xbox live and my router

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
i just bought prince of persia and it came with a free 2 month trial of xbox live, and i would like to download the new splinter cell content. So I looked on xbox.com and it says my router (a Linksys BEFSR11) is incompatible, but that is all they say. no reason why or if there is any way to fix it. so i was wondering if a firmware upgrade was possible to fix the problem or anything like that. I did a few quick google searches that didnt really turn much up, so any other help would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Jan 19, 2004 @ 08:03 PM

i just bought prince of persia and it came with a free 2 month trial of xbox live, and i would like to download the new splinter cell content. So I looked on xbox.com and it says my router (a Linksys BEFSR11) is incompatible, but that is all they say. no reason why or if there is any way to fix it. so i was wondering if a firmware upgrade was possible to fix the problem or anything like that. I did a few quick google searches that didnt really turn much up, so any other help would be much appreciated.

Probably doesn't allow the ports XBL needs, or something along those lines.

If you're very lucky, it isn't a hardware limitation and can be fixed via firmware... but I doubt it.

I have the BEFSR41 (basically same as yours but with 4 ports). One of the latest updates to the firmware had an Xbox update on it. Go to the Linksys website and take a look at yours. In fact we share firmware too.

Anywho from the version file that comes with the firmware:

1.45.6 Jun 24, 2003

8. Added Xbox support(not certified by Microsoft).

FACT: Their list of compatible routers is complete bullshit. Some of the ones they say are good are a pain in the ass to use and some of the ones they say don't work are the easiest.

The odds that it is impossible to connect with your router are really pretty low. (don't take that as a guarantee from me cause you never know)

you might try xbox-scene.com for answers. Also, I do believe you can set up the xbox with a static IP... I've done it before. If it has a static IP, then you know what it's IP is to set up the host.

Just had another thought.

You don't have any options at all for xbox live in your dashboard? Well then of course you can't connect, you don't even have live installed lol.

After live is installed, it shows up in your dashboard, where you can create accounts etc. It gets added in right next to memory, music, etc. Until you get this option to show in your dash, the connection issue is irrelevant.

You need to just toss the splinter cell disc aside for now, and install off of the prince of persia disc. If you can't get it installed just call 1-800-4myxbox and get them to tell you how to do it.

While doing the intial setup you're probably best off just plugging your dsl/cable modem directly into the back of your xbox. Rest the modem, then wait a few minutes, (1-5 depending on your modem i guess) and fire up the xbox.

As a side note I hope you aren't planning to do anything online w/ PoP, all it lets you do is look at your friend list.

I am sure there is a way around the e-mail problem......maybe it has the ports blocked on the new firmware or sumthin...I would haggle w/ that for awhile....I bet u could get it to work. And w/ the downloadable content games u could just load up live for a lil' bit then hook the stuff back up to the comp. and you';ll have all the content.

I've also got a BEFSR41. My friend has the same thing, only much older, and it worked fine with its original firmware (from like 2 years ago). He updated it recently to fix a couple of other issues, but both firmware worked fine with Live. But regardless, you said you did get it working with the new firmware? Well hopefully you'll get the problem with your email sorted out eventually.

Also, the Xbox Live router compatibility list isn't "bullshit", they just don't want to support other companies hardware if the out-of-the-box version doesn't work. But its not like they're stopping anyone from using updated firmware if it works, they just are giving you a list of what they've tested.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jan 23, 2004 @ 07:36 PM

I've also got a BEFSR41. My friend has the same thing, only much older, and it worked fine with its original firmware (from like 2 years ago). He updated it recently to fix a couple of other issues, but both firmware worked fine with Live. But regardless, you said you did get it working with the new firmware? Well hopefully you'll get the problem with your email sorted out eventually.

Also, the Xbox Live router compatibility list isn't "bullshit", they just don't want to support other companies hardware if the out-of-the-box version doesn't work. But its not like they're stopping anyone from using updated firmware if it works, they just are giving you a list of what they've tested.

You just proved my point that it is bullshit man. You say that the list is for products that work "out of the box". If this was correct then a bunch of my friends wouldn't have had to upgrade their firmware and configure ports to get their routers to work with live. They bought those routers for the specific reason that microsoft listed them.

At the same time, some of the routers supposedly not compatible straight out of the box work like a charm with no tinkering at all.

I do see that they have updated their list with a few changes, but it was so blatantly wrong in the past that I'd wager money that the manufacturers work w/ ms business wise to get the "xbox compatable" label on their product.

Back