Xbox controller recommendations?

ExCyber

Staff member
Okay, so far I've gone through three Xbox controllers, and all of them took less than 3 months to have something on them wear out, and AFAICT I'm not really abusing them or anything (it may be worth noting that I've had zero problems with my Dreamcast and GC pads):

Original MS Pad: R trigger doesn't always fully return to idle position and hovers right around the threshhold for it being read as pressed by most games that read it as on/off (probably there is both an analog state and a digital state returned by the controller, which would explain why it's in the same place)

Mad Catz Control Pad: Left thumbstick doesn't center properly

Mad Catz Control Pad Pro: Down button on digital pad gets stuck

The Controller S seems to be built slightly better, but I find the layout quite irritating, for reasons that should be obvious. ;)

So, anyone know if there are pads out there that aren't crap?

Always stick with original controllers, IMO... my MadKatz PS1 controller's sticks are also quite irritable now.

All the Xbox original pads I've used have worked fine, really.

For comparison, the worst off original pad I own is my first Dreamcast controller - the L trigger makes an irritating 'twang!' noise when pulled all the way. ^^; Otherwise works perfect.

I agree, original controllers are always best.

Personally I believe that the standard controller is the best. (not the gigantic American one)

oh... is that bad?

EDIT: Oh I see, cause I have bigger hands being that I'm American and a man. Well we all know what big hands means, eh Des? ;)

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mar 10, 2004 @ 09:58 PM

I like the gigantic american one

I agree....it's not that big really...the buttons are well laid out for most games that I play and if feels comfortable in your hands (mine atleast :blush: )

i have a friend that works for Xbox tech support, and he said that they've noticed 3rd party controllers break really fast, and/or blow out the controller ports on the console.

The only 3rd party thing i have connected to my box is an Action Replay memory card.

edit: oops, sorry, forgot to mention that I prefer the original US controller, not the S controller. The S does fit better, but the placement of the black/white buttons, and the start/back buttons is absolutely RETARDED.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:57 PM

Oh I see, cause I have bigger hands being that I'm American and a man. Well we all know what big hands means, eh Des? ;)

It means that you wear bigger gloves, right?

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mar 10, 2004 @ 08:52 PM

So, anyone know if there are pads out there that aren't crap?

As most people have already said - stick with first party controllers.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mar 10, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

oh... is that bad?

EDIT: Oh I see, cause I have bigger hands being that I'm American and a man. Well we all know what big hands means, eh Des? ;)

No, it is not bad at all, I am not criticising everything all the time.

And no, I do not know what that means, would you please let me know?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Mar 11, 2004 @ 12:12 AM

If you dont get it then you just don't get it

May I do, maybe I do not, maybe I am just playing with you and testing your courage.

*kiss*

Original controllers are the way to go. I myself also prefer the original Xbox controllers (the big one, not S). Only 1 has broken on me since launch, and that was due to my brother ramming it down into the floor full force after getting frusterated while playing me at halo. Poor thing didn't have a chance...

Originally posted by mal+Mar 10, 2004 @ 05:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Mar 10, 2004 @ 05:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Gallstaff@Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:57 PM

Oh I see, cause I have bigger hands being that I'm American and a man. Well we all know what big hands means, eh Des? ;)

It means that you wear bigger gloves, right?[/b][/quote]

No, it means he's ugly. But we've all seen him in the post-your-pic thread so its nothing new

---Ammut

(I kiddddddddddd :p )

Hmm, well I don't have an X-box, but I do have an X-arcade and I have to say it's a pretty decent controller. Should serve most of your gaming needs. ;)

Is it just me, or are controller designs consistently getting worse? I mean, the Dual Shock 2 is okay (although the dpad sucks), the Gamecube pad is terrible for anything that requires digital control, and the Xbox one is just plain crappy altogether. The DC pad is no champ either (actually, I prefer the Dual Shock, except for the L/R triggers). Whereas the Saturn (model 2) and Genesis 6-button pads were pretty much perfect. The SNES pad wasn't too bad either. I mean, fine, I don't care if you want to add more analog sticks or whatever, but don't rob me of my ability to easily press multiple buttons, or have a comfortable digital pad.

i have a friend that works for Xbox tech support, and he said that they've noticed 3rd party controllers break really fast, and/or blow out the controller ports on the console.

Hmm... big surprise there.. "I'm sorry, your controller ports are screwed because you used third party hardware... unfortunately, that's not covered under our support policy..." ..

I agree that a lot of 3rd party stuff sucks, but some of it is a lot better than the official stuff (think ASCII or Hori).

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Mar 11, 2004 @ 12:20 AM

May I do, maybe I do not, maybe I am just playing with you and testing your courage.

*kiss*

He's saying that if you have big hands you have a big wang! :banana

Originally posted by it290+Mar 10, 2004 @ 06:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Mar 10, 2004 @ 06:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is it just me, or are controller designs consistently getting worse?[/b]

I'd say the industry is still working out kinks left behind from the graphical jump to 3d... the controllers are still catching up. Not that I mind this generation controllers in the least, but you're right that button pressing doesn't seem as easy as Genny/sat days. I guess its because theres less focus on 'clicky' buttons and more focus on specialized triggers and dual-joystick movements. I hope to see some new designs for the next console generation that really innovate... but I certainly have my doubts that Sony/Microsoft will stray from the current formula, and Nintendo is being kooky enough with other ideas so maybe it'd be best if they followed the pack...

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@Mar 10, 2004 @ 07:02 AM

He's saying that if you have big hands you have a big wang! :banana[/quote]

whaaaat? No way :sarcasm:

thank you Captain Obvious :slap

---Ammut

Originally posted by it290@Mar 11, 2004 @ 12:52 AM

Is it just me, or are controller designs consistently getting worse? I mean, the Dual Shock 2 is okay (although the dpad sucks), the Gamecube pad is terrible for anything that requires digital control, and the Xbox one is just plain crappy altogether. The DC pad is no champ either (actually, I prefer the Dual Shock, except for the L/R triggers). Whereas the Saturn (model 2) and Genesis 6-button pads were pretty much perfect. The SNES pad wasn't too bad either. I mean, fine, I don't care if you want to add more analog sticks or whatever, but don't rob me of my ability to easily press multiple buttons, or have a comfortable digital pad.

It's not just you.

The Saturn and Genesis 6-button pads are KING!

Edit: Oh, yeah - just remembered --> Who else thinks that the pressure-sensitive buttons was a bad idea? Or, that they are just plain stupid?

Best XBox controler? The Pelican wireless one. Finaly got me to spend more time on my 'Box then on my 'Cube (via WaveBird).

Personaly, I can't stand the Sony controlers, either the digital PS1 one or the later analog models. The buttons seem too close together for me, which messes up my wrists by forcing me to hold it at a funny angle. For XBox, I've found I like both the original USA controler AND the S-controler, depending on which game I'm playing. The wireless controller from Pelican is based on the S design, so that's pretty much what I'm using all the time now. DC had a decent design, first party anyway. Of the current generation, though, I've found that I like the GameCube's design the best. The buttons are spread far enough apart that my large hands don't regularly hit multiple buttons and the size and shape are just right so that my wrists stay at a normal angle.

Best controller of all time, though? Saturn analog, aka the "NIGHTS" controller. Using that with NASCAR 98, nothing else has ever come close in a hand held controller for a racing game.

Back