"Afterburner" GBA Light Kits - Anybody try one yet???

VertigoXX

Mid Boss
Just wondering if anyone here has installed one of the "Afterburner" light kits for GBA. I'd like to know if they work as good as they look on the site before ordering a few of them.

As I was shouting about in a post below, I have an Afterburner GBA on order from Lik-Sang.. Supposed to be out 10 June, but it has been delayed a few times. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here :)

I've heard its nearly impossible to get a clean installation.

By clean installation I mean without getting dust stuck to the screen.

Also I hope you have a gamebit screw driver as one is not included with the Afterburner kit.

Ya, I was figuring I'd have to set up my "clean room" work table for it. (Small room, BIG dust filter. And if I wanna be really elaborate, I have access to surgeon style face masks and those goofy papery shower cap style things.)

As for the screwdrivers, I'll just do the same as I've done with all the GB colors, GB pockets, and ancient traditional GB's that I've messed with (replacing broken power switches, usualy... once trying to trade the screen from one with a broken switch into one with a busted screen... emphasis on "trying"): Use a small flat head screwdriver to get them out and replace them with phillips head screws.

Heh... I can't believe I didn't think of that.... I'm going to spend the whole weekend changing all the screws on all my Nintendo consoles :p

Quote: from Myname on 10:48 pm on June 7, 2002
As I was shouting about in a post below, I have an Afterburner GBA on order from Lik-Sang.. Supposed to be out 10 June, but it has been delayed a few times. I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here :)

Well it finally got here.. It's not like I had to wait too long or anything :(. At least it was worth the wait though, it's fantastic. Mine's installed without the dimmer switch because I didn't want to mess the case up, but there's been no point where I would've gained benefit through turning it down. It's actually so good I've used it as a torch on a couple of occasions :).

Only complaint (apart from the wait) is that there are a few specs of dust under the screen.. But that's bairly noticable. I'd highly recommend it if you are confident about the installation.

Apart from the dust under the screen battle, is the installation difficult. (The use of the soldering iron in particular... I've had some bad luck with even low-power soldering irons lately and nuked a few PSX's.)

Mine was preinstalled, sorry that wasn't made clear. From what I understand of it, unless you're EXTREMELY confident with electronics and soldering.. Just forget about it. Maybe you could sell yours and get a preinstalled one from somewhere..

Back