Yabause

I was browsing SourceForge projects, and I found project Yabause!

I beg everyone with good knowledge and understanding of inner Saturn workings to help author by submitting patches and providing bug reports.

His coding style is C++, and he uses a lot of french, but I guess it is possible to live with this. If I will get enough brains for a project of this complexity, I would prefer to do vanilla C project a-la "Quake / Quake 2 engine": clean, tight, the only allowed C++-sizm is "//"

But then again, if it will eventually work, who am I to judge :)

Haha, just a tiny code fragment to show the french language influence:

Code:
  i++; // FIXME compte les instructions pas les cycles

switch(i) {

case 223951:

kill(Reveil<Vdp2>::pid(), SIGUSR1); // tue yabause, pourquoi ?

break;

case 447902:

kill(Reveil<Vdp2>::pid(), SIGUSR1); // tue yabause, pourquoi ?

kill(Reveil<Vdp1>::pid(), SIGUSR1);

i = 0;

break;

}

You know that French rules in Saturn emulation :)

Maybe you should just start learning it ;)

I got contacted by this guy, and he was quite cool...

Another French guy was doing a Saturn emulator; he was starting to have graphical results, but I haven't heard from him in a long time :(

His project was called SSX

Hi,

I'm currently switching my code from french to english and the next release will be more understandable for non french speaking people. This release will occur

as soon as I get this damned segfault fixed and will include as new feature a (simple) debugger : it will be possible to pause/resume emulation, execute instructions step by step and display the disassembled instruction.

The current release of yabause (0.0.2) is really crap, I've released it too fast, so I really want to do a clean 0.0.3 release.

Thanks for your interest.

Guillaume (yabause author, as you might have guessed)

Hi, maybe i can rls some patches, i haven't checked your site but if you can specify what you need i can rls a few patches... yah converting french to english would be helpful :) will this be a GTK+2.0 program? or would it be inited trough console? :damn: its C++

Originally posted by Guillaume@Dec 17, 2003 @ 11:16 AM

will include as new feature a (simple) debugger : it will be possible to pause/resume emulation, execute instructions step by step and display the disassembled instruction.

Cool. Saturn dev and translaion scene needs that kind of stuff. I will love to see a debugger as complete as possble -instructions, registers, memory,...-.

Keep up the good work.

To answer Piratero and madmalkav:

If you want to help, you're welcome ! :)

For time being, I'm trying to run the bios, but it's entering an infinite loop and I've added the debugging part to find out the cause. I think the BIOS is waiting for some interrupt that does not occur.

Yabause will remain a "console" program because I want to keep a minimum of dependencies, I will surely use OpenGL and/or SDL for the graphic part.

If you want me to add some features in Yabause, feel free to ask...but keep in mind that for now, Yabause don't even run the BIOS...

well, the option to load BIN executables would be nice and probably very easy to implement... just load em to 0x06004000 and jump innit?

Originally posted by Guillaume@Dec 18, 2003 @ 07:07 PM

For time being, I'm trying to run the bios, but it's entering an infinite loop and I've added the debugging part to find out the cause. I think the BIOS is waiting for some interrupt that does not occur.

Did you add the SMPC interrupt with the correct timing ? For each command you have a timing (which is described in the SMPC manual).

Doing so should help you going further ...

Originally posted by Guillaume@Dec 18, 2003 @ 06:07 PM

If you want to help, you're welcome ! :)

Too bad my coding skills sucks. I'm more familiar the game translation that with emu programming, by far.

Anyway, I will take a look of the english commented code when you release it.

Thank you Runik !!!

I'm so stupid, I was not sending the smpc interrupt after the intback command...it's now going further on !

Thank you very much !

I have also add the possibility to load binaries at 0x6004000

At last I've made a new release of yabause.

I've started translate it to english, so it should

be more understandable to non french speaking

people.

I've added some debugging possibilities :

pause/resule emulation and step by step execution,

and it is now possible to load binaries at

0x6004000.

The last thing is that I'm now using SDL and it's

far more portable, a friend even managed to

compile yabause on windows using mingw.

Nice work :) Will you release a Windows executable release in addition of the sources release ?

It seems there was some great improvements, Linux fans will be happy.

2004-05-21-19_50.png

Yeah, I helped him a bit lately to get his controls working :)

Now he's in starting to look into the logo assembly ;)

You helped me a lot Runik ! :)

Yes, I'm currently working on the logo assembly.

I'm also trying to get it work on windows, but there's some weird bugs left.

Originally posted by Guillaume@Jun 8, 2004 @ 10:39 AM

You helped me a lot Runik ! :)

Yes, I'm currently working on the logo assembly.

:)

I'm also trying to get it work on windows, but there's some weird bugs left.

Maybe it's because of the SDL, I saw you use it to make your emu working on both Linux and Windows.

Back