is nice, you will be severly limited without the hard drive which costs $100 anyway. No hard drive means only backwards compatibility nativly programed (ie MS games only). At E3 they confirmed that X-Box suppoprt was through software emulation and only for "The Most Popular Games". I will bet that Panzer Dragon Orta isn't one of them.

$20 for an extrenal hard drive? Where are you shopping? Best price I can find is $53 for USB and $65 for firewire.

I have never felt so non-excited about a next gen launch in my life. The IDEA's behind the Revoultion sound cool, but we know nothing about it.

yeah really... what is the interface of the HDD on the XBOX. If its a standard 3.5" IDE drive ok I can see spending only 20 bucks on one. But isn't the XBOX 360 using the smaller drives that are inside some case... I don't know, haven't read any info on it. If you guys know, please tell.

Seriousily that was the only thing the XBOX had in my eyes, and the 360 either. The use as a media center. I modded my XBOX just for that alone, I didn't care about bootleg games, I never played XBOX games except PDO, TJ+E3, and Halo2 which I owned all of legite. I used the chip to watch movies, music, genny emulation, all that good stuff. It was so much easier then hauling a computer out and hooking it up and waiting for it to boot and all that. But now that I have my comp out there indefinately I have no use for an XBOX (some kid gave me 400 dollars for mine... FOUR HUNDRED HAHAHAHAHA)

core xbox + mem card (small capacity) = $340

full xbox will net you a bunch of extras for only $60 more, and your save games will have virtually unlimited capacity.

RE4 and NGB, $100 is too much to drop on a bunch of extra functionality for a console, but well worth it for two game you've already played?

Gaiden Black is $30 (I got $17 down on it already), and RE4 I'm re-buying simply because I love RE4 to death, and I want to compare it to the GameCube version.

Originally posted by schi0249@Fri, 2005-08-19 @ 02:41 AM

With MS confirming a $399.99 price point, I wonder what that means for Sony...

Flashbacks to the Saturn launch here. Though I doubt it's financially feasable, MS have handed Sony a massive trump card if they offer the PS3 for less than $299 for a basic unit.

If the Toshiba camp and the Sony camp decide to go with Blu-Ray for the standard, then I could see Sony trying to undercut MS. Though, I don't think they can go beneath $300

Right now the rumors are that the PS3 is going to be $399. I don't think Sony can go much lower than that, unless they decide strategically to really bleed money (which they'll already be doing at the $399 price point).

Back