ASM CD access

Hi you all.

Let me introduce myself.

I'm a french guy, 30 years old, married, 1 little daughter.

I'm a SEGA Genesis hobbyist and would like to move on the Saturn. But ... not the easy way ! You see, I've learned Genesis for the Genny itself, of course, but for learning and mastering the 68k too. And ... I'm quite happy about it today.

Now, I want more on the Saturn, and ... everything with ASM !!! I know, I know, it's that hard !!! But, trust me ... the SH2 doesn' impress me. Nor the cache, nor the pipeline contention. I'll deal with the CPUs synchronization. I've learned my DSP too, and even if I'm not very self-assured about VDP 2 (and VDP1 as well), I know I'll manage it.

The thing that really frightens me is .... CD-ROM !!! How to access, how to handle datas, how to load more textures, how to play WAV while running the game and so on ... I know that the SGL and all the C lib do furnish the required functions ... but in ASM ? Is there any access methods in ROM, a register to look for or so on ?

Welcome to the boards!!! That's great! avoid the SBL/SGL libraries. Look at 0x05800000 through 0x058fffff (this is the "CS2" area connected to the "SCU") --- To play audio, you'll be surprised that the Saturn has a m68k to manage sound. The "VDP1" and "VDP2" aren't very difficult to understand, simply read the fine (and official) documents at antime's site. I really really wouldn't mind if you devoted your research on the CD-ROM drive due to the absolute lack of information that is out there! Good luck and don't give up!:marchmellow:

Yuuuuummmmmmmm

Antime is my 1rst ressource.

But what about the 2 others .... !!!!

Thank you guys !

ob

Back