Backup Batteries dead

Ok, well, I recently got my hands on copies of Sonic 3, and Shining Force 2. The backup batteries in both of them are dead, which isn't a HUGE problem in Sonic 3 (but I'd like it to save anyway), but in Shining Force it's a must.

I've heard that you CAN replace the batteries, but AFIK they're soldered on the board, and you need to get the cart open first. (I know you need a GameBit, and I know a local store who will open the carts for me)

Does anyone have any info on replacing the battery, or where to get it done? (If you have any info on doing the same for SNES and GB, please let me know as well, it could come in handy)

I want to play Shining Force 2 on the original machine! ;)

For the replacement CR2032 batteries with solder tabs try Digikey (www.digikey.com) or Farnell (www.farnell.com). If you can solder it's pretty easy to replace them - just use desoldering braid to remove the existing battery and solder in the new one. If you prefer, you can solder in a battery holder so you can use "regular" CR2032s that you can buy anywhere.

The Game Bit drivers can be had from Lik-Sang (www.lik-sang.com), RS Components (http://rswww.com) or MCM (http://i-mcm.com).

Mike

hey, thanks a lot! That's exactly the kind of info I need, as I haven't ever seen the batteries with the clips. I'll probably do the holder trick - as what happens if it dies again? :)

Found this thread while looking for Genesis 2 repair info... Anyway, I could replace the battery. All I'd need would be a security driver. >_<

Easy enough to come by if you know where to look, but not available at brick and mortar stores.

depending on how desperate you are to do that you can buy gamebits at import stores susally (lik-sang and the like)

you could also file away the middle of a standard flatblade screwdriver so it fits overs the screwhead and use that

it depends on how much use you are going to get out of it, if its just for a couple of battery replacements then just modify a screwdriver, if like me you frequently need to undo gamebits then buy a gamebit of the appropiate size (i own bits/drivers for most of the wierd screw systems like tri-wing, torx, game bit, and the driver for nokia phones and the like because i do some odd bits of work for other people where its worthwhile buying the proper tools)

Dead battery in sonic 3? sonic 3 doesn't use a battery to save, i've opened one myself, instead its just a mem chip, which means saves on sonic 3 last forever. so i say, your chip's bad, find a new cart

Aren't those batteries rechargeable? I heard that they slowly recharge when the console is on.

I've got Ultima IV for the Master System, and I haven't played it in... 7-8 years or so. I tought my old save file was surely dead, but a friend borrowed it and said my save file still worked fine (and he could also save his game).

Unless that game in particular uses something other than batteries (I never cared to open it).

Aren't those batteries rechargeable? I heard that they slowly recharge when the console is on.

No, that only applies to Lithium Ion batteries, such as those used in the Sega CD (for the back-up RAM) and Dreamcast (for the clock and user settings) - they do recharge when the console is turned on.

The standard lithium batteries used in cartridges aren't rechargeable, but they do last a very long time.

I've got Ultima IV for the Master System, and I haven't played it in... 7-8 years or so. I tought my old save file was surely dead, but a friend borrowed it and said my save file still worked fine (and he could also save his game).

Like I said, these batteries last a very long time! 5-10 years is normal, but they can sometimes last even longer than that - I have a SMS Miracle Warriors cart which is 14 years old, and the battery is still good.

Mike

I have three Sonic 3 carts that blank saves regularly. If it were flash memory, it wouldn't be that uppity.

The Legend of Zelda uses a CR2032 lithium button cell to save. That came out in late 1986, so there's no reason for mid-nineties Genesis games to go without them, especially when Sega uses CR2032 cells for all of its subsequent hardware with internal memory.

Sorry about the triple post. The board gave me error messages instead of a receipt message.

Rechageable batteries have good and bad sides. True, they will last longer than a lithium alternative (CR2032), but they are initally more expensive to install. Also, desipte being rechargable they do have a limited life. Eventually they will hold no charge at all.

There is also a small but real possibility of a malfunction that will cause a rechargable battery to overheat and either leak or explode.

Back