XP vs 2K -- Let the Windows Battle Begin!

racketboy

Ok, I just got my new PC built and booting.

Now I'm trying to make the decision on what OS to use.

I've used both XP and 2K a lot but can't really make up my mind which one I want.

XP has some small features which are nice, but when it comes to overall speed and stability, I think 2K is better. I have no scientific stats to support this though.

Also, MS and others claim XP is fast at almost everything than 2K.

I try to take comments like that with a grain of salt though.

So anyway, share you comments on which you think is better and WHY.

Don't complain about the XP eye candy -- assume all that is turned off.

Also don't worry about old hardware/software support.

Mostly new stuff will be used (except my Matrox Marvel card -- except both 3rd party 2K/XP drivers are availible and still under development).

Assume the PC it is running on is like my specs:

2.4Hz P4 w/ Hyperthreading and 800Mhz bus

1GB RAM

120GB 7200RPM HD w/ 8MB cache

Gaming is not a big issue.

But heavy duty tasks like photo editing, video editing, video encoding/decoding, data compression, large file transfers are the important things.

Ease of use and stability are another high priority.

Tindo@heart

Originally posted by racketboy@Sep 8, 2003 @ 11:40 AM

Also, MS and others claim XP is fast at almost everything than 2K.

I try to take comments like that with a grain of salt though.
So MS actually tries to compare XP to 2000pro? . . as if there is a difference?

Hmm? that makes me suspect that MS is even aware of the benefits of 2kpro.

.. are you sure about those hefty Adobe requirements? maybe it meant XP or higher?

Gallstaff

Hey I just found a way to get windows of my choice and I was wondering wh ich you guys prefered? But insteadc of XP i was wondering about xp pro. So 2k or xp pro which is best?

I love the stability of 2k pro, and how it runs and looks and feels. Alas, I find that xp pro tends to have better support for more of my older programs and games. If you have a software library of older stuff I'd say go xp pro, but if you plan on having your pc on all the time go 2k pro.

racketboy, I'd go 2k if I were you, assuming premier runs on it (I hate adobe products lol). 2k is going to give you much more support... I just shut my other pc off after being on for a month the other day. That was on for a month without restarting or logging off or anything, and remaining connected to the net and aim the whole time.

edit: other pc is running 2k.

MasterAkumaMatata

Staff member
Originally posted by racketboy+Sep 8, 2003 @ 02:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Sep 8, 2003 @ 02:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok this is stupid:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs.html

The new Adobe Premeire supposedly requires XP w/ SP1.

What the heck? They can't get it to run on anything else?[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Adobe Premiere Pro

System requirements

Windows
  • Intel® Pentium® III 800MHz processor (Pentium 4 3.06GHz recommended)
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 1
  • 256MB of RAM installed (1GB or more recommended)
  • 800MB of available hard-disk space for installation
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Compatible DVD recorder (DVD-R/RW+R/RW) required for Export to DVD
  • 1,024x768 32-bit color video display adapter (1,280x1,024 or dual monitors recommended)
  • For DV: OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 interface and dedicated large-capacity 7200RPM UDMA 66 IDE or SCSI hard disk or disk array
  • For third-party capture cards: Adobe® Premiere® Pro certified capture card
  • Optional: ASIO audio hardware device; surround speaker system for 5.1 audio playback
[/quote]

I have the recommended RAM and video support, but damnit, I seem to be short of 0.06 GHz. :D

racketboy

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sep 8, 2003 @ 08:10 PM

(I hate adobe products lol).
Even Photoshop???

:slap

I couldn't live without Photoshop.

Never got much into Pagemaker or Illustrator.

Up to this point, I'm a Macromedia Freehand man.

Premiere never looked good to me until this new version came out.

But even now, I'm not quite sure.

Wish I could see a good features/performance comparison between it and Vegas

I use photoshop for my job, but that's the only reason, and even then it's only briefly. I personally believe that acrobat is a scourge adobe has released upon humanity and should burn in hell for it. They have the commercials of "is it better to give a pdf or receive one", and personally that's a tough choice. I mean, receiving a pdf sucks, because then you have to install acrobat, but giving one is probably worse... cause then you're inflicting said scourge on someone else.

Yes, yes I do. Short of buying a piece of software that is like $200 you can't do anything with a pdf except look at it. You can't extract text out of it, you can't edit it.

racketboy

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sep 8, 2003 @ 09:54 PM

Yes, yes I do. Short of buying a piece of software that is like $200 you can't do anything with a pdf except look at it. You can't extract text out of it, you can't edit it.
well you didn't mention your alternative

anyway.... back to the subject...

One thing I forgot I hate about XP is the activation.

I did a new HD and RAM install for a client and put XP back on it.

I had to call up MS and read back this 100-digit code back to some MS employee over the phone and convince them I wasn't doing anything wrong.

schi0249

Mid Boss
I hear people talk about that, but I have never had to call MS about my activation. I even replaced everything but the hard drive and video card.

mtxblau

Mid Boss
Having used both 2K and XP Home and Pro, I have to say, I cannot go back to 2K. XP is outstandingly reliable, and after tweaks it absolutely flies. (Once I tweak it, I back it up so that I don't have to keep reformatting/reinstalling and all that - I highly recommend Norton Ghost 2003, it's outstanding).

XP has better backwards compatability support, and with SP1 it's rock-solid.

I never had to worry about that activation business either - nor has anyone I know that runs XP (but maybe it's just my luck).

In any case, XP (personally) is the way to go.