7 Mhz Genesis Signal Runtime

Hi,

as far as I know the megadrive runs at about 7 MHz, novadays signal runtimes are a big deal, making sure that all the signals arrive at the same point at the processor, due to high speeds of modern processors there is not much space left, so all tracks on the board have to have the same length.

I thought it would be a goog idea to extend the genesis slot with a piece of board and a flat ide cable and an isa or genesis slot on the other end, just like an remote port, for my genesis is due to room space limitations stored in a place which is not good accesibble.

My question is, how important are those signal runtimes at 7 Mhz and how do I calculate track length tolarances, to calculate if I am handy enough with my tools to not disturb balance and does anyone know about timeouts ? meaning a longer way to the catrigde means a longer signal runtime which could produce a loss of the signal, for the answer possibly arrives outside of the clock frame it should have.

Wow, my english is bad, sorry for that, if my blah is to weird, tell me and I try to rewire it ;)

Thanks

Tak Wah

Maybe you could try posting it in the Dev section... some of the guys in there don't stray out of that area. Actually you should ask for the thread to be moved there by a admin (save space and all)

At 7MHz signal propagation times shouldn't be that much of a problem. Signal noise will be more of a problem, but with some extra ground lines and appropriate shielding I would imagine you could probably go at least a couple of feet.

Ummm, yeah good idea asking here.

I was thinking about linking my genesis cartridge slot to the 32x with a 10centimeter IDE cable (2*40).

You confirm it will work?

Thx a lot

Bye

Fonzie

I think that foil thingie is a good idea ;)

And I don't confim anything, for I have no idea if it will, work, but if I have time to do it, i will find out ;)

Back